No announcement yet.

Other Festivals, 2022!! or "what else do we have to look forward to?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just spent four days in beautiful northwest Arkansas in Fayetteville at the Roots Festival. Chefs from all over the country, a Taste and Talk series that was most excellent and fantastic music including Wood Brothers, Molly Tuttle (Fred, you are so right! ), Joe Purdy, Peter Rowan, Betty Lavette, Taj Mahal, Brady Blade Sr and the Hallelujah Train, North MIssisssippi Allstars and many lower tier folks! Renee has been in Arkansas for a week and we've had a wonderful time, including a trip to the free Crystal Bridges Art Museum built by the Waltons and a stop at Pizzeria Ruby for some of the best pizza anywhere!

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
      Just spent four days in beautiful northwest Arkansas in Fayetteville at the Roots Festival. Molly Tuttle (Fred, you are so right! )

we've had a wonderful time, including a trip to the free Crystal Bridges Art Museum built by the Waltons and a stop at Pizzeria Ruby for some of the best pizza anywhere!
      Wish I would have joined you for Roots. It was on my radar.

I'm glad you enjoyed Molly.
      Just in case you missed this.
      Molly on PBS News Hour in June.

How guitarist and singer Molly Tuttle became a bluegrass music star - YouTube

The Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville is amazing. Must see if your nearby.

Comment

• Wild Things lineup.

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
          Wild Things lineup.

See you there!

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
            Wild Things lineup.

From where I am viewing the lineup has disappeared.

And sadly I will once again have to miss Wild Things this year.

Which is a bummer as we had a great time a few years back, despite the weather related tent misadventures on the first evening.

Comment

• They missed ya BennyBoy. Many of us do.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/06/burnin...am-huge-fight/

Comment

• For any others heading to HSB, this sounds like a great evening show:

poster-994x1536.jpg

Comment

• Gretna cubes:
                  https://www.gretnafest.com/schedule.php
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post
                    For any others heading to HSB, this sounds like a great evening show:

poster-994x1536.jpg
                    I brought up the GAMH calendar and was immediately whisked back to the ridiculously good Aristocrats show we caught in Sacramento last night. If you're in SF and you're a guitar geek like me, it'd be a must attend Friday night. Back to the Elvis benefit shows, I'm intrigued - but somewhat resigned that it probably wouldn't work for us. The early show starts at 7, too early to leave the park. The late show doesn't start til 10, and the logistics of staying in Outer Sunset and getting to the venue aren't great. The tix are priced in the benefit-event range ($100), but there really aren't any bad spots in the house. I'm reminded that I've never made any of the Arhoolie benefit night shows during HSB weekend either. Getting old sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

I brought up the GAMH calendar and was immediately whisked back to the ridiculously good Aristocrats show we caught in Sacramento last night. If you're in SF and you're a guitar geek like me, it'd be a must attend Friday night. Back to the Elvis benefit shows, I'm intrigued - but somewhat resigned that it probably wouldn't work for us. The early show starts at 7, too early to leave the park. The late show doesn't start til 10, and the logistics of staying in Outer Sunset and getting to the venue aren't great. The tix are priced in the benefit-event range ($100), but there really aren't any bad spots in the house. I'm reminded that I've never made any of the Arhoolie benefit night shows during HSB weekend either. Getting old sucks.
                      Yeah, we opted for the early show, which I realize means leaving the park early and I’m sure I will have a few FOMS when the schedule comes out. But we’ll still be dealing with a bit of jet lag so the 10 pm show is too late for us. I love the venue and it sounds like a good show for us because my better half will also enjoy it. Also just learned through Jim that the backing band will be Larry Campbell, Teresa Williams, Ruth Davies, Paul Revelli and Austin de Lone.

Comment

• How are the crowds at HSB compare to JF crowds? Can you get from stage to stage and still get near the front?
                        HSB is on my bucket list. Maybe 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                          How are the crowds at HSB compare to JF crowds? Can you get from stage to stage and still get near the front?
                          HSB is on my bucket list. Maybe 2023.
                          I’ve only been once before, in 2019, so my experience is limited. I heard complaints about crowding in prior years, but in 2019 the crowds were apparently down considerably due to some changes they implemented for the first time in the wake of the then-recent mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, including: the presence of armed guards strategically positioned throughout the park; the elimination of certain interior walking paths that were shortcuts between stages; the banning of coolers; and the restriction to clear plastic stadium bags.

Using Tommy Bahama backpack cooler chairs, we found it all pretty workable. Yes, I was able to get from stage to stage and still get near the front.

Comment

• I will never forget her set at Telluride Bluegrass this year.

Enjoy if you get a chance to see her at HSB.

Rhiannon Giddens - Wayfaring Stranger - YouTube

Comment

• Times moving between HSB stages vary from day to day. Obviously Friday is the least crowded day. Porch is the least crowded stage. Rooster's (Marx) meadow is very narrow and hard to get in and out of. Towers of Gold and Swan are back to back so its pretty quick between. Banjo in Hellman Hollow is pretty wide open.

Its tempting to try and dart between stages but it gets harder as the day goes on. Best bet is to park yourself at one stage and take some sorties to other stages.

The Hellman Museum, a pop up, has AC.

Grass Valley rule applies - if there is an empty chair, you can sit in it till the owner comes back. Thank you Warren Hellman!
                              Last edited by Meters Fan; 09-07-2022, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Here is a taste of Telluride Bluegrass. One of my favorite Bluegrass bands.

Kitchen Dwellers - Telluride Bluegrass 2022 Recap - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X