Clear All

• Originally posted by windowman View Post
    Valparaiso Men's Chorus
    Saturn Bar
    April 29
    dammit, first weekend?! booooooo

Comment

• Originally posted by swag View Post
      That is a damned shame. Of course, totally understand given the situation. But as someone who's seen live music in a whole lotta places, it always struck me as the most vibrant place to hear that music. It was a neighborhood spot, real warm vibe, folks not afraid to make some noise if they were feeling it. It felt alive you know? Herlin Riley's gig there in 2019 was just so live and funky- i had zero idea who the rest of the band was but they were all killers. Damn shane. Glad I figured it out and got to hit up a few gigs there the last few years.

Comment

• I love the Ace Hotel (on paper) but in actuality its such a mess with that incredibly busy bar scene outside of the music venue. The venue is always freezing cold. I just wish it was a little less chaotic; because as I said, I love it in theory.
        Last fall I stayed at the new Kimpton Hotel for one night and noticed the large vibrant space that they have for live music- its called the Peacock Room. I know I've seen Robin Barnes and Pat Casey have a regular gig there, but I'm not sure what else they have going on with that space. It would be nice to see a full night show lineup there during Fest.

Comment

• Helen Gillet
          Saturn Bar
          5/8

https://www.helengillet.com/portfolio/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorter72 View Post

I'm a long-time Jazz Fester, but I'm from Chicago and have never been to the Mardi Gras World venue. How big is it? Is it a good place to see a show? I like Nathaniel Rateliff and Mavis is awesome, but I don't want to see them in a crappy venue. Any thoughts?
            I have never been to a concert there, but since no one else has answered I will say that I did work a convention event there years ago, and I don't think it is too promising a venue at least from an acoustic perspective. It's a big metal barn of a building tall enough for the largest Mardi Gras floats, and I much prefer intimate venues. Rateliff doesn't do much for me, but Mavis is a true treasure who, unfortunately, won't be around forever so maybe it is worth a shot. Hopefully someone who has some experience the place as a venue will chime in.

Comment

• Originally posted by belyin View Post

I have never been to a concert there, but since no one else has answered I will say that I did work a convention event there years ago, and I don't think it is too promising a venue at least from an acoustic perspective. It's a big metal barn of a building tall enough for the largest Mardi Gras floats, and I much prefer intimate venues. Rateliff doesn't do much for me, but Mavis is a true treasure who, unfortunately, won't be around forever so maybe it is worth a shot. Hopefully someone who has some experience the place as a venue will chime in.
              I've seen music in there and like many other big rooms like that (the old CAC big room comes to mind) you need to be close to wherever the sound is coming from before it bounces all over the place and sounds like crap. And not that it matters I totally agree on your opinion of both of those acts.

Comment

• Maple Leaf: https://www.mapleleafbar.com/jazzfest22

Comment

• Originally posted by ztulane View Post
                  Jamming three shows in on a Thursday night seems to be a bit much. Can a show really start at 8 on a fest night?

Comment

• Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy & Matt Sweeney “Superwolves” with Emmett Kelly
                    One Eyed Jacks
                    April 29, 2022 @ 9:00 pm
                    $38.00

Comment

• ts

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post

Jamming three shows in on a Thursday night seems to be a bit much. Can a show really start at 8 on a fest night?
                        Even pre-pandemic early (read on-time) shows were starting to be a thing - we walked into the David Rawlings Machine mid-1st set at HOB and it seemed like the band started at the “doors” time. Then, at the last Bayou Rendezvous we went to, I think it was Dr Klaw wrapping-up as we sat in line outside waiting to get in. Cuz we stopped for a killer po-boy first.

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

Even pre-pandemic early (read on-time) shows were starting to be a thing - we walked into the David Rawlings Machine mid-1st set at HOB and it seemed like the band started at the “doors” time. Then, at the last Bayou Rendezvous we went to, I think it was Dr Klaw wrapping-up as we sat in line outside waiting to get in. Cuz we stopped for a killer po-boy first.
                          On a hot day of fest , most folks should take a shower before going to a crowded bar

Comment

• Morning 40 on second Sunday - Now we're talking!

Comment

ts
                              Thought Monday was going to be piano night now I’m not so sure.

Comment

ts
                                presented by Acura??

Comment

Working...
                                X