2022 Lineup Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Ry Cooder & Taj Mahal have a new release coming out in April celebrating the songs of Sonny Terry and Brownie Mcghee. They’re playing two nights in May in San Francisco. Seems like this show would have been a perfect act for Jazzfest. I wonder if Quint even tried to book them.
    And put them in the Blues Tent? No thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
      Second Saturday was looking a bit thin to my tastes, but now that I'm sampling Cuba's Cimafunk, I may be having a change of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auy9DFC2eOE
      Cimafunk are fun band live.

Seratones will surprise some folks that day. A lot of other talented woman playing that day such as Stevie Nicks, Erykah Badu, Shannon McNally, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Samantha Fish...

I rarely ever go second Sat as it's usually the most crowded day. Not sure if will be that bad this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by netdrew View Post

And put them in the Blues Tent? No thanks
        I think that the Blues tent has improved muchly since the standing room area was in introduced.

It is a a great pity that the inhouse sounds guys seem to have so much trouble getting their shit together in there.

To my ears there always seems to be a noticeable improvement if the band has their own sound guy behind the desk.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Cimafunk are fun band live.

Seratones will surprise some folks that day. A lot of other talented woman playing that day such as Stevie Nicks, Erykah Badu, Shannon McNally, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Samantha Fish...

I rarely ever go second Sat as it's usually the most crowded day. Not sure if will be that bad this year.
          My mistake, it's actually second Friday (also thin from my point of view.)

Comment

• Well. Only 52 days away!!!! As I’m starting to get excited, I decided to look at the lineup again. I was shocked to see that Daniel Lanois is playing first Sunday. How did I miss this? I wonder if he was added? Anyways, it’s a great surprise!

Comment

• Originally posted by Thraak View Post
              Well. Only 52 days away!!!! As I’m starting to get excited, I decided to look at the lineup again. I was shocked to see that Daniel Lanois is playing first Sunday. How did I miss this? I wonder if he was added? Anyways, it’s a great surprise!
              This totally had me thinking of Lanois’ electronica Tiny Desk set and what happens when you see one of your musical heroes and find out what they might be doing if the business part of music didn’t matter.

https://youtu.be/KUnUv_395vY

Comment

Well. Only 52 days away!!!! As I’m starting to get excited, I decided to look at the lineup again. I was shocked to see that Daniel Lanois is playing first Sunday. How did I miss this? I wonder if he was added? Anyways, it’s a great surprise!
                He was not on that original lineup. This is good news. And with Brian Blade and Daryl Johnson no less!

Daniel Lanois was the very first act I ever saw at Jazz Fest back in 1989. He had a lot to do with why I even came down as I was really into Yellow Moon which he had produced(I was already a big fan of his) and my friends had planned a trip here so I tagged along. Saw the Nevilles that night at Tip's and the rest is history.
                Last edited by jjazznj; 03-08-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

He was not on that original lineup. This is good news. And with Brian Blade and Daryl Johnson no less!

Daniel Lanois was the very first act I ever saw at Jazz Fest back in 1989. He had a lot to do with why I even came down as I was really into Yellow Moon which he had produced(I was already a big fan of his) and my friends had planned a trip here so I tagged along. Saw the Nevilles that night at Tip's and the rest is history.
                  NICE!!!!
                  For those that are unaware: Daniel Lanois is a Canadian musician/producer extraordinaire! His latest album Heavy Sun is very good. Very melodic and nice rhythms and harmonies. He owned a mansion on Espanade which he turned into Kingsway Studios where he produced albums for bands such as U2, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., Robbie Robertson, Sheryl Crow, Iggy Pop, Blind Melon, Neville Bros.,Cowboy Mouth……

http://kingswaystudio.com/
                  Last edited by Thraak; 03-08-2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

NICE!!!!
                    For those that are unaware: Daniel Lanois is a Canadian musician/producer extraordinaire! His latest album Heavy Sun is very good. Very melodic and nice rhythms and harmonies. He owned a mansion on Espanade which he turned into Kingsway Studios where he produced albums for bands such as U2, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., Robbie Robertson, Sheryl Crow, Iggy Pop, Blind Melon, Neville Bros.,Cowboy Mouth……

http://kingswaystudio.com/
                    Heavy Sun is my favorite album of his since those amazing first two, Acadie and For the Beauty of Wynona. I'm really excited he will be playing.

Comment

• I heard that Randy Newman broke his neck (!) recently and was canceling his tour. Wonder if he'll be at fest (probably not?) and if not who they will replace him with....

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyngal View Post
                        I heard that Randy Newman broke his neck (!) recently and was canceling his tour. Wonder if he'll be at fest (probably not?) and if not who they will replace him with....
                        https://nypost.com/2022/03/02/randy-...o-broken-neck/

Jazz Fest still on his events page:

http://www.randynewman.com/events/

Comment

• Poor Randy. I hope he recovers soon. I was looking forward to his set. Maybe he’ll be there. Love what he said about “shrinking “.

Comment

• Over in the grids thread is a link to Stantons website where he talks about his jazzfest gigs. He notes he’s psyched as hell about FG date with Galactic cause they come on immediately before The Who. A little new info for those predicting cubes….

Comment

• Billy Strings has been giving Alex Hargreaves some stage time, both on Colbert the other night and at some other gigs. Wonder if he may be part of the JF band that day.

Alex is an EXCEPTIONAL fiddler who was a big part of Sarah Jarosz' band before she switched directions a few years back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
                                Billy Strings has been giving Alex Hargreaves some stage time, both on Colbert the other night and at some other gigs. Wonder if he may be part of the JF band that day.

Alex is an EXCEPTIONAL fiddler who was a big part of Sarah Jarosz' band before she switched directions a few years back.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYTHwE9T3PQ&t=221s

Comment

Working...
                                X