JAZZ FEST @ NIGHT 2022 / The Grids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by belyin View Post

Don't sleep on Courtney Bryan, not the usual thing in what the festival environment has become.
    That's funny, I was just checking her out when I saw your comment. Too bad I gotta work that night.

This was the lineup from back in 2018 when I went there a whole bunch of times. https://www.threekeysnola.com/sixofsaturns/2018/

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

That's funny, I was just checking her out when I saw your comment. Too bad I gotta work that night.

This was the lineup from back in 2018 when I went there a whole bunch of times. https://www.threekeysnola.com/sixofsaturns/2018/
      Were you at that Glasper show in 2018? Things got uncomfortable the second time the idiots on the balcony spilled their drinks on DJ Jahi Sundance's gear )

Comment

• Originally posted by Montaigne Lover View Post

Were you at that Glasper show in 2018? Things got uncomfortable the second time the idiots on the balcony spilled their drinks on DJ Jahi Sundance's gear )
        Haha. Yup, I was there. That was one hot show with Common as spec guest! I stood right in front of that force of nature, Chris "Daddy" Dave. Saw 3 great drummers there over a few days, Dave, Daru Jones and JT Lewis. Good times.

After joining the band for a collaboration during their first set, Common teamed up with the Robert Glasper Rotation Trio for an impromptu, hour-long second set.

Comment

• That is a freaking home run show.

Comment

• Never bought a ticket so fast in my life....YES YES YES FUCK YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Blood Ulmer, Harriet Tubman, and Steven Bernstein with Naked on the Floor were all booked by SONO (Sound Observatory New Orleans) who usually book one Wednesday a month at Three Aces, and this year are only doing the Wednesday fest day (with Courtney Bryan.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to me much room at our Jazz Fest for these sort of acts what with all the space taken up by "Dead FunK" gigs (truth in advertising, or what?) I did catch Harriet Tubman at Big Ears. Unfortunately it was the one gig I heard there where the sound didn't fit the music as Marvin Gibbs bass was so loud and muddy that it didn't leave enough space for the music to happen, and so it wasn't nearly as great as the show at the Three Keys.

Comment

• Originally posted by belyin View Post

The Blood Ulmer, Harriet Tubman, and Steven Bernstein with Naked on the Floor were all booked by SONO (Sound Observatory New Orleans) who usually book one Wednesday a month at Three Aces, and this year are only doing the Wednesday fest day (with Courtney Bryan.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to me much room at our Jazz Fest for these sort of acts what with all the space taken up by "Dead FunK" gigs (truth in advertising, or what?) I did catch Harriet Tubman at Big Ears. Unfortunately it was the one gig I heard there where the sound didn't fit the music as Marvin Gibbs bass was so loud and muddy that it didn't leave enough space for the music to happen, and so it wasn't nearly as great as the show at the Three Keys.
                Yeah, I've been to a bunch of SONO nights at The Ace a few years back. They really stepped up that year. I went to 7 or 8 shows there during that fest. The Glasper show was the only one with a cover.

It's funny you mention "Dead FunK" gigs. I grew up and still love The Dead and funk music yet I'm not really interested in going to see any of those shows during the fest except maybe that Dumpstaphunk Meters show with Cyril, George and Leo plus PBS. At least they are the real deal.

Comment

• Dayum. Love Anderson. Paak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Montaigne Lover View Post

Never bought a ticket so fast in my life....YES YES YES FUCK YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Same here. Easily one of the hottest shows this fest!

Comment

• They are offering Mezzanine tickets for $20 more. Has anyone bought those tickets before? May be better than the scrum on the floor?

Comment

• Has anyone been to the new One-Eyed jacks at 1104 Decatur St? Opinions? I saw a photo of the layout on their Instagram account, and it looks quite nice. Planning on going to Robert Glasper's Dinner Party

Comment

• Originally posted by Gobeach View Post
                          Has anyone been to the new One-Eyed jacks at 1104 Decatur St? Opinions? I saw a photo of the layout on their Instagram account, and it looks quite nice. Planning on going to Robert Glasper's Dinner Party
                          I think last Fri night was the first show they've had there. It definitely looks different than when it was BB King's or Margaritaville back in the day. I'm happy we have another music venue in town that does not book cover bands.

Comment

I think last Fri night was the first show they've had there. It definitely looks different than when it was BB King's or Margaritaville back in the day. I'm happy we have another music venue in town that does not book cover bands.
                            I haven't checked it out yet, but it is a good developement I remember when it was developed as Storyville back in the late 80's. At first the idea was to set it up for video taping concerts; there is a trumpet heavy jazz show they filmed there with everyone from Al Hirt to Don Cherry, Dizzy Gillespie, and Sarah Vaughan (with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Billy Higgins) in 1986. Around that time I saw the punk band Red Kross there. I saw the Sun Ra Awkestra there in 1989. And sometime after that Bo Diddley, Johnny Paycheck, Freddy Fender, and the great poet Jimmy Santiago Baco. I don't know why Taylor Hackford sold it, but I guess it was part of the general movement of the tourist environment down Decatur Street (that also swept up the culturally significant Kaldi's Coffee House at St. Philip St. as well.) By 1996 it was redeveloped as Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, and I have never set foot in the place since. I do remember Alex McMurray and Royal Fingerbowl had a regular daytime gig there until they were fired for "disrespect" to the tourists and for refusing to play Jimmy Buffet songs when requested (no doubt all the time!)

Comment

• hi! I'm traveling this year for the first time, from Spain to New Orleans and it's been crazy to choose Jazz Fest night concerts. I juts got tickets for Maurice Brown feat. Anderon .Paak at Toulouse Theatre which is scheduled to begin at 11.30pm but I also would like to go to the Howlin Wolf' where Medeski, Stanton Moore and Skerik are playing at 2pm. Do you guys think that's doable? or would it be too stressful? Monoeon is playing in booth shows, but I don't know...
                              Also, on Thursday 5/5 I'd like to go to three gigs in a row: Stanton Moore and Friends at Toulouse Theatre at 9pm, Nigel Hall w Butcher Brown at Blue Nile at 11pm and Will Blades w Headhunters at Cafe Istanbul at 1am. I've seen that they're close but don't know if its realistic to attend all three of them.
                              Any suggestions or thoughts about it and also how to move from one place to the other will be very welcomed. Thanks!!!
                              Last edited by raulmarc; 04-13-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X