Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tedeschi Trucks Band Coming Back To The Saenger Jan 7&8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Have my DC tix for Thurs JAn. 17th. Too cheap to buy up front ($152) but 3rd row balcony (behind loge) is not bad for what amounts to $86. Love the band in the theaters. Hope to see them at JF 2022 also. Hope to see them at Red Rocks sometime also.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Gards View Post

      Lock Up Your Grand Mothers.
      Ok, whatever you say...

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by swag View Post
        I had similar problems, "try another device" on both personal and work laptops. Eventually succeeded using the android app.

        Going both nights, looking forward to it.
        We're going both nights too and are looking forward to it! We saw them earlier this month at the Beacon with Jorma- they were GREAT!

        Comment


        • #19
          I went to see “Learning To Live Together: The Return Of Mad Dogs & Englishmen” last night at The Broadside. The film shifts between Joe Cocker’s 1970 tour through clips from the original “Mad Dogs” film, and footage from the Tedeschi Trucks Band’s gig at the Lockn’ Festival in 2015. The film also features interviews with the surviving players of the original shows. Once again Leon Russel is the star of the show. Cool movie worth seeing although there was hardly anyone there last night.

          The Tedeschi Trucks Band footage is a result of the band wanting to work with Joe Cocker in 2014 in tradition with Lockn’ annual presentation of a special, one-time get-together performance, however, Cocker bowed out last minute likely due to lung cancer that would later take his life later that year in December. In honor of his memory the following year Tedeschi Trucks Band, along with Warren Haynes, Chris Robinson, and John Bell filling in for Cocker’s vocals, performed for nearly four hours at Lockn’ 2015.

          https://www.instagram.com/p/CT7Rht2L...d-46f2ce838bdc

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
            I went to see “Learning To Live Together: The Return Of Mad Dogs & Englishmen” last night at The Broadside. The film shifts between Joe Cocker’s 1970 tour through clips from the original “Mad Dogs” film, and footage from the Tedeschi Trucks Band’s gig at the Lockn’ Festival in 2015. The film also features interviews with the surviving players of the original shows. Once again Leon Russel is the star of the show. Cool movie worth seeing although there was hardly anyone there last night.

            The Tedeschi Trucks Band footage is a result of the band wanting to work with Joe Cocker in 2014 in tradition with Lockn’ annual presentation of a special, one-time get-together performance, however, Cocker bowed out last minute likely due to lung cancer that would later take his life later that year in December. In honor of his memory the following year Tedeschi Trucks Band, along with Warren Haynes, Chris Robinson, and John Bell filling in for Cocker’s vocals, performed for nearly four hours at Lockn’ 2015.

            https://www.instagram.com/p/CT7Rht2L...d-46f2ce838bdc
            I might have gone had it been inside. Really didn't feel like sitting outside for it. I am hoping, of course, it ends up on a streaming service that I subscribe to and I have heard they are working on that.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
              I went to see “Learning To Live Together: The Return Of Mad Dogs & Englishmen” last night at The Broadside. The film shifts between Joe Cocker’s 1970 tour through clips from the original “Mad Dogs” film, and footage from the Tedeschi Trucks Band’s gig at the Lockn’ Festival in 2015. The film also features interviews with the surviving players of the original shows. Once again Leon Russel is the star of the show. Cool movie worth seeing although there was hardly anyone there last night.

              The Tedeschi Trucks Band footage is a result of the band wanting to work with Joe Cocker in 2014 in tradition with Lockn’ annual presentation of a special, one-time get-together performance, however, Cocker bowed out last minute likely due to lung cancer that would later take his life later that year in December. In honor of his memory the following year Tedeschi Trucks Band, along with Warren Haynes, Chris Robinson, and John Bell filling in for Cocker’s vocals, performed for nearly four hours at Lockn’ 2015.

              https://www.instagram.com/p/CT7Rht2L...d-46f2ce838bdc
              Sounds cool.

              I was lucky enough to see Leon Russel several times when he was touring towards the end and they were still really good shows.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Gards View Post

                Sounds cool.

                I was lucky enough to see Leon Russel several times when he was touring towards the end and they were still really good shows.
                I saw him way back in May of 1976 at Nassua Coleseum in NY. A couple of years after his commercial peak but a great show. I did see a few times back in the 90s and he played well but had little interaction with the crowd and seemed to have health issues. The last time I saw him he played Space Captain with TTB in NYC at The Beacon Theater back in 2011 which was very cool. Leon Live (along with Mad Dogs...) was one of my favorite live albums back in the 70s.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I saw him in November 1970 at Fillmore West with Miles Davis also on the bill. Thanks, Bill Graham! (I had tried to see Miles with the Dead in April that year but got busted in a car that I didn't know was full of drugs outside the venue and spent the weekend in SF County Jail instead.) Also saw the Mad Dogs tour at Winterland that same April with Van Morrison 2nd billed doing the "Moondance" material with the Woodstock band. What a night!

