X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• larrybalmur
    replied
    Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

They were booked as the Soul Stew Revival before it became TTB. I saw them at the Fillmore in SF in 2007 billed as that. Swag's Cubes show them as Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi Band at Jazz Fest in 2010. I can't quite remember if it was basically the Derek Trucks Band with Susan added as Soul Stew Revival was or if it was the real beginnings of the TTB with Oteil, etc. I do remember they did cause pandemonium in there.
    Forgot about the pandemonium. Seating filled early. Aisles were packed. Blues tent police in full mode. It was the big band concept as I recall, 3 horns and 2-3 singers. Only difference was it was more covers with a little Derek's and a little Susan's thrown in. It was a happening.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    For those in New Orleans, the Broad Theater will be showing the movie about the Mad Dogs and Englishmen re-creation with Leon Russell at Lockn' 2015 this weekend.

http://www.thebroadtheater.com/event...115-0116-0119/
    I saw it at The Broadside a while back. Enjoyable movie although I'd rather just watch a video of the entire Mad Dogs show that they played. Some of the commentary gets a bit over the top at times and repetitive. Worth seeing though and like the original Mad Dogs Tour, Leon Russell steals the show here one last time as he passed away the following year.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied
    For those in New Orleans, the Broad Theater will be showing the movie about the Mad Dogs and Englishmen re-creation with Leon Russell at Lockn' 2015 this weekend.

http://www.thebroadtheater.com/event...115-0116-0119/
    Last edited by chopitulas; 01-11-2022, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied
    Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post

Yep, that 2010? appearance in the Blues tent as Trucks /Tedeschi or whatever they called themselves was incredible
    They were booked as the Soul Stew Revival before it became TTB. I saw them at the Fillmore in SF in 2007 billed as that. Swag's Cubes show them as Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi Band at Jazz Fest in 2010. I can't quite remember if it was basically the Derek Trucks Band with Susan added as Soul Stew Revival was or if it was the real beginnings of the TTB with Oteil, etc. I do remember they did cause pandemonium in there.

Leave a comment:

• larrybalmur
    replied
    Originally posted by teetertotter View Post
    Wish I had been there with you my friend. Listened to their Layla Album yesterday. Nice. All brought back memories, especially the first time they played together at Jazzfest. I would be at Spleaf tonight if in town. Joe and Jason riding high with success of recent album. Hope to see you in the Spring!
    Yep, that 2010? appearance in the Blues tent as Trucks /Tedeschi or whatever they called themselves was incredible

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied
    Originally posted by duende View Post

The band is certainly a profitable franchise now, and with that success comes great responsibility to keep that juggernaut rolling. When you’re a sideman, as Derek was in the Allman Bros, you have a lot more flexibility when your main band goes on hiatus. As a bandleader? Not so much. There’s nothing to stop him from doing a mid-show breakout to do some out of the ordinary stuff, but the pressure to keep all of the TTB members engaged is probably immense. What’s the consensus on how the musical arrangements have changed since Kofi Burbridge’s untimely passing?
    I think some band members did leave the stage when they played Afro Blue on Fri night. And yeah, I get it they are a family business and need to tour a lot but I'd like to hear him play with other top notch musicians playing some different types of music. As for Kofi. the arrangements of the older songs sound the same to me but Gabe Dixon is very good and brings a lot to the table including singing a song now and then. They do miss Kofi's personality and flute playing. The person I think they miss most is Tim Lefave. Derek even said that the band really took off when he joined back in 2013. Nothing against Brandon Boone who is with them now and is very good.

Leave a comment:

• duende
    replied
    Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

As much as I love this band I had hoped by now Derek would have done something apart from them and played more jazz or world music inspired music, something more improvisational. Even just an album of different music. TTB do seem pretty entrenched in doing the same thing year after year.
    The band is certainly a profitable franchise now, and with that success comes great responsibility to keep that juggernaut rolling. When you’re a sideman, as Derek was in the Allman Bros, you have a lot more flexibility when your main band goes on hiatus. As a bandleader? Not so much. There’s nothing to stop him from doing a mid-show breakout to do some out of the ordinary stuff, but the pressure to keep all of the TTB members engaged is probably immense. What’s the consensus on how the musical arrangements have changed since Kofi Burbridge’s untimely passing?

