2022 Lineup Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

I've probably mentioned this on the board before, but Lionel Richie played Philly's Fourth of July celebration on the Parkway like 15 years ago and it was extremely fun. So I'm fine with him but not as a top of the bill headliner. That seems like a reach.

The top line of the lineup (except for Willie, Erykah and Lionel) is entirely unappealing to me. I plan to see the Foo Fighters in July at Lincoln Financial Field for my brother's birthday because my brother loves them and I love my brother. My friends and I saw The Who at Citizen's Bank Park a few years ago and I vowed to never do that again. I would be embarrassed to be seen at a Jimmy Buffet concert. Luke Combs is not someone who I want to give my attention to. Stevie Nicks has always been boring background noise to me.

All this being said, I have a ticket to the first weekend of JF. I'll be there and I'll be blissed out and happy about all of it - but that doesn't mean I'm not glum about what it COULD be.
    Also Willie will be 89 come first weekend, so wise to keep the expectations suitably grounded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Hello?
      Is it me you’re looking for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lit View Post

Is it me you’re looking for?
        Wait, big news, Adele is playing JF? WHAT a headliner!

Comment

Also Willie will be 89 come first weekend, so wise to keep the expectations suitably grounded.
          Yeah, it's billed as Willie & Family, so if he's slowing down, it could be a 90 minute set with 45 minutes of Willie, barely enough time for him to get thru 20 songs.

Comment

• Originally posted by swag-admin View Post

Yeah, it's billed as Willie & Family, so if he's slowing down, it could be a 90 minute set with 45 minutes of Willie, barely enough time for him to get thru 20 songs.
            I'll report back in March after the Luck Reunion. My money's on Willie.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I went to the "Final" subdudes show at Tip's in 1996. What an emotional evening that was! Of course it wasn't the last but it has been pretty clear their tours of late were for the dough. I do like both "Natural Born Days" and "Lickskillet" a lot.

And while I liked them around the time of "Annunciation" with Willie Williams, I actually felt he confined their sound somewhat. I like the original four-piece approach with no drum set. It is what made them unique.

I have always loved Tommy Malone, a criminally underrated musician who kills on both electric and acoustic and is a very soulful singer.
              I was there too and also at Tips one with the horn section - I liked both a lot - felt like family. While I disagree with you about Willie, I completely agree about the no drum comment - id did make them special.

I have also seen Tommy in a bunch of projects: Batture Boys, a thing he did with Dave Easley and a few others and have pretty much liked them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by swag-admin View Post

Ell owe ell !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jordan View Post

I was there too and also at Tips one with the horn section - I liked both a lot - felt like family. While I disagree with you about Willie, I completely agree about the no drum comment - id did make them special.

I have also seen Tommy in a bunch of projects: Batture Boys, a thing he did with Dave Easley and a few others and have pretty much liked them all.
                  I remember a bunch of confetti streaming down at the end of the "Final" show. I think there were people in tears because it did seem like the end of a beloved group. (I did go to the Grateful Dead's "Last One" at Winterland in 1974 so I shoulda known those things don't really stick.)

Dave is amazing. I once did a gig with him at the Riverwalk restaurant a bunch of us used to play at. There was only a sax player and a drummer beside me on bass, no chordal instrument I could follow, just Dave and his pedal steel wizardry. That was a challenge for a blues player like me, believe me (luckily he did have chord charts for some of it.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemp View Post
                    Just keep on taking those old records off the shelf. This Atlantic Monthly feature may explain some of the Jazz Fest bookings:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...1ps2OeyrF9CSwg
                    Very interesting article

Comment

• Originally posted by duende View Post

I beg to differ, sir. Tommy's Natural Born Days was a keeper, and as a former regular attendee of Jazzfest, you might also have been at his 2014 solo Jazzfest appearance, which included all the guitar this attendee had been hoping to see in years of going to 'dudes shows.
                      I have Natural Born Days and like it, and will dig it out and play it again soon.

Have also been lucky to see Tom do shows at various local events in Nola over the years both solo and with various musos beside him and some shows have been very good

Comment

• The Atlantic piece had some pretty big blind spots but I kind of see his point. But when two superstars collab on a track listened to by billions which details the volume of their, um "personal secretions", the argument that modern music is a vile sewer is easier to make.

I happen to think that there is more good new music out there than ever before, just don't expect the Music Product Companies to release it. You have to dig for it, which makes finding a gem that much more satisfying.

---

I'll never forget seeing a JFer with a homemade tshirt crudely proclaiming "No More Billy Joels!"

As you were.

Comment

• Willie Nelson has been sitting through his sets this year. He's having breathing issues so I don't expect much from his set. He has been speeding through his songs as well. Hopefully Lukas will be onstage to help him through his set.

Comment

How about, as a start, one day at each stage per weekend be curated by an invited outsider. Could be a respected musician, or a knowledgeable DJ.
                            A day at the Jazz Tent curated by Terence Blanchard. Or T.R Johnson. Let Kermit curate a day at Economy Hall. Shamar Allen a day at Jazz and Heritage.
                            You could do the same at all of the stages and just let the biggest two continue to be programmed by "Quint's ego".
                            I am not sure having musicians book stages is such a great idea. Gregory Davis at the Jazz Tent is a founding member of the Dirty Dozen and most people don't think he does a great job. Not that many musicians have the overall view of the complete scene, and there will always be conflict of interest issues. And most musicians wouldn't relish being put in that position vis--vis their colleagues.

A Quint's Ego stage does have some merit, however.

Comment

• Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal have a new release coming out. I wonder if Quint tried booking them or if he even knows about it.

https://americansongwriter.com/taj-m...rownie-mcghee/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
                                Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal have a new release coming out. I wonder if Quint tried booking them or if he even knows about it.

https://americansongwriter.com/taj-m...rownie-mcghee/
                                Maybe a blessing in disguise, as they'd almost certainly be put in the blues tent. As much as I love Ry's playing, on anything, it's never lost on me that a guy like Steve James can't get arrested doing the same thing, and in some cases better, than his better-known counterparts. It'd still be a treat to see these risen sons play together.

Comment

Working...
                                X