Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peak Anders?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peak Anders?

    For me, it is the band he played with around 5 years ago.

    Anders
    Carl
    Eric
    Brady

    kind of Crazyhorse-esque
    https://youtu.be/eFrxLam5QfI

  • #2
    Peace is the only album that does it for me. 2013 I think. He was good live around then as well. Definitely getting his Neil on.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post
      For me, it is the band he played with around 5 years ago.

      Anders
      Carl
      Eric
      Brady

      kind of Crazyhorse-esque
      https://youtu.be/eFrxLam5QfI
      agreed....and when they had Mr. Grow on occasion, oh my. It hurt my feelings when they broke that down. I was ready to watch that for years to come.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TornAndFrayed View Post
        For me, it is the band he played with around 5 years ago.

        Anders
        Carl
        Eric
        Brady

        kind of Crazyhorse-esque
        https://youtu.be/eFrxLam5QfI
        Agreed. I caught a download of a set he played at the High Sierra Music Festival in 2016 and it was outstanding. Crazy-horse-esque is exactly how I'd describe it.

        Comment


        • #5
          He seems peak again and again every few years. I loved that 90s band, then again with Kirk Joseph and Tim Green and again getting heavier with The Bayou Buddha, Brady and other various players and then yet again with Tork.

          Comment


          • #6
            I really liked the On The Road To Charlie Parker era when the American Patchwork album came out. That song and Mind Of A Junkie felt like raw nerves. There was a period around then when it was like guitar exorcism for Anders. I thought when McFadden joined, Anders relinquished too much guitar to him.

            Comment


            • #7
              The band with Kirk Joseph and Tim Green had the greatest potential for transcendence imo, but Anders wasn’t remotely sober in those years so the moments of greatness were fleeting. But boy were they great when it all clicked.

              I have loved most of his phases; I think I agree with Gregg that he seemed to be peaking when Peace came out, and I thought that was the album that was going to put him on the map. But he never toured behind it and he left Alligator after that. Always thought that was strange but I have no idea of the backstory.

              Comment


              • #8
                I’m with Chop on this one, American Patchwork was my favorite along with its very different predecessor Coming Down. But live the American Patchwork period was my favorite - I think that was briefly Anders with Carl D, Stanton and Gros, if I’m remembering right.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                  I’m with Chop on this one, American Patchwork was my favorite along with its very different predecessor Coming Down. But live the American Patchwork period was my favorite - I think that was briefly Anders with Carl D, Stanton and Gros, if I’m remembering right.
                  I didn't recall Coming Down was right before American Patchwork but it is another favorite, as well. I also think the holiday show at Tip's with Luther Dickinson in 2011 was the best of those he's done.
                  Last edited by chopitulas; 08-22-2021, 06:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

                    I didn't recall Coming Down was right before American Patchwork but it is another favorite, as well. I also think the holiday show at Tip's with Luther Dickinson in either 2011 or 2012 was the best of those he's done.
                    I didn’t really recall it but i saw the chronology online and that’s correct, but there was a 3 year gap. His performance at the Joy (I think?) with Luther as part of the Southern Soul Assembly was one of the more powerful shows I’ve seen

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Perhaps I have enjoyed more Anders Osborne live shows than any other New Orleans artist. Now that's lots of shows. I have seen him play many different cities and venues. The discussion of peaking has been on this board previously. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. This isn't an attack on the participants. He is a New Orleans Treasure period.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by teetertotter View Post
                        Perhaps I have enjoyed more Anders Osborne live shows than any other New Orleans artist. Now that's lots of shows. I have seen him play many different cities and venues. The discussion of peaking has been on this board previously. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. This isn't an attack on the participants. He is a New Orleans Treasure period.
                        Amen, TT.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I still enjoy the melodic Which Way To Here? when Theresa Anderson was in the band. In those days Anders' writing and singing seemed very Lowell George-like to my ears. I agree with Mr TT: Anders ain't over yet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                            I really liked the On The Road To Charlie Parker era when the American Patchwork album came out. That song and Mind Of A Junkie felt like raw nerves. There was a period around then when it was like guitar exorcism for Anders. I thought when McFadden joined, Anders relinquished too much guitar to him.
                            I'd agree with this - and the interplay between Carl and Anders was riveting during those live shows. Memory plays tricks on you, but my recollection is that Anders roared back out of re-hab and, with 45 minutes for a set to celebrate and promote the album's release at Jazzfest, the band did a 20-minute version of Cortez the Killer. Baller move. And I always thought that Anders was kind of on his best behavior when he shared the stage with Chief Monk, at least during those Fest night shows.

                            I still half-expect to see a Craigslist ad for the "butterfly" Strat out here one day.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I know, I know, there is a myriad of Anders videos to view. I even have a really nice one from a Blues Cruise, I believe, that stynger gave me, but it's early in the day. Too early to for the heavy stuff yet. The below is a link to a Lockn' show, 2015, and it's just a nice and mellow view. Begins with Coming Down, one of my favorites. Watch if you're so inclined.

                              https://youtu.be/3HDf4d5sGls

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X