Crime in NoLa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime in NoLa

Yikes! From an article in todays Times-Picyune (Nola.com). Always a bit sketchy but this is becoming a bit troublesome.

"Such shocking scenes are reality for a growing number of New Orleanians as violent crime surges in the city. In the first month of 2022, homicides were up 120% compared to the same period in 2021; shootings were up 233%; and carjackings were up 400%, according to data compiled by the Metropolitan Crime Commission. The numbers mirror national trends, and they spurred Mayor LaToya Cantrell on Wednesday to describe the bloodshed as “terrorism … happening on our streets.”

When the economy is bad, crime goes up. As the TP article indicated, crime is up in most major cities. The pandemic has hurt the world wide economy and we are experiencing the inflation that economists warned us about for years. Some parts of NOLA are worse than others. We all have to be careful, just as we always have. People don't come to New Orleans because it's safe.
    Last edited by Kemp; 02-08-2022, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
      People don't come to New Orleans because it's safe.
      Perhaps, but I don't think that it is unreasonable to want to feel "safe" once you have come to New Orleans. I happen to get gasoline from that very same Costco where that poor woman got her skull fractured just the other day while fueling her automobile. That "was" my safe haven station since so many of the others that I have patronized previously have really become targets. When looking for excuses to justify turning ones head and ignoring reality and pontificating about world wide suffering that to me me harkens back to the "you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem" framework. Silence is golden if you're in to crime as a vocation.

Comment

I get my gas at the Costco, too, and there is always a line and a wait of 10 - 15 minutes. There are people all around. I read someone say the woman shouldn't have left her keys in the car. I can assure you it was never a thought to me that would be a good idea there. When I finally get to the pump, I flip my gas cap switch, get outta the car, and fuel up. Never once did I think it was a bad idea leaving my keys in. That a car jacking could so brazenly happen there is a sign of how bad it is these days.

Then I see the parking lot I park in often next to the St. Roch Market was hit during the Chewbacchus Parade with a bunch of windows shattered.

When you start recognizing places part of your normal routine being where crime occurs, you start to wonder when your number is gonna come up.

Comment

The Costco one is news because so many of us fill up there. When there's a carjacking at a small gas station uptown or in Gentilly, if it makes the news at all it's a brief mention in a daily crime roundup article. But do the math: 16 pumps almost always in use, 15 hours a day. If it takes 3 minutes to fill up, that's about 5000 cars daily, over the last 3 years, around 5 million fill ups. And there's been one carjacking there, plus one other attempt, the night before, the same perp, and he's in custody now, and with an additional unrelated charge of murdering a child, he may never get out. You could argue that Costco is statistically among the safest places in town for gas.

That's not to deny the overall crime problem isn't bad and getting worse. The numbers quoted in post #1 say compared to 2021, but if you click thru to the source, really they are compared to 2019. 2019 seems like the more relevant comparison, since that's the pre-pandemic "normal". For what its worth, I heard my Councilman speak last month, and he felt that carjackings were actually under-reported, usually, the police only categorize it that way if the victim is in the vehicle at the time. If you leave the keys inside and they jump in, or if you're near the car and an armed perp robs you of your keys, that may not be counted in the stats.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
            When the economy is bad, crime goes up. As the TP article indicated, crime is up in most major cities. The pandemic has hurt the world wide economy and we are experiencing the inflation that economists warmed us about for years. Some parts of NOLA are worse than others. We all have to be careful, just as we always have. People don't come to New Orleans because it's safe.
            Totally agree. Here in Chicago crime rates have risen at a high rate and continue to do so in 2022. Shootings and carjackings are are a daily occurance, hourly for that matter. Also, high end merchandise is also a major target. The Burberry store on Michigan Avenue (The Magnificent Mile) has been hit three time this year and other high end store have been robbed in broad daylight. The criminal come in with a group and start smashing display cases and running off with the goods. It is starting to spread out to the surrounding suburban shopping malls as well.

And to be fair, some of the crime does not make the news. I have a close cousin on the force (Chicago CPD) and he is part of a CPD carjacking tactical unit working with Illinois State Police and federal agents trying to slow down the carjackings. The stories I've heard are quite disturbing and the rate at which they happen are alarming. It has basically spread city wide; does not matter what part of Chicago you are in. I'm halfway between downtown Chicago and O'Hare Airport (Jefferson Park Neighborhood, Chicago proper) and we are seeing the uptick in crime. Two days ago there was a carjacking in broad daylight at a gas station blocks from my house.

That all said, we still love coming to NOLA, however you need to pay attention and be aware of your surroundings. We always have and always will.

Chicago Crime numbers, first 6 weeks of 2022
            https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-co...022-Week-6.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Perhaps, but I don't think that it is unreasonable to want to feel "safe" once you have come to New Orleans. I happen to get gasoline from that very same Costco where that poor woman got her skull fractured just the other day while fueling her automobile. That "was" my safe haven station since so many of the others that I have patronized previously have really become targets. When looking for excuses to justify turning ones head and ignoring reality and pontificating about world wide suffering that to me me harkens back to the "you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem" framework. Silence is golden if you're in to crime as a vocation.

I didn't say anything about staying "silent". . I'm not pontificating about "world wide suffering". And I'm sure as fuck not saying anything about "turning one's head and ignoring reality". And I really don't see what the hell Malcolm X ("you're either part of the solution or part of the problem") has to do with any of this. If your point is to be careful when you come to New Orleans. I get it, and I think most of us get it. Is that your point? I consider you a threadhead friend, and I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I wonder if you are trying to dissuade us from coming this year?
              Last edited by Kemp; 02-08-2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

There is no doubt that crime has spiraled out of control in this city. It is approaching levels we have not seen since the early 90s although not nearly as many carjackings back then. I'm happy that I do not own a car, at least that can't happen to me. It does not make me feel any better or safer knowing that this is a national trend. Quite the opposite actually. The worst part is that there is little hope that our leaders have the will , the know how or the tools to do much about it. The police are at odds with The DA. The same criminals get caught, let go and then go out and commit more crimes on a regular basis. People are leaving this city in droves. Can't say I blame them. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to raise children here regardless of how much money you have.

