The Cookers tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cookers tour

I was intending to see The Cookers during week one, but they are playing Pittsburgh in a few days. Looks like that frees up some time at JF to see someone else and see them here. The acoustics will be better.

The Cookers Music

They have a large repertoire. I would see them more than once with the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by ice nine View Post
      The acoustics will be better.The Cookers Music
      Certainly the acoustics should be better both for the audience and for the musicians--really being able to hear each other well is what allows the music to "cook." The only band that I thought really sound good in the Jazz Tent since it moved off of the grass infield was Wayne Shorter's quartet, but they brought in there own mics and sound people, and they set up unusually close together (like one would in a club and not on a large stage.)

Comment

Went on Saturday night. A very, very good show. Saw some women wearing fur coats in the audience.

Comment

I just discovered drummer Billy Hart played on Pharoah Sanders' "Karma" with "The Creator Has A Master Plan."
          Last edited by chopitulas; 02-22-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
            I just discovered drummer Billy Hart played on Pharoah Sanders' "Karma" with "The Creator Has A Master Plan."
            Probably the list of the major figures of his era he never recorded with is shorter than those he has.

Comment

Absolutely go see these guys ina club if you can. Saw them twice at BAltimore's intimate Keystone Korner and they are amazing. Up against the Who so I am skipping them at fest and hoping they return to Bmore soon. They are rolling down CA this month and then have 5 nights in Birdland NYC and 4 at Blues Alley DC.
              Superb, each and every one of them. They won't be around forever so catch them while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                And I just found out yesterday, that he turned down James Brown to play with Jimmy Smith instead.

Comment

Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post
                  Absolutely go see these guys ina club if you can. Saw them twice at BAltimore's intimate Keystone Korner and they are amazing. Up against the Who so I am skipping them at fest and hoping they return to Bmore soon. They are rolling down CA this month and then have 5 nights in Birdland NYC and 4 at Blues Alley DC.
                  Superb, each and every one of them. They won't be around forever so catch them while you can.
                  Want to get together for one of the Blues Alley shows? Looks like March 17-20.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

And I just found out yesterday, that he turned down James Brown to play with Jimmy Smith instead.
                    Kidd Jordan once told me that James wanted to put Kidd and Archie Shepp in the band--no idea how serious he was but . . . "Good Gawd!"

Comment

Saw The Cookers last night in Santa Cruz, CA. As always they were fabulous. Go see these masters if you get the chance. They won’t be around forever. Cecil McBee is 86, Billy Hart is 81, Billy Harper is 79, \George Cables is 77, Eddie Henderson is 81. Craig Handy was on Alto last night, in for Donald Harrison. I would assume Donald will be there at Fest.

Comment

Working...
                      X