Lousiana Float---irony again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lousiana Float---irony again

Probably no one else here on the "bored" saw the Louisiana float in todays "Tournament of Roses" parade? I mentioned irony in another thread and it resurfaced in todays parade. Louisiana sponsored its' first ever float in the event. It was a lovely float, beautiful as so many are but I had to smile at some of the details surrounding the float event. First the band was great, very enjoyable and they played "Born on The Bayou" as their song. That song ironically was written by John Fogerty. Born where? No not on the Bayou but Berkeley, California. The dancers that performed around the float? Yep, from a dance company based in California. The lead guitarist? An American Idol winner. Birthplace not announced but my guess is not somewhere in Louisiana. As I said, I thoroughly enjoyed the event but come on, you mean to tell me that there are no underemployed dancers and musicians from Louisiana that would have loved to have made the event?

Laine Hardy (singer/guitar player) is from Livingston, Louisiana.

I did roll my eyes when tge announcers mentioned him as a "fellow New Orleanian" with the Hot 8 Brass Band, because he's not.

Comment

The Idol winner, Laine Hardy, is in fact a Louisiana native.

And the band riding the front of the float was the Hot 8.
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Ah, you two read the Times-Picayune article. I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
          Probably no one else here on the "bored" saw the Louisiana float in todays "Tournament of Roses" parade? I mentioned irony in another thread and it resurfaced in todays parade. Louisiana sponsored its' first ever float in the event. It was a lovely float, beautiful as so many are but I had to smile at some of the details surrounding the float event. First the band was great, very enjoyable and they played "Born on The Bayou" as their song. That song ironically was written by John Fogerty. Born where? No not on the Bayou but Berkeley, California. The dancers that performed around the float? Yep, from a dance company based in California. The lead guitarist? An American Idol winner. Birthplace not announced but my guess is not somewhere in Louisiana. As I said, I thoroughly enjoyed the event but come on, you mean to tell me that there are no underemployed dancers and musicians from Louisiana that would have loved to have made the event?
          Written by John Fogerty but inspired by Louisiana music he heard on East Bay radio stations. Bay Area has a significant Creole population, who moved there in WW2 to work in the shipyards

Comment

I always marveled at being able to set that bayou vibe without a lot of personal experience. We do have a serious Delta system out here - unfortunately it drains, so no significant swamp. Oh, and one of the near-Delta towns is Lodi.
            duende
            Last edited by duende; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

If you paid for the education where you were taught what "irony" is, you should demand your money back.

If you didn't, you got what you paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                If you paid for the education where you were taught what "irony" is, you should demand your money back.

Well, I did in fact pay with my own hard earned and saved money. Not my parents and not from a government entity or whatever. I do however sort of get your point. That being said however, you are not entirely correct in your sarcasm. Perhaps we are both partially correct and I should just ask for a discounted reimbursement?

"a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."
                plural noun: ironies
                "the irony is that I thought he could help me"

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

I think 22/20 and Alanis Morissette attended the same school. Isn't that ironic?

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

I think 22/20 and Alanis Morissette attended the same school. Isn't that ironic?
                    Oh, get off of the internet and get back to what you do best.....carjacking! Oh and dress warm. That temp is going to drop or so they are saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X