                  Saw Leon in 2006 when I evacuated to Northern California and he still delivered a strong show.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I saw Leon Russell a number of times. Even in a tiny club with less than a hundred people attending when he was in a jazz period. I was at that Lockn' show. Up front. Just a splendid show. One of the best that I have ever seen. It is a very sore point with me that it is no longer available for viewing on youtube because of "copyright issues". There were some excellent recordings that have all been stripped away. This film is the producers first film so I've read. It would take a great deal of manipulation to make Leon come alive. He was not exactly comatose, that would be an exaggeration, but he was less than energetic to be polite. I may or may not go to see, cannot decide. The live show and the video's were just so good.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                      I saw Leon Russell a number of times. Even in a tiny club with less than a hundred people attending when he was in a jazz period. I was at that Lockn' show. Up front. Just a splendid show. One of the best that I have ever seen. It is a very sore point with me that it is no longer available for viewing on youtube because of "copyright issues". There were some excellent recordings that have all been stripped away. This film is the producers first film so I've read. It would take a great deal of manipulation to make Leon come alive. He was not exactly comatose, that would be an exaggeration, but he was less than energetic to be polite. I may or may not go to see, cannot decide. The live show and the video's were just so good.
                      Leon is way chattier in the movie than I thought he would be. Some parts I was not crazy about but overall worth seeing.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                        I saw him in November 1970 at Fillmore West with Miles Davis also on the bill. Thanks, Bill Graham! (I had tried to see Miles with the Dead in April that year but got busted in a car that I didn't know was full of drugs outside the venue and spent the weekend in SF County Jail instead.) Also saw the Mad Dogs tour at Winterland that same April with Van Morrison 2nd billed doing the "Moondance" material with the Woodstock band. What a night!

                        Saw Leon in 2006 when I evacuated to Northern California and he still delivered a strong show.
                        We definitely do not get double bills like back in the 70s. At least TTB have some decent openers some of the time but you rarely see totally different genres on the same bill like Bill Graham used to to do. The recordings I have of Van from 1970 are by far the best.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                          We definitely do not get double bills like back in the 70s. At least TTB have some decent openers some of the time but you rarely see totally different genres on the same bill like Bill Graham used to to do. The recordings I have of Van from 1970 are by far the best.
                          The Van recording at Fillmore West from April 1970, the Mad Dogs engagement, has circulated for years. If you haven't run into this one before also from Fillmore West that surfaced a few years ago, I think I like it even better. For one thing, it has a version of "Astral Weeks." The amazing thing is I was there that night as my friends from high school did the light show for that. I only wish the 2nd set had come out, as well.

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl859v_vziw

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

                            The Van recording at Fillmore West from April 1970, the Mad Dogs engagement, has circulated for years. If you haven't run into this one before also from Fillmore West that surfaced a few years ago, I think I like it even better. For one thing, it has a version of "Astral Weeks." The amazing thing is I was there that night as my friends from high school did the light show for that. I only wish the 2nd set had come out, as well.

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl859v_vziw
                            I have 2 recordings from there in 1970, 4/26 and 10/9. In fact I have multiple versions of each one. I guess someone tried touching up the sound. Easily my 2 favorite live recordings of him. He's usually good live but that's my favorite era of his. I finally got to see him at that last Jazz Fest but was not really into it all that much. I'd rather see him with a small intimate band like back in the day.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                              I have 2 recordings from there in 1970, 4/26 and 10/9. In fact I have multiple versions of each one. I guess someone tried touching up the sound. Easily my 2 favorite live recordings of him. He's usually good live but that's my favorite era of his. I finally got to see him at that last Jazz Fest but was not really into it all that much. I'd rather see him with a small intimate band like back in the day.
                              Yeah, the one I posted is 10/9. I was lucky in the Bay Area as shortly after that October Fillmore West run, he moved to Marin and you used to be able to see him at small venues like Keystone Berkeley and the Great American Music Hall. He was a presence in the Bay Area and had a good relationship with Tommy Donahue and KSAN that produced the classic Pacific High recording in 1971 (I remember listening to that on the air with my bandmates when it happened) and a great in-studio interview with Tommy in 1974. Then he took a short hiatus but when he came back with "Into The Music" in 1979, he had the killer band with Pee Wee Ellis and Mark Isham that played a lot in San Francisco for several years until he moved back to Europe.
                              Last edited by chopitulas; 11-05-2021, 08:28 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I just heard on Roots Of Rhythm that it is Susies 51st Birthday today.

                                I hope that she has a great day.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X