2022 Lineup Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swag View Post
    I did a bit of digging yesterday, and over 3/4 of the headliners have announced what date they are playing.

See the list: https://swag.livejournal.com/381726.html
    I see that "Anat" is scheduled to appear the second weekend. No doubt there are many here who want to pencil that in so as not to miss. Can you confirm any details?

Comment

• I listened (and sang along to) Creole Nightingale Sings recently and I’m frankly as excited to hear Roddie Romero & the Hub City Allstars live again as I am about the rest of the line-up.

Comment

• After reviewing a few artist websites:

Bombino: April 29
        Count Basie Orchestra: May 1
        Mr. Sipp: May 5
        Antonio Sanchez: May 5
        Newport All Stars: May 6

Comment

• Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
          After reviewing a few artist websites:

Bombino: April 29
          Count Basie Orchestra: May 1
          Mr. Sipp: May 5
          Antonio Sanchez: May 5
          Newport All Stars: May 6
          Bombino on opening day sounds perfect to me!!!
          I also happen to know that John Gros will play first Saturday at Gentilly and Andrew Duhon second Saturday at Lagniappe.

Comment

• Originally posted by groovy1967 View Post

Plan on getting close because the last time he played Gentilly, he was drowned out by the talkers.
            Honestly Randy Newman is the only BNA that I am really looking forward to seeing. It’s been about 2o years since I have seen him live and being in NOLA is an added pleasure. There are a couple others that I have seen a few times so its they they are mostly okay if i see them and okay if i don't. . I primarily go for the local/regional bands and spend most of my time at the Blues, Gospel, Jazz & Heritage and Fais Do Do stages.

Speaking of talkers the first year I saw Van Morrison at the Gentilly Stage i was surrounded by talkers who finally moved on about half way through the set. So happy they did. Enjoy the music or go somewhere else.
            Last edited by jpstacy2001; 01-22-2022, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ice nine View Post
              When I saw Randy Newman he was playing with an orchestra. I wonder if he will do the same for JF?
              He has played solo every set at jazzfest, I expect the same. Maybe he will do an interview. I have been lucky enough to see him with the LPO twice, and that was special. I am looking forward to his set.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Anders is playing on Sunday, May 1st.

Strange that Jon Batiste wasn't announced. Not only is he on this year's poster they're also using "Freedom" for the official video.
                Quint mentioned there's still one BNA to be announced, after contracts are signed. Can't imagine, all things considered, it's not Jon Batiste.

Comment

• I hope Corey Henry's Funktet and Sam Price and the True Believers get added. Most of all, I hope Jon Batiste is the TBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                    I hope Corey Henry's Funktet and Sam Price and the True Believers get added. Most of all, I hope Jon Batiste is the TBA.
                    It ain't Jazz Fest without Bo Money in da house!

Comment

• Originally posted by jpstacy2001 View Post

Honestly Randy Newman is the only BNA that I am really looking forward to seeing. It’s been about 2o years since I have seen him live and being in NOLA is an added pleasure. There are a couple others that I have seen a few times so its they they are mostly okay if i see them and okay if i don't. . I primarily go for the local/regional bands and spend most of my time at the Blues, Gospel, Jazz & Heritage and Fais Do Do stages.

Speaking of talkers the first year I saw Van Morrison at the Gentilly Stage i was surrounded by talkers who finally moved on about half way through the set. So happy they did. Enjoy the music or go somewhere else.
                      The bored's (this forum) technical term for talkers is CFWs (ChattingFuckWits). I'm also frequently plagued by them.

Comment

• The 2022 lineup is great. My only disappointment was Brandi Carlile.
                        She could be the TBA. Her tour is wide open from April 29 and June 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

I see that "Anat" is scheduled to appear the second weekend. No doubt there are many here who want to pencil that in so as not to miss. Can you confirm any details?
                          Anat Cohen, the jazz clarinet player, is appearing with the Newport All Stars on the Second Weekend. I'm looking forward to being there.

Comment

• Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                            I hope Corey Henry's Funktet and Sam Price and the True Believers get added. Most of all, I hope Jon Batiste is the TBA.
                            +1

Comment

• Originally posted by belyin View Post

I am going to Big Ears--a much better festival for our sensibilities.

I fear I have been making the same complaint of Jazz Fest ever since Charlie Bearing passed (1994?) While their jazz booking of out-of-town acts is woefully unimaginative, it is the almost complete avoidance of any creative tendencies in the local jazz scene that really galls me. While it is their festival and they can do what they want, it is also the elephant in the room when it comes to defining "New Orleans" culture--a role they actively promote. Before the pandemic, I probably heard live music for an average of 4 or 5 nights a week for the 25 year period that jazz tent booker Gregory Davis has been on the job, and in the all that time I only saw Davis at a gig once--at Snug Harbor to hear Terrence Blanchard. A smug indifference to what goes on outside one's little circle is a hallmark of New Orleans culture, so I guess they are "keeping it real."
                              ^This.
                              I've no inside knowledge whatsoever of the workings of the talent bookers at fest, but I strongly suspect that your comments re the the Jazz tent booking could just as easily be applied to all the other stages. None of the bookers seem to have even the faintest idea of what is going on outside their little bubble.
                              It's just so lazy.
                              With just a little effort, it could be so much better.
                              Time for Quint to hang up his tie-dye shirt I think, with a complete overhaul of the booking.
                              Hell, I'd ask Jordan Hamowy to book the Fais Do Do and Lagniappe Stages. That would already be a huge improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Hell, I'd ask Jordan Hamowy to book the Fais Do Do and Lagniappe Stages. That would already be a huge improvement.
                                I second this!

Comment

Working...
                                X