Chickie Wah Wah will reopen October 6, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swag View Post
    I'll swing by at some point - I have to pick up my shirt. Maybe 8-ish, and if it's not crowded, I'll hang for some music.
    Just arrived and got my shirt. As of 6:13pm, it looks like there are less than a dozen of us here.

NOTE: CASH ONLY AT THE BAR TONIGHT

Food menu (provided by Emmylou’s — cash or Venmo):

Smoked turkey sandwich ($10)
    Pulled pork sandwich ($8)
    Jalapeņo cheddar sausage sandwich ($8)
    Grilled corn sandwich ($4)
    Pit beans ($4)
    Last edited by Blumie; 10-06-2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blumie View Post
      Just arrived and got my shirt. As of 6:13pm, it looks like there are less than a dozen of us here.

Pit beans ($4)
      I was hoping to be there, but not feeling well. Can shirts still be purchased, or is it pre-order only?

Comment

Pit beans ($4)
        That all sounds pretty damn good. Will they be there on a regular basis?

Comment

I guess the crowd came later. I got there about 8:30 and it looked plenty full. Good for them, but I just picked up my shirt and left.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

That all sounds pretty damn good. Will they be there on a regular basis?
            I think so, except for Saturdays, when a buddy of mine will be doing a taco pop up.

Comment

I guess the crowd came later. I got there about 8:30 and it looked plenty full. Good for them, but I just picked up my shirt and left.
              Yeah, by 7 or so it was pretty full. Not uncomfortable, but still full.

Comment

I think so, except for Saturdays, when a buddy of mine will be doing a taco pop up.
                It all sounds good. I live blocks away (as do you), always looking for more close to home food options.

Comment

The latest, from Keith Spera.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...7913fc2d6.html

Meschiya Lake quits Chickie Wah Wah, even as plans to sell the music venue move forward

Barely two months after she helped reopen Chickie Wah Wah as its talent buyer, singer Meschiya Lake has cut ties with the music venue.

She no longer works there, and says she won’t perform there anymore either.

“I’ve completely backed away from it,” she said this week. “I thought it was going to be so awesome. I gave it my all.

"But it took a 360-degree turn very quickly. It turned out to be very different from what I thought. There was stuff going on that I didn’t agree with.”

Lake declined to elaborate on the nature of her disagreements.

In late September, she was full of optimism about her new role at Chickie Wah Wah. The cozy club at 2828 Canal Street, known for its roots-oriented local musicians, touring Americana acts and attentive audiences, had been closed to the public since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

The club’s future was even more uncertain after owner Dale Triguero died July 8 from complications following heart surgery.

Reggie Seay, an attorney and longtime friend of Triguero's who often worked the door at Chickie Wah Wah, was named executor of his estate. Triguero, 68 at the time of his death, wasn’t married and had no children. His two brothers, who live in New York, are his only family heirs.

The estate intended to follow a retirement plan Triguero had discussed. According to Seay, Triguero had wanted to sell a house he was renovating in Algiers Point, use the proceeds to pay off the Chickie Wah Wah building, then sell the building and business and move to Los Angeles.

After Triguero’s death, Jacques Ferland, another Triguero friend and a fixture at Chickie Wah Wah, lobbied Seay to reopen the venue prior to any sale. Lake, a regular on the club’s schedule for the past decade, was also keen to see live music restored to the room.

With the estate’s blessing, Ferland – who repairs and restores pianos and installed one in the bed of a pickup for the roving “Piano In a Truck” pandemic concerts – and Lake jointly took on the responsibility of bringing Chickie Wah Wah back to life.

Working together, they spruced up the venue. The room hosted a celebration of life in honor of Triguero on Oct. 5, then officially reopened to the public the next night with a performance by Lake and pianist Tom McDermott.

Lake filled the rest of the October and November calendars with many of the same artists that Triguero frequently booked.

But by late November, she had resigned.

Like Lake, Seay declined to elaborate on what went wrong.

