Hey Matthew Morman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MormonMatthew View Post
    Thanks everybody, your kind words and well wishes are much appreciated.

MM
    You're a good man Matthew. Our prayers are with you and Ania...and prayers also for the Ukrainian citizens and the wonderful Polish citizens as well. Take care...hope to see you soon.

Comment

Thanks Chuck, I look forward to hanging out with you as well, you will love Ania, she is really something else, truly a little Polska angel...

I think the last time I saw you was when we bumped into each other at the Rusty Pelican on St. Charles back in 2017? It is almost impossible to wrap my head around just how totally and completely my life has changed since then, all for the better. Hope things are going well for you and your family, it seems like these are uncharted waters for just about everyone currently.

Damn, a couple of orders of those cheap Happy Hour chargrilled oysters would be a welcome godsend around here right about now...
      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 03-06-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

MM, would it be helpful to you if we sent you money to bring supplies to folks or would that be overwhelming to have that responsibility?

Comment

Matthew, do you support Poland joining NATO?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
            Matthew, do you support Poland joining NATO?
            They've been in Nato since Matthew was a Mormon...

Comment

Matthew- I came here to ask what Vanessa asked - if it would be helpful to send some money to help with supplies, please let us know. And thank you for doing what you are doing (which is NOT next to nothing). Stay safe, I hope we get to listen to Wilco out in the sunshine at the fairgrounds again soon.

Comment

Hi Matthew,

I’m praying for and thinking about you, your lady and everyone else out that way. Been too long, my friend. Hope to see you again sometime soon. Stay safe.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

They've been in Nato since Matthew was a Mormon...
                  Or since he wasn't ......

Comment

Be safe, Matthew.

Comment

Thanks everyone, but I just needed to do something, I hated feeling useless, when there are over a million strangers, mere miles from my home who are experiencing likely what literally is the worst thing that has ever happened to them in their lives, having to flee their homeland and their homes, with only what they can fit in a few bags? Many leaving loved ones behind (as I understand it, in most cases, men between 18-60 are not allowed to leave Ukraine and are expected to sign up for the People's Army, which is sounds like a cross between a kind of National Guard and a militia) with no assurances that they will ever see each other again.

Everyone here in Poland is doing what they can, thousands of private citizens are driving to the Polish/Ukrainian border and offering strangers free rides to anywhere they need to go, which is some cases might be Germany, Austria or Italy, and gas is crazy expensive here. Our neighbor Rose opened up her home to a Ukrainian woman and her young son, who she had never met before, and Ania's father (my father-in-law) who is 76, has signed up to do the same thing, it is truly incredible to see, average, ordinary people reaching out, many of them from very humble personal circumstances themselves, to total strangers in need simply because it is the right thing to do.

Vanessa, Nicole, thank you for your generous offer, but candidly, I have only spent a trivial amount of money, a case of water is less than 3 bucks, a box of Polish chocolate bars that are popular isn't too much more, so all in, I figured I have spent less than what a bloody mary at Liuzza's and 3 or 4 cans of beer at Ms. Lena's Zulu tent would run, which is clearly not enough.

Ania and I talked last night, and we agreed that we wouldn't feel right going on vacation right now, spending money on ourselves when so many other people are so destitute and in need, so we decided to cancel our trip to Madrid at the end of this month (I wanted to take her to see Van Morrison at least once in her life, and she has also never been to Spain before, so we were both looking forward to it very much) and we will put the money that we would have spent towards helping people who are in need. We both know that it is the right thing to do.

Finally, yesterday when I was at the train station, I noticed a tent where the official volunteers go to check in for their assignment or shift for the day, I found someone who seemed to be in charge who spoke excellent English, and long story short, now both Ania and myself are signed up to work helping the refugees on our days off of work. Apparently there are many, many various assignments and ways to help that we could be asked to do, I might end up doing something pretty simple (like passing out water, which I am very qualified to do) due to my lack of Ukrainian skills, but Ania is fluent in Russian from her high school days, and Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, so they were very excited to hear that, she could end up translating or otherwise assisting communication between refugees and Polish people who would like to house them, Ania is by nature such an incredibly warm, kind, caring person, there isn't anyone on Earth who would be better at a job like that, she truly needs to help people, it is just who she is in her core, so this is what we will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, we both feel so much better, knowing that we get the chance to try and make someone's life a tiny bit better, and I know that if my Threadhead friends were over here with us you would all be doing the same.

Take care everyone,

Do Zobaczenia,

Matthew i Ania
                      Last edited by MormonMatthew; 03-08-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, but I just needed to do something, I hated feeling useless, when there are over a million strangers, mere miles from my home who are experiencing likely what literally is the worst thing that has ever happened to them in their lives, having to flee their homeland and their homes, with only what they can fit in a few bags? Many leaving loved ones behind (as I understand it, in most cases, men between 18-60 are not allowed to leave Ukraine and are expected to sign up for the People's Army, which is sounds like a cross between a kind of National Guard and a militia) with no assurances that they will ever see each other again.

