What's New Pussycat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's New Pussycat.

Frenchmen Street will have two new offerings soon.

'The Rambler' is set to open soon next to 13. A two story club. I didn't see a stage on first floor, so maybe music upstairs ? Or just a bar like next door ( 13 ).

'The Vice and Virtue Ministry' is set to open in the old Café Rose Nicaud space between Marigny Brasserie and Snug Harbor. The name is intriguing. From what I can see from peeking in window, it still looks more café than nightclub. We shall see.....

'Madame Vics'. Not on Frenchmen, but not too far away at Elysian Fields and N. Robertson. I had been meaning to check out this place since it opened a few months ago. Finally made it Sunday night and was super impressed. For those that love great music clubs in off the beaten path places, this is your place. Located in a gorgeous 19th Century mansion, tastefully renovated and decorated. The band was Sleazeball Orchestra with Jonathan Freilich, Joe Cabral and other top players. Traditional in instrumentation, but the Sun Ra cover let you know they were going to stretch the boundaries. Good stuff !! Highly recommended.
    Madame Vic's | Facebook

Ha! I'm just about to leave the house to catch Tom Jones at Shepherds Bush. I thought for a moment that you had psychically tuned into my schedule.

Good news on the venues...the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post
      Ha! I'm just about to leave the house to catch Tom Jones at Shepherds Bush. I thought for a moment that you had psychically tuned into my schedule.

Good news on the venues...the more the merrier.
      Good news indeed. And I initially thought Tom Jones was opening for the Stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

'The Rambler' is set to open soon next to 13. A two story club. I didn't see a stage on first floor, so maybe music upstairs ? Or just a bar like next door ( 13 ).

'The Vice and Virtue Ministry' is set to open in the old Café Rose Nicaud space between Marigny Brasserie and Snug Harbor. The name is intriguing. From what I can see from peeking in window, it still looks more café than nightclub. We shall see.....

'Madame Vics'. Not on Frenchmen, but not too far away at Elysian Fields and N. Robertson. I had been meaning to check out this place since it opened a few months ago. Finally made it Sunday night and was super impressed. For those that love great music clubs in off the beaten path places, this is your place. Located in a gorgeous 19th Century mansion, tastefully renovated and decorated. The band was Sleazeball Orchestra with Jonathan Freilich, Joe Cabral and other top players. Traditional in instrumentation, but the Sun Ra cover let you know they were going to stretch the boundaries. Good stuff !! Highly recommended.
        Madame Vic's | Facebook
        Thanks for the report. Madame Vic’s is intriguing.

Comment

I sent the FB page for Madame Vic's a note about the advisory, when trying to "like" the page, that they might be sharing data. It's probably sharing your deet's with the bands that play there, but hopefully they'll fix it.

Comment

Good to see new life in the 'hood! I'm hoping that St. Claude corridor will be the right place while we're visiting. My wife still has a soft spot for Frenchmen, so we'll be there a bit, too, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

Good to see new life in the 'hood! I'm hoping that St. Claude corridor will be the right place while we're visiting. My wife still has a soft spot for Frenchmen, so we'll be there a bit, too, I suppose.
              St. Claude has a new club as well. Sea Cave. Located by old Truck Farm ( Chaz Fest ).
              Sea Cave Arcade | Facebook

Also, new place on N. Rampart, by where Meaux Bar used to be. American Townhouse is the name. Not a music club as far as I can tell.
              American Townhouse Features New Work by David McPherson

Comment

The Rambler is open. Not much New Orleans funky soul yet. Looks like a sports bar in a midwestern mall.

Comment

I like the sound of Madame Vics as well!

Comment

What's in a name? New Frenchmen Street cafe finds out fast | The Latest | Gambit Weekly | nola.com

Comment

The sign 'debacle' was too much to overcome. The new name is the catchy ( ? ) 'Frenchmen All Day' and they have live music today.

This is how nightclubs are born. Cafe>Cafe with booze> Cafe/restaurant with booze> Restaurant with booze and 3 piece acoustic band> Bar with bar food and full on electric band. In ten years it will be serving pizza rolls, daiquiris and hosting a cover band playing bad versions of Motown classics.

Comment

Thanks for the intel, Gregg. Happy to hear that new places may be housing music that I will be happy to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                          Thanks for the intel, Gregg. Happy to hear that new places may be housing music that I will be happy to hear.
                          No problem. They also have a Rueben on the menu I will eventually be trying. Did not feel like cross posing on Blumie's Rueben thread.

Comment

Speaking of 13.

Frenchmen Street tavern 13 closes after 17 years, local po-boy shop expands in its place

The restaurant and bar called 13, a longtime late-night spot for food and drinks on Frenchmen Street, has closed, but its owner has partnered with another local restaurant to expand at its former home.

The Bourbon Street po-boy shop NOLA Poboys has opened a second location here, at 517 Frenchmen St., called NOLA Poboys & Bar.

It has a roster of po-boys, gumbo, crawfish pies and other staples alongside a full bar.

Like 13 before it, NOLA Poboys keeps late hours, serving until 2 am.
                            NOLA Poboys & Bar plans to add tater tachos to its own menu soon, along with more vegan items.
                            https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...072ef52f2.html
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Did you know that the founder of NOLA Poboys is a hardcore jazz fester and flies one of my favorite totems?

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...be9df3967.html

Comment

Working...
                              X