Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dont sleep on the storm in the gulf

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dont sleep on the storm in the gulf

    going to be close. looks like we could get a direct hit from up to a cat 3. tracking a little to our east, but its going to be close. LA landfall for sure imo

    projected to hit late Sunday/early monday

  • #2
    We're watching

    Comment


    • #3
      Sending you our good luck from CT, where we dodged a bullet last weekend. Fingers crossed!

      Comment


      • #4
        Here we go again and again and again............ Can you imagine if this uncertainty was in the week leading up to or during Jazz Fest?

        https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/key_me...g?202108261201

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
          Here we go again and again and again............ Can you imagine if this uncertainty was in the week leading up to or during Jazz Fest?

          https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/key_me...g?202108261201
          We’ve had some pretty severe storms during Fest in the past, beyond just heavy rains. One year, back when Fest used to sponsor nighttime concerts, Fest was holding concerts in a giant tent along the river, and the tent was destroyed by a storm. If I remember correctly, it was after that that the concerts were moved to Municipal Auditorium.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Blumie View Post
            We’ve had some pretty severe storms during Fest in the past, beyond just heavy rains. One year, back when Fest used to sponsor nighttime concerts, Fest was holding concerts in a giant tent along the river, and the tent was destroyed by a storm. If I remember correctly, it was after that that the concerts were moved to Municipal Auditorium.
            The very first day of JF that I was to attend back in '89 was cancelled due to thunderstorms that damaged tents at the fairgrounds.

            But nothing compares to a hurricane, especially a Cat 2 and up. Even when storms don't hit here it creates uncertainty and chaos at the airport even when nothing big is going on in town. That Stones show here 2 years ago at The Dome was a debacle.

            I saw The Neville Brothers back in 1990 in that big tent by the river(Saw them again with Los Lobos at Municipal Coleseum a year or 2 later). We went so we could see them and then see Stevie Ray Vaughan to close out the fest.

            Comment


            • #7
              Update. We in the cone!

              https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                This latest update calms me down a bit. Last night and this morning, I was just seeing graphics of a 120 mph storm sitting just off the coast near Morgan City. That's still possible, of course, or it could be even stronger and closer. But NHC graphics show NOLA with 61% chance of TS winds, and just 11% chance of hurricane (cat 1) winds. So I'm still paying attention and prepping, but not with the same sense of certain doom that I had earlier this morning.


                NEW ORLEANS LA 34 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 27(27) 28(55) 6(61)
                NEW ORLEANS LA 50 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 6( 6) 18(24) 3(27)
                NEW ORLEANS LA 64 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 2( 2) 7( 9) 2(11)
                Last edited by swag; 08-26-2021, 10:31 AM.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by swag View Post

                  This latest update calms me down a bit. Last night and this morning, I was just seeing graphics of a 120 mph storm sitting just off the coast near Morgan City. That's still possible, of course, or it could be even stronger and closer. But NHC graphics show NOLA with 61% chance of TS winds, and just 11% chance of hurricane (cat 1) winds. So I'm still paying attention and prepping, but not with the same sense of certain doom that I had earlier this morning.


                  NEW ORLEANS LA 34 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 27(27) 28(55) 6(61)
                  NEW ORLEANS LA 50 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 6( 6) 18(24) 3(27)
                  NEW ORLEANS LA 64 X X( X) X( X) X( X) 2( 2) 7( 9) 2(11)
                  Yeah who knows? The old waiting game which is already getting old. I just back from traveling for a few weeks to NYC/NJ and Austin. I'm thinking I should have not come back but had jury duty which was of course canceled once again. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Same crap, new year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Time to load up on tootsie rolls

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Relax people.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Blumie View Post
                        Time to load up on tootsie rolls

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                          Relax people.
                          I'm stocked up. Couldn't be more relaxed. Haha. I guess I should go food & booze shopping though.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Since the storm is now called Ida, how about some love for Queen Ida Guillory who is still kicking at 92. Retired but still living in the SF Bay Area. She brought a lot of spice to stages over her career, Et Toi!

                            Oh, and get your storm kit ready.
                            Last edited by Meters Fan; 08-27-2021, 05:15 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
                              Since the storm is now called Ida, how about some love for Queen Ida Guillory who is still kicking at 92. Retired but still living in the SF Bay Area. She brought a lot of spice to stages over her career, Eh Toi!

                              Oh, and get your storm kit ready.
                              I didn't know she was still alive. Thanks for the update. She was a fixture in the Bay Area in the 70's. My band once played right before her at the SF Arts Festival in Civic Center Plaza, I believe in 1977.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X