Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Sandra Jaffe

Bummer.

Sandra Jaffe, whose Preservation Hall spread traditional jazz worldwide, dies at 83

Returning from 1961 honeymoon, she and her husband stopped in New Orleans, never left

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...4c4750808.html

Comment

RIP

Her family should be very proud of Sandra

Comment

Condolences to family and close friends. I remember meeting her way back, such a nice lady! I can be a cheap bastard, but she encouraged me to buy a couple of albums after the show. And you know what, I have those treasured vinyl memories to this day. RIP Sandra.

Comment

I recently read "Song for My Fathers: A New Orleans Story in Black and White" by Tom Sancton (2006). He played clarinet as a teenager at Preservation Hall in its early days. When I put the book down I wondered who in it was still alive and later noted that Sandra was one of the few.

Anybody want to read it? PM me a mailing address and I'll send it out; just pass it on when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
            I recently read "Song for My Fathers: A New Orleans Story in Black and White" by Tom Sancton (2006). He played clarinet as a teenager at Preservation Hall in its early days. When I put the book down I wondered who in it was still alive and later noted that Sandra was one of the few.

Anybody want to read it? PM me a mailing address and I'll send it out; just pass it on when you're done.
            That is an interesting book.

I read it a couple of years back and enjoyed, although I have some recollection of wondering why Tommy thought you were only the real deal if you played at Pres Hall

Comment

I also read the book years ago. He had a unique and interesting perspective.

Comment

Working...
              X