Leave a comment:

• 20/20
    replied

As much as I love this band I had hoped by now Derek would have done something apart from them and played more jazz or world music inspired music, something more improvisational. Even just an album of different music. TTB do seem pretty entrenched in doing the same thing year after year.
    Thank you Jesus. I have felt the same way for some time. I have said it here. No knock on what TTB does, jeepers, they are outstanding. You feel sheepish if you suggest otherwise. Derek is a supremely talented individual. He performs a role in TTB as a bandleader and lead musician. Extraordinary well in both tasks. He is also a husband. He balances that extraordinarily well also. The man is just insanely talented. As stated above however, I would just love to see him break out a bit and explore some new ground.

Good post jjazznj

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied

I love the "In A Silent Way" intro. Sometime Derek does that, sometimes he does a more Swamp Raga/Indian tonality approach. But to play "In A Silent Way" like that on a slide guitar... Wow.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied

If I had to choose Sat night was the better setlist. I see a few songs there I don't know. Knew all of Fri nights songs.

I would have gone both nights but can't take off Fri and Sat. I'd lose too much money. Gotta pay for all of these shows!
    I couldn't pick one night over the other, to be honest. I did like "Smoke Ring Halo" by the Wood Brothers last night I had never heard before. Derek also went into "Les Bres In A Minor" out of "I Want More" that isn't listed. "Looking For Answers" was new to me, too, a lovely moody piece that turns out comes from Susan's "Just Won't Burn" album.

Last edited by chopitulas; 01-10-2022, 09:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied
    Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Good to bump into you last night!

I thought they cranked the volume up by 10/15% second set, and that made the vocals a little less clear, but that's a minor quibble. The sound mix that they get is just remarkable. I can't understand why other bands can't emulate this.
    Wonderful show!
    Good to see you, too. I didn't notice that but I was dead center and the sound was great there all night.

Leave a comment:

• chopitulas
    replied
    Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Thanks for the post and the "tip". Just listened to "Midnight in Harlem". Very nice. Very nice indeed.
    I love the "In A Silent Way" intro. Sometime Derek does that, sometimes he does a more Swamp Raga/Indian tonality approach. But to play "In A Silent Way" like that on a slide guitar... Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Canine Horror
    replied

I have always said their FOH sound is the best in the business. And consider how many open mics there are.

Well, Derek reduced me to tears in the "Midnight In Harlem" outro solo. It has happened before, I knew it was coming, but, damn if he didn't get me again.

Two magnificent nights. What a powerhouse of a band.

Taper Ed Tyre recorded both nights and put them on Archive.org. I don't usually bother with Aud recordings but his are excellent.

https://archive.org/details/ttb2022-01-07.mk41v.edtyre

https://archive.org/details/ttb2022-01-08.mk41v.edtyre
    Good to bump into you last night!

I thought they cranked the volume up by 10/15% second set, and that made the vocals a little less clear, but that's a minor quibble. The sound mix that they get is just remarkable. I can't understand why other bands can't emulate this.
    Wonderful show!

Leave a comment:

• Canine Horror
    replied
    Originally posted by teetertotter View Post
    Wish I had been there with you my friend. Listened to their Layla Album yesterday. Nice. All brought back memories, especially the first time they played together at Jazzfest. I would be at Spleaf tonight if in town. Joe and Jason riding high with success of recent album. Hope to see you in the Spring!
    I was happy that they did a couple of Layla numbers. Bell Bottom Blues was a particularly highlight for me, and I was humming that on the way out.

Teets, you really ought be down here right now for Horror fest. It's somewhat akin to TT Fest, but without the relentless self-promotion
    Hope to see you in April/May.

Leave a comment:

• jjazznj
    replied

I have always said their FOH sound is the best in the business. And consider how many open mics there are.

Well, Derek reduced me to tears in the "Midnight In Harlem" outro solo. It has happened before, I knew it was coming, but, damn if he didn't get me again.

Two magnificent nights. What a powerhouse of a band.

Taper Ed Tyre recorded both nights and put them on Archive.org. I don't usually bother with Aud recordings but his are excellent.

https://archive.org/details/ttb2022-01-07.mk41v.edtyre

https://archive.org/details/ttb2022-01-08.mk41v.edtyre
    If I had to choose Sat night was the better setlist. I see a few songs there I don't know. Knew all of Fri nights songs.

I would have gone both nights but can't take off Fri and Sat. I'd lose too much money. Gotta pay for all of these shows!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X