Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotel sells all rooms to FEMA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hotel sells all rooms to FEMA

    I'm not sure if anyone else is in a similar situation. I had a 5-night reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD from Oct 6 -to Oct 11. Despite the cancellation of JazzFest and the ramifications from Ida, I was still planning (hoping?) to come down for the 5 days. My brother is also looking to come down. When searching on the honors.com website for a room for my brother, the days were sold out and as I looked further, the hotel is closed for the time period. I got hold of their manager who explained that they sold all the rooms to FEMA. The hotel's management is incapable of switching my reservation to another hotel. He also stated that most things are closed in the city which is different than what I've been hearing. I expressed my desire to support the city I love and to enjoy what it offers.

    Also, it is roughly 3 weeks before my reservation dates, and I have not received any communication from them nor has my reservation been canceled. The manager did say that FEMA is there until Oct. 8th, possibly longer.

    I share this as others may be in a similar situation. I certainly understand and respect why FEMA is down there, but I think the hotel's decision to SELL all of their rooms to FEMA without any regard to people who made reservations is a bit bogus. Anyway, if you have a reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, you may want to double-check that they are still good. And this may be true for some other properties.

    Am I right to think that by early October, the city will be looking for tourists to return? Or am I being overly optimistic and possibly selfish (not the first time)?

  • #2
    Originally posted by JazzfestGood View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else is in a similar situation. I had a 5-night reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD from Oct 6 -to Oct 11. Despite the cancellation of JazzFest and the ramifications from Ida, I was still planning (hoping?) to come down for the 5 days. My brother is also looking to come down. When searching on the honors.com website for a room for my brother, the days were sold out and as I looked further, the hotel is closed for the time period. I got hold of their manager who explained that they sold all the rooms to FEMA. The hotel's management is incapable of switching my reservation to another hotel. He also stated that most things are closed in the city which is different than what I've been hearing. I expressed my desire to support the city I love and to enjoy what it offers.

    Also, it is roughly 3 weeks before my reservation dates, and I have not received any communication from them nor has my reservation been canceled. The manager did say that FEMA is there until Oct. 8th, possibly longer.

    I share this as others may be in a similar situation. I certainly understand and respect why FEMA is down there, but I think the hotel's decision to SELL all of their rooms to FEMA without any regard to people who made reservations is a bit bogus. Anyway, if you have a reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, you may want to double-check that they are still good. And this may be true for some other properties.

    Am I right to think that by early October, the city will be looking for tourists to return? Or am I being overly optimistic and possibly selfish (not the first time)?
    Hey JFG, yes, the city will be looking for tourists come early October. See my previous posts in multiple threads. I have had three recent instances of poor customer service by airbnb hosts (not airbnb the platform) presumably emanating from the same basic human foible, greed. Supply and demand, charge what the market will bear is alive and well with Ida aftermath and raging viral illness. A few days before Ida hit, my host for a 30 day stay I had booked in 7th ward beginning 9/28 cancelled stating the virus for the reason. I inquired about another property in CBD with a different host that took a week to respond post Hurricane(became unavailable in the interim). Third, I then made a reservation at a nice property on Esplanade Ridge . That host ignored messages asking about the condition of his place post storm. I called him. He said that instead of honoring my reservation, the place would be rented to insurance adjusters. Finally, I communicated directly with Superhosts, airbnb, through messaging to obtain up to date information on the condition of their listed properties. With this recent personal communication, hopefully the host will honor their commitment, if for nothing else, to maintain their Superhost status. Good luck! See you at Teetertotter Fest 2021! Spend money, party with abandon, the "audience" is critical to live music!

    Comment


    • #3
      Since the hotel itself couldn't help you, your next call should be to Hilton itself. I see a half-dozen or so Hilton-branded hotels in the FQ/CBD/CC areas with availability for your dates. See if they can switch your booking to one of those, and ask them to honor your rate.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for your responses. And yes, I failed miserably with Hilton's support. I called a couple of days ago and was told that my concerns and request for assistance were elevated to a higher level and that I will receive a phone call. Not holding my breath.

        Comment

        Working...
        X