Gary Clark Jr Last Night at The Fillmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Clark Jr Last Night at The Fillmore

Anyone else on here go last night? He was great as usual but it was not all that crowded. Weeknight? Pandemic? People are over him?
    I found it odd he did not play his song "This Land" which he won Grammys for last year or his cover of "Come Together".
    Although I like all of his songs the show did drag a bit in the middle. I was surprised to see JJ Johnson who used to play with TTB on drums.

Not a huge fan. He plays with intensity, but not originality, imo. Hoping to see Flaming Lips there early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
      Not a huge fan. He plays with intensity, but not originality, imo. Hoping to see Flaming Lips there early next year.
      I'm a sucker for those Texas guitar stringers. I'll be seeing Jimmie Vaughan and most likely Sue Foley again on Sat night in Austin after The Stones show.

Comment

I don't find him particularly compelling either though "This Land" was an interesting expansion of his basic blues template. JJ is from Austin and musta re-centered himself there after leaving TTB.

I remember seeing Gary at the Continental Club in the late 00's when he was playing a free Happy Hour gig there. He has come a long way since.
        Last edited by chopitulas; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
          Anyone else on here go last night? He was great as usual but it was not all that crowded. Weeknight? Pandemic? People are over him?
          We were there, splurged for seats in the riser in the back. From there, it sure looked plenty crowded to me. Admittedly, this was my first concert at the venue and I don't know how tight it gets when sold out. But while there was space in the rear corners between the soundboard and the exits, from the soundboard up to the stage it looked like it was shoulder to shoulder all the way.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I'm a sucker for those Texas guitar stringers. I'll be seeing Jimmie Vaughan and most likely Sue Foley again on Sat night in Austin after The Stones show.
            I have seen Jimmie Vaughan many times over the years including one memorable gig when the Fab Thunderbirds supported Stevie Ray at Festival Hall in Melbourne and they later on played the same guitar together during Stevies set.

But I do not think that I will ever pay to see him again, as his recent grinning photo ops with the demented and dangerous Turd, Frostbite Abbott made me think that I dont want him getting any of my sort of hard earned cash.

Different strokes, for different folks.

To each their peach as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

We were there, splurged for seats in the riser in the back. From there, it sure looked plenty crowded to me. Admittedly, this was my first concert at the venue and I don't know how tight it gets when sold out. But while there was space in the rear corners between the soundboard and the exits, from the soundboard up to the stage it looked like it was shoulder to shoulder all the way.
              I've been to soldout shows there, they cram way more people in there. It was easy to walk right up front, almost to the stage which was good for me, not so much for Gary. Haha. Anyway hope you enjoyed the show!

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

I have seen Jimmie Vaughan many times over the years including one memorable gig when the Fab Thunderbirds supported Stevie Ray at Festival Hall in Melbourne and they later on played the same guitar together during Stevies set.

But I do not think that I will ever pay to see him again, as his recent grinning photo ops with the demented and dangerous Turd, Frostbite Abbott made me think that I dont want him getting any of my sort of hard earned cash.

Different strokes, for different folks.

To each their peach as they say.
                https://www.austin360.com/story/ente...an/8173018002/

Comment

I remember reading this at the time, and being somewhat bemused to say the least.

The term Guilt by Association springs to mind.

The less the World sees and hears from Frostbite the better.

Comment

Working...
                  X