Odds of 2022 Jazz Fest ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
    Stay safe for the next few weeks until we get past this current surge.

New U.S. Covid-19 cases are approaching half a million a day. On Wednesday, the U.S. reported 489,267 cases and 2,184 deaths. The new weekly average is up 149% from two weeks ago, according to The Wall Street Journal’s analysis of Johns Hopkins University data.
    Fred you should move to Louisiana, the great work of Jazzy Jeff Landry will keep every one safe there.

Sad but true.

It is hard to say Happy New Year when fuckwits like him abound.

Heres hoping for better times ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Fred you should move to Louisiana, the great work of Jazzy Jeff Landry will keep every one safe there.

Sad but true.

It is hard to say Happy New Year when fuckwits like him abound.

Heres hoping for better times ahead.
      Gards, you sound like me in 2020 & 2021 when I was stressed out about that "other guy".
      I had to regroup and move forward.

Comment

Gards, you sound like me in 2020 & 2021 when I was stressed out about that "other guy".
        I had to regroup and move forward.
        I hear you and will try to ignore the supreme idiocy of Trumpsters and their ilk, the anti vaxers.

I will regroup but it is very hard.

I am also an optimist.

So all will get better and I will see you all soon.

Happy New Year

Comment

I hear you and will try to ignore the supreme idiocy of Trumpsters and their ilk, the anti vaxers.

I will regroup but it is very hard.

I am also an optimist.

So all will get better and I will see you all soon.

Happy New Year

Gards, I understand where you are and can relate. At some point I realize the idoits were winning with my negative thoughts.
          I had to make a change. It got so bad that one night I had to call HPD. (long story about someone who lives two blocks from us)
          My neighbor across the street would not wave to me or say hello. I finally talked with him and told him we can agree to disagree
          and shook hands and are back to talking. Our last conversation was about trees.

Comment

Question?
            What is the last day JF has to announce their plans for April/May?

Was it 90 days last year before they cancelled Fall JF?

Feb. 1, 2022 is 87 days before opening day. April 29.

Comment

Gards, I understand where you are and can relate. At some point I realize the idoits were winning with my negative thoughts.
              I had to make a change. It got so bad that one night I had to call HPD. (long story about someone who lives two blocks from us)
              My neighbor across the street would not wave to me or say hello. I finally talked with him and told him we can agree to disagree
              and shook hands and are back to talking. Our last conversation was about trees.
              I hear you Fearless.

It is hard sometimes, but it is better to talk, although I just walk away when Republican types start waxing lyrical about how sub machine guns are good, the US election was stolen or that getting vaccinated is a Communist plot etc.

A few of old friends of mine are rabid right wingers, but fortunately most of them acknowledge that our lying fuckwit of a Prime Minister is a deadshit, so we can meet the middle ground on that.

Comment

Mardi Gras Day is exactly 59 days away. Any idea when N.O. needs to make a decision on whether to go ahead with it? I'm guessing they'll make plans to hold one that's scaled down significantly, like NY just did with NYE. Vaccine requirements, Mask requirements? And how to enforce since the parades don't require tickets, and people just show up on the streets.

I don't think Omicron will be an issue. The unknown is whatever variant might be forming somewhere in the world at this very moment, which could be causing a spike come April & May. I think we've passed the point of waiting for the remaining 1/3rd of the population to get vaxxed (50% in Louisiana), but it is that very group who will drive future variants through unpredictably timed surges, which is why the problem and the pandemic won't be going away anytime soon.

I expect that 2022 will be a more open version of 2021, but we'll still suffer from the occasional cancellations of large events, whenever an outbreak and surge occurs. Again, for planners of a festival like Jazz Fest, they'll have to rely on timing and a bit of a gamble if/when they decide to proceed and go all in.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post
                  Mardi Gras Day is exactly 59 days away. Any idea when N.O. needs to make a decision on whether to go ahead with it? I'm guessing they'll make plans to hold one that's scaled down significantly, like NY just did with NYE. Vaccine requirements, Mask requirements? And how to enforce since the parades don't require tickets, and people just show up on the streets.

I don't think Omicron will be an issue. The unknown is whatever variant might be forming somewhere in the world at this very moment, which could be causing a spike come April & May. I think we've passed the point of waiting for the remaining 1/3rd of the population to get vaxxed (50% in Louisiana), but it is that very group who will drive future variants through unpredictably timed surges, which is why the problem and the pandemic won't be going away anytime soon.

I expect that 2022 will be a more open version of 2021, but we'll still suffer from the occasional cancellations of large events, whenever an outbreak and surge occurs. Again, for planners of a festival like Jazz Fest, they'll have to rely on timing and a bit of a gamble if/when they decide to proceed and go all in.
                  The Mayor had a press conference about Mardi Gras right before Christmas, and the focus was entirely not on Covid but on manpower. Most or all of the parade routes were shortened, but at this point, Mardi Gras is full steam ahead. They didn't see any bump in numbers from the Krewe of Boo parade in October. Joan of Arc kicks things off in 5 days.

There are no city or state mask requirements at this point (only the federal rules for public transit and airports). Some private businesses have their own rules, including Lyft & Uber, and a few venues like the Saenger. And you're right, mask rules for parade viewers would be completely unenforceable anyway (as it would be at the Fairgrounds for fest).

