seconded- great story MM

Leave a comment:

• swag
    replied
    Great story, MM.

Leave a comment:

• MormonMatthew
    replied
    Many years ago, not too long after The Radiators "retired", I heard via the grapevine that Reggie Scanlon, the Rads' bass player was involved in a new project called the New Orleans Suspects. After countless times seeing The Radiators, I had gotten to know Reggie a little bit, a very nice, soft-spoken guy who would always take a minute to say hey to me when he would see me at my traditional spot at stage left, directly down in front of Camille Beaudoin, another very cool guy who I had also become friendly with over the years.

I saw that the N.O. Suspects were playing the Maple Leaf on some random Wed. night in November, and decided that a few quiet days in New Orleans sounded good, so I found a cheap flight and headed down. The day of the show I spent the afternoon wandering the Quarter, enjoying several of my usual haunts without any huge Fest or tourist crowds, and properly hydrated with assorted potables I hopped in a cab and got to the Leaf a couple of hours early. The place was dead, the stage had already been set up, but there was less than 10 people total in the bar, but I was already there, so I grabbed a cheap beer and took a seat. One of the only other people there was a slightly heavyset guy, a little older than me who looked completely ordinary except for the bright magenta, elaborately embriodered traditional Chinese silk jacket he had on, who was sitting down a few barstools from me. I told him I liked his fashion sense, he laughed and we started chatting, he seemed a little amused when I mentioned that I had flown down from Salt Lake City for a band I had never seen before, I asked him if he had ever seen them play before or if he knew anything about their music and he said he thought they were pretty good, but that they had only played together a handful of times and were still trying to find their sound, but people seemed to like their music. We talked for a few more minutes about music, Jazzfest and New Orleans, (I was fairly slurged by that point and remember bumming a cigarette from his pack that he was smoking from) and by then the place begins to fill up, so I tell him it was nice chatting with him and go hit the restroom and then head towards the stage to stake out a place up front. A bit later the band takes the stage, I get a surprised "Hey Man, nice to see you!" from Reggie, and then the music starts, and within a just few minutes the band is locked into a tight, solid groove, strong and funky, with the music-hungry crowd on our collective feet, dancing in unison. hanging on every note. As everyone here knows, just a beautiful scene to behold.

After a couple of songs I was more than a little shocked when I see my new buddy in the Chinese jacket make his way past me and hop on stage with a soprano saxaphone in hand, where he welcomed everybody to the show, introduces the band and they all begin to start the next song. It turned out to be one of the best nights I have ever enjoyed at the Maple Leaf, a good sized crowd, but with room for everyone to move & groove, unlike the cramped, claustrophobic clusterfluck that Leaf shows are infamous for during Jazzfest.

So that is how I first met Jeff Watkins, a modest, down-to-Earth guy who didn't feel the need to play "Rock Star" to a clueless kid from Utah (i didn't learn that he played sax for James Brown until many years after this) but instead just acted like anybody else, interested, friendly and real.

Hope he gets better, this wicked ol' world needs more class-act cats like him.
    Last edited by MormonMatthew; 06-28-2021, 07:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gards
    replied
    I know I am a bit slower than normal at the moment, as it is Monday morning in these parts.

But I am sure that J&J started a Thread on this subject about a week ago.

So I once again wish Jeff all the best and I will kick in to the Go Fund me as soon as I find where I have put my US Dollar Visa Card, and I trust that others will do the same

Leave a comment:

• TornAndFrayed
    replied
    Originally posted by duende View Post
    Oh, man. That’s terrible news. Hoping Jeff makes a full recovery and can resume his irreplaceable role in the band. There’s a gofundme link on the band’s FB page:

Hello Friends... We have a bit of serious news for everyone....

Last weekend while we were out on the road, our brother, The 9th Wonder of the World, Jeffrey T. Watkins suffered a series of mild strokes. He his now safely back in New Orleans recovering from the ordeal. We are attempting to raise some funds to help him with the needed therapy and recovery assistance that he will need to get him back to 100% healthy.

We Have set up a GoFundMe project to help him out...Link Below:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraise...ns-saxophonist

thanks for the link

Leave a comment:

• duende
    replied
    Oh, man. That’s terrible news. Hoping Jeff makes a full recovery and can resume his irreplaceable role in the band. There’s a gofundme link on the band’s FB page:

Hello Friends... We have a bit of serious news for everyone....

Last weekend while we were out on the road, our brother, The 9th Wonder of the World, Jeffrey T. Watkins suffered a series of mild strokes. He his now safely back in New Orleans recovering from the ordeal. We are attempting to raise some funds to help him with the needed therapy and recovery assistance that he will need to get him back to 100% healthy.

We Have set up a GoFundMe project to help him out...Link Below:
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/fundraise...ns-saxophonist

Leave a comment:

• Fundraiser show for Jeff Watkins of N.O. Suspects

Hate to see the news that he suffered a series of strokes about about a week ago. Fundraiser show at tips coming up
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-benef...-E8pKwQh9CMAjg
Working...
X