2022 Lineup Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal have a new release coming out. I wonder if Quint tried booking them or if he even knows about it.

https://americansongwriter.com/taj-m...rownie-mcghee/
    Just saw that. It comes out on April 22 and you'd think Nonesuch Records woulda sought a Jazz Fest booking to promote it. But like the John Hiatt and Jerry Douglas album last year which seemed such a natural Jazz Fest booking, especially with them touring in October, but which also didn't happen, such thoughts are reflective of Jazz Fest in the past.

For fans of country blues, I recently discovered "Memphis '69," footage shot by Gene Rosenthal of Adelphi Records that he ran out of money to finish into a movie 50 years ago. He mentioned it to Fat Possum Records, who bought and released some of his recordings recently, and they finished it, viewable on the Fat Possum You Tube channel. Kinda like Questlove's "Summer Of Soul" found footage from 1969, there is some amazing country blues including some Sleepy John Estes and his mandolin playing partner Yank Rachell, who is clearly an influence on Ry Cooder.

And I am proud to be on Adelphi Records as Gene heard Ken Swartz and The Palace of Sin in the Apple Barrel one night and decided then and there to record us, putting out our "Smile Away The Blues" CD on Adelphi.

This is the film:

https://youtu.be/aVhyv-S3R0g

And this is our CD:

https://adelphirecords.com/shop/ken-swartz
    Last edited by chopitulas; 01-26-2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Jon Batiste is not playing fest and is not the Congo TBA that Quint referenced.
      https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...3d96e8fed.html

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
        Jon Batiste is not playing fest and is not the Congo TBA that Quint referenced.
        https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...3d96e8fed.html
        Is it fair to add this to the ever-lengthening list of jazz fest screw-ups in recent years?

Comment

• The Ry and Taj project sounds great. Hope they got along better than Sonny and Terry did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Is it fair to add this to the ever-lengthening list of jazz fest screw-ups in recent years?
            I don't really think so. Carnegie Hall moved the performance date due to Covid. Not sure when that happened or when it was relayed to folks at Festival Productions.............

Comment

• Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I don't really think so. Carnegie Hall moved the performance date due to Covid. Not sure when that happened or when it was relayed to folks at Festival Productions.............
              Fair point.

Comment

Also Willie will be 89 come first weekend, so wise to keep the expectations suitably grounded.
                He's playing The Saenger in March. Tough ticket.

Comment

• Originally posted by NeenAtlanta View Post
                  Midnite Disturbers second weekend!
                  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment

• Originally posted by kh1958 View Post

Well, they have the Cookers, a great band with Billy Harper, who is perhaps the best tenor saxophonist alive, the Newport All Stars looks strong if fairly mainstream (Lew Tabackin, Randy Brecker, Anat Cohen, Christian Sands), the Count Basie ghost band but I hear it is actually pretty good, Antonio Sanchez and Bad Hombre is a fine current jazz group led by a great drummer; Terence Blanchard; Nicholas Payton (a couple of strong Smoke Sessions releases under his belt), and beyond that all the world class jazz talent based in New Orleans. There is plenty of great jazz at the Festival.
                    I came here to say this. I'm not a huge Sanborn head but there's some good stuff there. Bummed the Cookers are first weekend tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruby K View Post

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
                      Well, well, well !! Welcome back Achi.

Comment

• Originally posted by kh1958 View Post

Anat Cohen, the jazz clarinet player, is appearing with the Newport All Stars on the Second Weekend. I'm looking forward to being there.
                        She is an absolute monster player. On clarinet, soprano or tenor, worth your time. That newport set is gonna be aces.

(for folks new to the boards, apparently there's someone named Anat who annoyed a bunch of threadheads long ago. No relation to Anat Cohen)

Comment

Well, well, well !! Welcome back Achi.
                          Ok, so my usual couple month break from the boreds lasted a bit longer but nice to be back. Vas Machsta, Tateh Sheyne?

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

He's playing The Saenger in March. Tough ticket.
                            I have heard the argument Tedeschi Trucks was just here and that may have factored in to their not being booked for Jazz Fest. This kinda puts that notion to rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I have heard the argument Tedeschi Trucks was just here and that may have factored in to their not being booked for Jazz Fest. This kinda puts that notion to rest.
                              I was also surprised that Kingfish, who I believe was on all of the cancelled iterations of fest, is not on the current lineup. But he does have a Saenger show during fest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruby K View Post

Ok, so my usual couple month break from the boreds lasted a bit longer but nice to be back. Vas Machsta, Tateh Sheyne?
                                Mir shlep zich , a bissel...

Comment

Working...
                                X