Everyone here in Poland is doing what they can, thousands of private citizens are driving to the Polish/Ukrainian border and offering strangers free rides to anywhere they need to go, which is some cases might be Germany, Austria or Italy, and gas is crazy expensive here. Our neighbor Rose opened up her home to a Ukrainian woman and her young son, who she had never met before, and Ania's father (my father-in-law) who is 76, has signed up to do the same thing, it is truly incredible to see, average, ordinary people reaching out, many of them from very humble personal circumstances themselves, to total strangers in need simply because it is the right thing to do.

Vanessa, Nicole, thank you for your generous offer, but candidly, I have only spent a trivial amount of money, a case of water is less than 3 bucks, a box of Polish chocolate bars that are popular isn't too much more, so all in, I figured I have spent less than what a bloody mary at Liuzza's and 3 or 4 cans of beer at Ms. Lena's Zulu tent would run, which is clearly not enough.

Ania and I talked last night, and we agreed that we wouldn't feel right going on vacation right now, spending money on ourselves when so many other people are so destitute and in need, so we decided to cancel our trip to Madrid at the end of this month (I wanted to take her to see Van Morrison at least once in her life, and she has also never been to Spain before, so we were both looking forward to it very much) and we will put the money that we would have spent towards helping people who are in need. We both know that it is the right thing to do.

Finally, yesterday when I was at the train station, I noticed a tent where the official volunteers go to check in for their assignment or shift for the day, I found someone who seemed to be in charge who spoke excellent English, and long story short, now both Ania and myself are signed up to work helping the refugees on our days off of work. Apparently there are many, many various assignments and ways to help that we could be asked to do, I might end up doing something pretty simple (like passing out water, which I am very qualified to do) due to my lack of Ukrainian skills, but Ania is fluent in Russian from her high school days, and Russian and Ukrainian are mutually intelligible, so they were very excited to hear that, she could end up translating or otherwise assisting communication between refugees and Polish people who would like to house them, Ania is by nature such an incredibly warm, kind, caring person, there isn't anyone on Earth who would be better at a job like that, she truly needs to help people, it is just who she is in her core, so this is what we will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, we both feel so much better, knowing that we get the chance to try and make someone's life a tiny bit better, and I know that if my Threadhead friends were over here with us you would all be doing the same.

Take care everyone,

Do Zobaczenia,

Matthew i Ania
                        Thanks Matthew. I am impressed and humbled by all that all of you are doing. It really is awesome, heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Be well, stay safe and I hope you get to see Van and some other live music again soon, and I look forward to the day when I see you on the Fairgrounds and finally get to meet Ania.

Comment

Originally posted by festivalgirl View Post

Or since he wasn't ......
                          Hey Chrissa, I have searched my old email accounts, but was unable to find your number (maybe it is not the same one that I had anyway) but I would love to call and catch up if you would feel like it.

You and Steve were such wonderful friends to me, I just wanted to reach out and tell you how much I enjoyed spending time with you in both New Orleans and Los Angeles.

Back in 2019 when Ania and I were on our honeymoon in Greece (I think I remember that is where you and Steve went for yours as well?) I saw a little something and picked it up for you two, planning on giving it to you at my next Jazzfest, but with the way things are going in this [email protected] neck of the woods, who knows when that is going to be, so maybe I could just send it to you instead.

I have an (American) Skype number, you could call me at no cost to you, or you can PM me with your info if you would like.

I know things are not easy for you right now, but if you would like to reach out, I would love to hear from you.

Matthew

(my number is "Ate Owe Won" 895 4868)
                          Last edited by MormonMatthew; 03-08-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Take care everyone,

Do Zobaczenia,

Matthew i Ania
                            Wow, MM--thank you and Ania for both being part of the volunteer effort. That's amazing. I can't imagine the impact this will have on you both.
                            I too hope to see you both at the fairgrounds someday soon. Until then please know you have the support, admiration, and care of the TH Nation.

Comment

Take care everyone,

Do Zobaczenia,

Matthew i Ania
                              Wow. Keep doing good things, Mr and Mrs. Matthew. Hopefully, Putin crashes and burns soon.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kemp;n866810]

Wow. Keep doing good things, Mr and Mrs. Matthew. Hopefully, Putin crashes and burns soon.[/QUOT

I'm so proud of the way so many have responded with acts of kindness and bravery in the face of such evil. Proud yes but not surprised. God Bless you and Ania, and all those in harms way. Keep the Love and Hope alive! Praying for Peace!

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X