Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nola Situation (considering a visit) - Tourists wanted? Needed? Not a good time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nola Situation (considering a visit) - Tourists wanted? Needed? Not a good time?

Hey Y'all

For any of you local to Nola or to the southeast region that has been or is still affected by the recent Hurricanes, I hope things are looking up and everyone is ok. Anyway, to my questions for locals...what is it like now down there? Are restaurants operating somewhat normally, are visitors frowned upon or accepted/wanted, are shows still happening at venues that have gotten power back or did not get too damaged during the bad weather?

My usual JF crew has cancelled the flights planned for the entire 2 weekend ordeal, and our 11 night airbnb rental, etc. Any night shows that were cancelled or postponed, we took refunds. Jazzfest tix were refunded, including stones. However, the one show I have tix for that was not really even a part of the jazzfest experience aside for being Sunday night that was going to be the final night of Fest, was Gojira at the Civic. This has not been cancelled or postponed, the band has made it to the states from Europe and begun their tour, so this show will go on. I miss New Orleans, and have been safely attending events and traveling again (vaccinated, and very precautious when traveling and attending all kinds and sizes of events). I also would love to support some local restaurants, while taking a nice weekend or extended weekend vacation to Nola for what would have been weekend 2. This way I get a nice little vacation in my favorite city, eat some great food, support businesses I love, and still get to catch the one show I have tickets for that has no refunds or changes made/offered.

Therefore, are tourists welcome at this point? Or are the hospitals full, the covid and ida problems still running rampant, and tourism is not needed and it would not be fun for the tourists either? I do not want to book flights and/or lodging for a 3 or 4 day weekend, if it is not the right thing to do right now or if Gojira is all the music I can see and Food will be hard to come by (dining out wise) etc...

Any advice or personal updates from locals would be awesome

Thanks and stay safe Y'all

Come down, wear your mask as the local edict dictates, spend money, support New Orleans! Restaurants are open, some may have limited menus. There are lists of clubs that are hosting live music, here is a list from the NOLA marketing arm, NOLA & Co. has put together. They have said that people are still coming in October, so, hop on that plane and enjoy New Orleans!!!!
    https://www.neworleans.com/nolaxnola/events/

Comment

Come on down. A good time will be had and we need the support !!

Comment

C'mon down! Rosetree pretty much covered it. Plenty going on even if if things are a little different than usual.

Music: http://www.satchmo.com/nolavl/concer...qw1sN4REb9rB3k

Food: https://nola.eater.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
          Come on down. A good time will be had and we need the support !!
          Also shared in another thread by MG: "This has been my go to since Covid started. New Orleans Concert Line (satchmo.com)"

Vaccination rate overall (>12 years old) remains stubbornly depressing in LA (looks like NOLA area is slightly better).

We are getting more comfortable with (air) travel and shows (all have been outdoors with the exception of Billy Strings)... But I don't want to give / get COVID to or from anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by rosetree View Post
            Come down, wear your mask as the local edict dictates, spend money, support New Orleans! Restaurants are open, some may have limited menus. There are lists of clubs that are hosting live music, here is a list from the NOLA marketing arm, NOLA & Co. has put together. They have said that people are still coming in October, so, hop on that plane and enjoy New Orleans!!!!
            https://www.neworleans.com/nolaxnola/events/
            I'd check before heading out to any shows listed on that site as some have been postponed or cancelled. They really need to update their listings.

Comment

As long as you're vaxxed, come on down.
              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Do it. The city isn't 100%, but there's plenty ready and you'll have a great time. The only drawback is that hospitals are full, so if you are concerned about a medical emergency, give it a second thought. Urgent care centers are ok (I've used UC a couple weeks ago with no issue).

Comment

Nancy and I had the same question, but after speaking with friends, we will be down Oct 7-13. Hope we will see some of you then!

Comment

Don't want to put a damper on the party, the restaurants and clubs want you here. Just doublecheck on the hotels! There was a discussion on another thread about hotels unilaterally canceling reservations (and not notifying the guest in advance) so they could book the entire hotel to FEMA or Entergy or whoever. I think at this point in the process that's hopefully in the past, but just make sure you have a place to stay.

Comment

TTF! What else you need to know?

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                        As long as you're vaxxed, come on down.
                        Please get vaxxed whether you are coming or not.

Comment

We were in town last week for Earth Wind and Fire. It was definitely quiet in the Quarter but it was also early in the week. We got in around 8 on Monday night and it took us a bit to find an open place close by to grab dinner. But we had a longer than expected drive and we were limiting ourselves to places we could walk.

We did find dinner and stopped at 3 bars on the walk back. So it was only quiet relative to a normal NOLA experience . Overall we had a great couple of days.

Have your vaccination card ready. We were asked to show it everywhere, which made me happy. Plenty of places are open but with hours being limited you might need to plan ahead a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post

Please get vaxxed whether you are coming or not.
                            Hear hear.

Comment

We'll be in town for three weeks. We'd planned to go to FQF and JF, but even though the festivals canceled, we decided to still make the trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X