2022 Grammy nominations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Grammy nominations

Looking through the nominations for the Grammys and realizing that any anxiety about the future of the music industry I've harbored is probably best expressed by a younger generation(s). It is good to see classic rock acts like hometown boys the Deftones recognized, however. As for roots/Americana acts (the only categories where I know any of the artists' work, other than sentimental legacy nominations), I'm rooting for the chia-pets!

Best Regional Roots Music Album

Sean Ardoin and Kreole Rock and Soul - Live in New Orleans!
    Big Chief Monk Boudreaux - Bloodstains and Teardrops
    Chia Wa - My People*
    Corey Ledet Zydaco - Corey Ledet Zydaco
    Kalani Pe’a - Kau Ka Pe’a

* either corrected, or spelled properly, on official Grammys page - https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...minations-list
    Last edited by duende; 1 week ago.

I love C. Wa, but I'd love love love to see Monk win a Grammy.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

I gotta go with Monk, too. Cha Wa wouldn't be doing what they do without the likes of Monk. To be honest, I haven't heard either album to judge them on the merits but still...

I found it interesting Jackson Browne's excellent new album ended up in the Americana section. John Hiatt's with Jerry Douglas I can see, but not so sure Jackson or Los Lobos belong there. Good to see them all get recognized, in any case. Tough call but I am going with Jackson's on its overall strength. Personally, I would have included Bob Schneider's "In A Roomful Of Blood With A Sleeping Tiger" but Bob never gets props outside of Austin.
      Last edited by chopitulas; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
        I gotta go with Monk, too. Cha Wa wouldn't be doing what they do without the likes of Monk..
        And not just musically. Monk's grandson J'wan was a founding member of Cha Wa, and Monk's son Joseph Jr has lead vocals on the newly nominated album.

I wonder if family members have ever competed in the same Grammy category before?

Comment

How about Jon Batiste ? TEN ( !!! ) nominations has to be a new record for South Louisiana artist. Pretty impressive.

Comment

I'd like to see Jon's "Freedom" video win. I expect he will do well overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
              How about Jon Batiste ? TEN ( !!! ) nominations has to be a new record for South Louisiana artist. Pretty impressive.
              He actually got 11, which ties him with Kendrick Lamar '16 for 3rd most by anyone in a year, behind only Michael Jackson '84 and Babyface '97 with 12 each.

What impresses me is not just the number of nominations he got, but the wide array of genres. He got nods in R&B, Jazz, Roots, Soundtrack, and even Classical.
              Last edited by swag; 1 week ago.

Comment

OT. I just read Dave Grohl’s The Storyteller. Great read.

One of the stories he tells is about the 2015 Grammys. The after show started with he and a few having a restaurant dinner. Then Sir Paul was added to the table. Then they needed a bigger table to accommodate AC/DC. Then Preservation Hall Jazz Band joined in, by way of a second line type of entrance and the party really got started. The written description of their entrance and the joy that flooded the room gave me goosebumps remembering that moment we’ve all had when New Orleans gives us a mighty wallop straight to the heart.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie View Post

One of the stories he tells is about the 2015 Grammys. The after show started with he and a few having a restaurant dinner. Then Sir Paul was added to the table. Then they needed a bigger table to accommodate AC/DC. Then Preservation Hall Jazz Band joined in, by way of a second line type of entrance and the party really got started. The written description of their entrance and the joy that flooded the room gave me goosebumps remembering that moment we’ve all had when New Orleans gives us a mighty wallop straight to the heart.
                  Love this.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzie View Post

I’m on the waitlist for this at the library and can’t wait until it becomes available.

Comment

Working...
                    X