I just got back from 5 wonderful days and nights in Nashville. I felt so much safer there than here, the same feeling as when I go to Austin. I wish I had that same feeling in my own city.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                  I just got back from 5 wonderful days and nights in Nashville. I felt so much safer there than here, the same feeling as when I go to Austin. I wish I had that same feeling in my own city.
                  Which Music City do you like best? Austin or Nashville. I need to get back to Nashville soon. Target date 2023 for Americana Fest.

Comment

I’m harkening back to several years-worth of Fest pilgrimages when violent & brazen crime reports were coming out of the 9th/Bywater/Marigny in the first weeks of Mar/Apr, only to have the “cavalry”, in the form of State Troopers, ride to the rescue, as it were, by patrolling the streets and magically making it leagues safer to walk the outlying areas. Can’t remember the year, but the infamous video of the guy (early April) on-foot on Burgundy talking on his new iPhone getting mugged and actually snatching the shotgun from one of the guys in the car happened a few blocks from our usual pad. Scared the crap outta my krewe - we walk past that place every day while we’re there, sometimes in the wee hours. By the time we arrived all was well, and the neighborhood was just that, a neighborhood. I’ve since read that those extra trooper patrols would typically start around Mardi Gras, but that doesn’t jibe with all of the past April stats. The critical failure of the New Orleans justice system was that even those violent perpetrators picked-up by the Statey patrols entered the 180-days-hold-no-prosecution do-loop (see Federal Justice Dept. intervention). I saw some interaction between the NOPD and troopers in the Quarter, and they seemed genial - for an interaction between 2 forces with wildly different public perceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                      I don’t know about Nashville (I want to learn!), but my first trips to Austin chasing blues weren’t all that warm-and-fuzzy as far as feeling safe and protected, and my traveling pal and bandmate is 6’4” and I’m close. We stayed in the Austin Motel, which had a vibrant nefarious hang on the premises. I remember my pal putting his plane tix, cash & other in his cowboy boot in the event our room got tossed while we’re at the Continental. Laughable now, as the the Austin Motel has an L.A. pool scene for the boutique visitors now. And, no, the gentrified South Austin isn’t the same, either. But safer!

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

I don’t know about Nashville (I want to learn!), but my first trips to Austin chasing blues weren’t all that warm-and-fuzzy as far as feeling safe and protected, and my traveling pal and bandmate is 6’4” and I’m close. We stayed in the Austin Motel, which had a vibrant nefarious hang on the premises. I remember my pal putting his plane tix, cash & other in his cowboy boot in the event our room got tossed while we’re at the Continental. Laughable now, as the the Austin Motel has an L.A. pool scene for the boutique visitors now. And, no, the gentrified South Austin isn’t the same, either. But safer!
                        Oh Yeah......the Austin Motel !!!! They should have closed it and put a fence around it and made it a national landmark. What a place. Didn't have to go far for seriously good music either. Like across the street. Oh the changes. Not for everyone in the old days.....but neither was the fantastically great republic of Texas. They were proud that they had never joined those other United States of America.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Oh Yeah......the Austin Motel !!!! They should have closed it and put a fence around it and made it a national landmark. What a place. Didn't have to go far for seriously good music either. Like across the street. Oh the changes. Not for everyone in the old days.....but neither was the fantastically great republic of Texas. They were proud that they had never joined those other United States of America.
                          The Austin Motel was my hang, too. I still have my El Sol Y La Luna t-shirt from when the restaurant in the front was a cheap Mexican place. But the Motel got bought out by a hospitality group that owns the San Jose Hotel next to Jo's Coffee and that doubled the price, with the restaurant very expensive now, as well. It used to be so reasonable with such great access to the Continental Club. I have had some of the best times of my life staying there.

The hospitality group was very kind to LA residents during Hurricane Ida and they gave me a greatly reduced price so I was able to stay there again after many years when the heat in my house with no A/C forced me to leave. They did do a great job with the renovations...the beds are now Memory Foam and so comfortable, I believe the bathroom floors were heated, and there was a cool retro vibe throughout. I arrived Labor Day and the pool was packed but that was because it was a holiday and it was full of non-residents. After that, it wasn't crowded at all and was so pleasant being as it was 95 degrees. I love that place and wish I could get that price all the time!

Just read recently La Mexicana, the 24 hour bakery next to Polvo's on S. 1st, closed. That is a shame as their pastries and breakfast burritos were great. I didn't realize it was open 24 hours and wish I had known that as I woulda been in there after shows in the past.

01 Austin Motel 1.jpg

01 Austin Motel 2.jpg 01 Austin Motel 3.jpg
                          Last edited by chopitulas; 02-09-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post

Which Music City do you like best? Austin or Nashville. I need to get back to Nashville soon. Target date 2023 for Americana Fest.
                            That was my first time in Nashville. We had fun but it was chilly and food was hit or miss. Austin on the other hand I go to a lot as in a few times a year. I like Austin a lot more for food and music. I'd go back to Nashville when it's warmer out but not in any rush.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

I go to Austin a lot, 5 times this past year or so and have never felt the least bit unsafe. The city has changed a lot over the years, some good, a lot that I don't like at all. They still have some great local music to see although not as much as when I first started going there.

Comment

Working...
                              X