No announcement yet.

2022 Lineup Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason Isbell has April 30 listed on his site (first Saturday)

Comment

Originally posted by jg8142 View Post
      Jimmy Buffett's website shows him on Sunday the 8th. Has he ever played on Sunday before? I guess he'll be before Trombone Shorty?
      First Sunday 2018.
      Was scheduled for second Sunday 2021 (fall) before that got canceled.
      (Maybe others)
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dmcraig View Post
        Foo & Avett at the same time is pretty weird to me?? Do you think Avett plays before Foo.. that'd be amazing, but I'm skeptical?
        Foos will close Acura and Avette's on Gentilly

Comment

Headliners weak (except for my WHo fetish). Really lacks some Jazz Tent punch. Where's Herbie???
          What's New...WHO CARES!!! Going all 7 daze for 1st time since '94. Circled at least 70 acts already.
          BRING ME SOME JAZZFEST!!!! Can't Wait

Comment

My initial reaction about locals (and used to be locals) - I'm sure I'm missing a lot

Glad they got a gig (some years they do not):
            • Lynn Drury, Shake 'Em Up Brass Band, Jamie Lynn Vessels, Kristen Diable, 79ers Gang, Maggie Koerner, Lulu & Broadsides (Dayna got 2 gigs), Billy Iuso, Sweet Cecilia, Lilli Lewis, Aurora Nealand (2 slots), Marc Stone. Debbie Davis, Hurray for The Riff Raff, Shamarr Allen, Midnine Disturbers, Seratones, Tuba Skinny,, Shannon McNally, Steve Pistorius, Bob Bon Vivant, Ted Hefko, Dinosaurchestra, Davis Rogan, Glenn Hartman
            These are probably regulars by now, but glad they still got gigs
            • HISB, Andrew Duhon, Alex McMurray, Eric Lindell, Louie Michot, Hellen Gillet, Mia Borders, Kenny Neal, NO Guitar Masters, Bonerama, Sunpie
            Sorry they didn't get gigs
            • Grayson Capps, Tin Men, Shotgun Brass Band, Woodenhead, Dave Jordan, Jon Roniger, Joe Krown, Good Enough For Good Times, Brass-A-Holics, Malevitus, Debauche, Linnzi Zaorski, John Lisi, John Fohl, Deslondes/Sam Doores,

Comment

Originally posted by kingofclubs View Post

Foos will close Acura and Avette's on Gentilly
              We have my first FOMS. Bummer, because they are probably the 2 headliners I'm actually interested in seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

I quickly did a word find for "Christian" in the two weekends looking for the young lion. No dice. He's headlining the Prospect 5 gala soon. Minimum ticket price is $500 a head. I think Christian (who is now an L.A. guy, not an LA guy) is not interested and/or not interested at Quint's price. Randy Brecker in that Wein tribute though!
                Yeah he hasn't played a regular gig here or the fest for a few years. He did Midnight Preserves a couple of years ago but that's about it. His last gig was at The CAC in 2018. Strange for a guy from here and is always talking about his NO roots. That gala is a bit pricey for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Agreed = thought Allison Russell was a no brainer this year
                  Or Adia Victoria who has that great album "A Southern Gothic" which topped some 2021 Best Of lists.

And no Plant & Krauss?

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                    Someone says this every year and it's so cliched but I'm gonna do it again: I thought this was called Jazz Fest?

Arturo Sandoval should be good but David Sanborn? And once again no Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah? So many great young, hot jazz musicians out there they could get to play.

And as others have noted, what about the guy on the poster who is up for 11 Grammys this year? Surely he must be playing.
                    Well, they have the Cookers, a great band with Billy Harper, who is perhaps the best tenor saxophonist alive, the Newport All Stars looks strong if fairly mainstream (Lew Tabackin, Randy Brecker, Anat Cohen, Christian Sands), the Count Basie ghost band but I hear it is actually pretty good, Antonio Sanchez and Bad Hombre is a fine current jazz group led by a great drummer; Terence Blanchard; Nicholas Payton (a couple of strong Smoke Sessions releases under his belt), and beyond that all the world class jazz talent based in New Orleans. There is plenty of great jazz at the Festival.

Comment

Some of the "down the page" bands I'm most excited about:
                      War & Treaty, Cha Wa, Martha Redbone Roots Project, Kristen Diable, 79ers Gang, Maggie Koerner, Lulu & The Broadsides, Billy Iuso, Naughty Professor, Aurora Nealand, Jamie Lynn Vessels, Spencer Bohren Remembered, Geno Delafose, Shake 'Em Up Brass Band, Lynn Drury, NO Guitar Masters, Cimafunk, Bettye Lavette, HISB, Seratones, Meschiya Lake, Campbell Brothers, Andrew Duhon, Flow Tribe, Mr. Sipp, Alex McMurray and His Band, Midnite Disturbers, Tuba Skinny, Shannon McNally, Kenny Neal, Mia Borders, Seva Venet, Ted Hefko, David & Roselyn & Arlee

Comment

Yeah he hasn't played a regular gig here or the fest for a few years. He did Midnight Preserves a couple of years ago but that's about it. His last gig was at The CAC in 2018. Strange for a guy from here and is always talking about his NO roots. That gala is a bit pricey for me.
                        His last appearance at the festival was an epic failure by the sound crew. He might not want to deal with that again.

Comment

And no Plant & Krauss?
                          That’s the one that surprised me. From Plant’s website, it does not look like they tour until June, though.

Comment

Jason Isbell, Avett Brothers, War & Treaty, Midnite Disturbers.

Sure, there are some names I'd love to see added, but I'm thrilled to see these performers.

Comment

And no Plant & Krauss?
                              It's probably too early for them, as their tour doesn't start until June 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by jg8142 View Post
                                Jimmy Buffett's website shows him on Sunday the 8th. Has he ever played on Sunday before? I guess he'll be before Trombone Shorty?
                                He played at Acura on Sunday May 5, 2019 before Shorty's closing set. I remember because we walked into the Grand Marshall area at the end of his set just in time to hear him butcher One Love, which Shorty did later in his set. The Buffett fans cleared out at the end, and we moved to the rail for Shorty.

Comment

Working...
                                X