Newport Folk & Jazz Festival Founder George Wein 1925 – 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newport Folk & Jazz Festival Founder George Wein 1925 – 2021

I felt so joyful that day several years ago when He was up on Acura for a small recognition and moment of appreciation. Some of the others here can fill in the details regarding the specific year and such but I was just so glad that I stopped by and witnessed the event.

Comment

RIP Mr Wein. He was also a decent musician. I saw him play with Nicholas Payton and Doc Cheatham at the old La Music Factory across the street from HOB back in the 90s. I took a bunch of B&W photos which I still have.

Comment

In 1987, which was the first Jazz Fest I attended, he played piano in a band including Buddy Tate, Norris Turney, Slam Stewart, Scott Hamilton and Warren Vache.

And in 2016, he came out beaming on the Jazz stage after a great set by Geri Allen dedicated to Errol Garner.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
          I felt so joyful that day several years ago when He was up on Acura for a small recognition and moment of appreciation. Some of the others here can fill in the details regarding the specific year and such but I was just so glad that I stopped by and witnessed the event.
          If it's the day I'm thinking of it was first Sunday 2018, I was on the Acura stage seated on the little side-stage bleachers, where I'd been given a spot for the Magnificent 7 show. He came out right after their set ended, while they set up for Irma Thomas. I recognized him and was blown away, have some video of his speech, a really cool moment for me, but probably can't figure out how to post it here. Woman next to me asked if i could text her the video, which I did, turned out to be Quint's sister.

Comment

RIP George.

What an amazing career he had.

As fate would have it. I was listening to Louis and Ella Fitzgerald when I read this sad news.

Pappa Gards had a video of the Newport Jazz Festival which was about Pops playing there and it featured George a lot and Lionel Ferbos was in it as well either with Pops or Pres Hall.

I will try and find it.

Comment

R.I.P.
              Thanks for sticking to you guns! I can see him organizing a Fest in the hereafter.
              “The Real Thing”
              We come a long way with race relations. We have a long way left to go.
              https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...bc961b78a.html

Comment

Here is an interview with George Wein by Marc Myer for his JazzWax blog which I found particularly interesting for his comments about the rock festival business and audiences and how they pertain to the current status of Jazz Fest:http:// https://www.jazzwax.com/2021/09/geor...1925-2021.html ​​​​​​​

Comment

That man was responsible for so many wonderful music memories for so many. What a life. God bless him.

Comment

Thanks George for giving us JF.

Comment

I really feel like Jazz Fest begat every other smaller local festival that New Orleans has, as well as setting the standard for other large national festivals. What a legacy.

Comment

George and Quint interviewed on Allison Minor stage at JF 2019. Very special!

Comment

There is is a good editorial in todays Advocate which says that "if ever a New Englander has earned a good old fashioned New Orleans send off, its George Wein".
                          It is well worth reading, and it talks more about his life and achievements, legacy etc.

I am too dumb to post the link unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                          X