“I’m not going into the specifics of the disagreement,” Seay said. “I don’t know that it serves any purpose to get into the details. It’s one of those things that happens sometimes when folks don’t see eye to eye.

“We are very thankful for everything Meschiya did for the club. We wish her well in everything she does in the future.”

Lake said she is still owed compensation for the time she worked at Chickie Wah Wah. Her attorney and an attorney representing the club are “tying up loose ends,” Seay confirmed. “I have every confidence that it will get resolved.”

Following Lake’s departure, Ferland took over booking duties. He and Seay are now running the club jointly.

“Our partnership has worked out well,” Seay said. “I do the business, legal and financial. He does the hands-on work with inventory and the calendar and making sure things work.”

Meanwhile, the plan to sell Chickie Wah Wah is moving forward.

The house that Triguero owned on Algiers Point has already been sold. The Triguero estate is now working through the process of paying off the Chickie Wah Wah building and obtaining a clear title to it.

Once that process is complete – possibly as soon as this month or early January – the building and the Chickie Wah Wah business will be put up for sale together.

Given that the club will likely have a new owner in early 2022, there was some discussion about whether or not shows should be booked for January. The last date currently on the calendar is the Fortifiers on Dec. 18. With Seay and Ferland both planning to be out of town during the holidays, they decided to close Chickie Wah Wah for the last two weeks of 2021.

But they are lining up shows for January. Should a new owner want to continue operating Chickie Wah Wah as a music venue, an uninterrupted schedule would be helpful, Seay said.

If Chickie Wah Wah hasn’t been sold by mid-January, they’ll start booking February.

“We don’t know how this is going to play out,” Seay said. “We anticipate keeping it going until we hand the keys over.”

Given the number of inquiries he’s fielded already, he believes a buyer will step up quickly.

“It’s encouraging that so many people have talked to us and expressed interest,” Seay said. “We’re optimistic that Chickie Wah Wah will continue as it has been.”
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

The latest, from Keith Spera.

Quite interesting. I've been to a few shows over the past weeks and its such a lovely venue. Breaks my heart to think of it going away. I hope a new owner is found and it continues on.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post

Quite interesting. I've been to a few shows over the past weeks and its such a lovely venue. Breaks my heart to think of it going away. I hope a new owner is found and it continues on.
                      Agreed.
                      When we were there in October, we were there a few times and we were so happy it had reopened.
                      I hope they find someone special to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

Agreed.
                        When we were there in October, we were there a few times and we were so happy it had reopened.
                        I hope they find someone special to buy it.
                        SWAG??

or

jjazznj ?

Comment

Meschiya’s Facebook post announcing her resignation, which has since been edited, initially suggested ethical differences with the others, which I find troubling. But the worst part is that Meschiya won’t be performing there anymore, at least for now, so I’ll need to make my way to the Spotted Cat to see her.

Comment

Honestly, I was concerned about the members of Galactic buying Tip's for similar reasons. It might be difficult for a principled, ethical, kind, person to deal with some of the realities of owning & operating a nightclub. Hard not to think of Steve Rubell or Bill Graham when the notion of music or nightclub impresario comes up. Either you're a bleeding-heart simpatico type or a borderline sociopath who could hard-ball a decades-long friend for an edge. It doesn't have to be shorting acts or employees, or robbing Peter to pay Paul, to come up against the vagaries of booking & putting on music. God bless'em for having the unique disposition to provide a safe fun place for us to see music played - but I have no illusions about the toll it might take.

Comment

I have said before, the way to have $1 million dollars in the live music business is you start with $2 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                                I have said before, the way to have $1 million dollars in the live music business is you start with $2 million.
                                True Dat

A guy I know has been involved in many areas of the music biz for years.

He has been somehow able to bring artists whose Music he likes down here and not loose a fortune.

He got lucky years ago and toured a virtually unknown Black Keys and broke even.

Then when they broke big big they were good enough to stick with him rather than go with the big boys and he wound up with his first and I think only arena tour so far. And he was able to put away a decent fighting fund to continue touring other acts that he was trying to expose
                                Last edited by Gards; 12-09-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X