What we do have are vax requirements. The vax rules for entering bars and restaurants will last at least until after Mardi Gras, and Muses just announced that all their riders will need to be fully vaxed, no exceptions.
                  Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

The vax rates in Louisiana and the entire USA are pathetic and extremely worrying.

They reflect very badly on the USA as a whole and obviously indicate that people believe far too much bullshit.

But then when you read survey results that say many people still think that the US election of a year ago was rigged it explains things a bit.
                    And it is very sad.

Down here in my home state of Victoria we have a population of about 6.7 million and we have a vax rate of 90% for people aged over 12 and that rate is about 86% Nationally.

This is despite a pathetic and very slow rate of vaccine procurement and roll out, now known as stroll out, due to us having a Trump like lying fuckwit as a Prime Minister, who once said that the " Vaccine roll out is not a race". He now claims that this is not what he meant.

The big difference with the vax rate levels between here and the USA is that both sides of Politics knew the obvious need and benefit of getting people jabbed and worked together as much as possible to get it done.

And we have had very few Republican like morons in State or Federal Parliaments decrying the need to get jabbed, or joining with the freedumbs moaning about compulsory vaccinations in certain industries to keep them and others safe.

In the USA on the other hand. The actions of the likes of Jazzy Jeff Landry, Frostbite Abbott and Rugged Ronnie Desantis speak for themselves and they have blood on their hands as do the freedumbs and the rest who will not get vaccinated to help the common good.

Who knows when it will end?
                    For once we agree....

Comment

• Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

I do have a smart phone, jjazznj. I even take it with me when necessary. I've never used it for Uber, Blue Bikes, bikes or scooters, check bank account, check weather, make reservations, buy mobile tickets, play Blue Tooth, check scores, check addresses or use GPS.

Yes to phone calls/texts/pictures.
                      Same here....

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post

Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest are both happening. Count on it. The Mayor, as Swag spelled out above said it's a go and I talked to Quint Davis the other day and he said Jazz Fest is on this year. The city cannot really go another year without both. Get vaxed and boosted and c'mon down!

Comment

• Originally posted by revjimk View Post

Same here....
                          Really? I use it for all of the above and more. Why not? I don't use it to put pix on FB or IG or nonsense like that.

You can't even get into some events(NFL games, some concerts) these days nevermind ride share without a phone.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest are both happening. Count on it. The Mayor, as Swag spelled out above said it's a go and I talked to Quint Davis the other day and he said Jazz Fest is on this year. The city cannot really go another year without both. Get vaxed and boosted and c'mon down!
                            With that kind of resounding confirmation I’m confident enough that I’ll be looking into booking travel and lodging for our 20th Fest anniversary trip sometime during the 2nd/3rd week of April. I may make an early/advance-purchase exception for Patry tix. I’m currently at anxious-but-optimistic status for SXSW to come through, but prepared to travel anyway just for brisket and breakfast tacos from Polvo’s. Luck Reunion and catching a few sets at Lucy’s, Continental Club and Sam’s Town Point would be a feast at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

With that kind of resounding confirmation I’m confident enough that I’ll be looking into booking travel and lodging for our 20th Fest anniversary trip sometime during the 2nd/3rd week of April. I may make an early/advance-purchase exception for Patry tix. I’m currently at anxious-but-optimistic status for SXSW to come through, but prepared to travel anyway just for brisket and breakfast tacos from Polvo’s. Luck Reunion and catching a few sets at Lucy’s, Continental Club and Sam’s Town Point would be a feast at this point.
                              I go to Austin every few months as it's so easy to get there from here in NOLA. I'm actually going in a few weeks just for 2 days to see The Arc Angels reunion but I've never been there for SXSW (or ACL Fest which has gone way downhill over the years). Is it a lot of fun? Have you gone before? It just seems like there would be so many people there and some of the more high profile shows would be hard to get into. I'm so used to having no problems getting into shows and restaurants whenever I go there.

As for breakfast tacos, I've never made it to Palvo's (not sure why) but try Veracruz All Natural some time on Webberville Rd (better location)or at The Line Hotel right by The Congress Bridge. I could go there every single day and never get tired of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I go to Austin every few months as it's so easy to get there from here in NOLA. I'm actually going in a few weeks just for 2 days to see The Arc Angels reunion but I've never been there for SXSW (or ACL Fest which has gone way downhill over the years). Is it a lot of fun? Have you gone before? It just seems like there would be so many people there and some of the more high profile shows would be hard to get into. I'm so used to having no problems getting into shows and restaurants whenever I go there.

As for breakfast tacos, I've never made it to Palvo's (not sure why) but try Veracruz All Natural some time on Webberville Rd (better location)or at The Line Hotel right by The Congress Bridge. I could go there every single day and never get tired of it.
                                I read about those ARC Angels shows - jealous! I’ve had tacos from the Oltorf Veracruz on the way to the Whip In - never have eaten any of the Indian food there. I’ve never been during SXSW myself, but my friends have gone and raved about the So Congress Lucy’s lineup and the Yard Dog Gallery parties at the old location (I covet the Jon Langford skeleton cowboy artwork!) . My ritual used to be Red Volkaert Sat afternoon at the Continental, back Sun for Hey Bale, Tues David Grissom at the Saxson, a night at the White Horse or C-boy’s, but I’m prepared to be flexible. The pedal steel residencies at Sam’s Town Point sound like a hoot, and one of the last vestiges of “weird” Austin.

Comment

Working...
                                X