Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Opens in Tulsa today (Thursday).

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsatime View Post
        Opens in Tulsa today (Thursday).
        Handle/post!

Comment

Playing at my local art house. Curious as to who's behind it. Shell?

The trailer is all super quick cuts, so practically unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
            Playing at my local art house. Curious as to who's behind it. Shell?

The trailer is all super quick cuts, so practically unwatchable.
            Not just the trailer. I would've enjoyed watching about anything concerning Jazzfest, even porta potty lines, but I found a good bit that I wasn't crazy about. There was some great footage and photos, but they didn't stay in the frame long enough to see anything. It was disturbing how fast it moved from shot to shot. I also found that there was a good deal of concentration on artists who were not from New Orleans or Louisiana. They did a good job of trying to bring the culture to the viewer, but not quite as much in the musical performances. I still enjoyed it a lot, and the last twenty minutes or so helped to redeem it. Yes, I am a big critic.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the objective evaluation's.

Comment

Originally posted by Renee View Post
                Skywalker Sound (place I just retired from, after 25 years) did the post on this. Hoping to get to see a screening of this, at the ranch! ( they haven't had screenings in 2 years due to Covid)
                Renee, you must know my cousin Phil B!

Comment

Heading out to see the film this evening at our local art house.

Comment

I was all set to go tonight but tested positive today. Hope it streams soon. At least I got it after CFF instead of before.

Comment

Saw it last night, a few reactions. (May have more later)

Within the first 5 minutes there's a major error where they say the first Jazzfest was in 1971 (it was 1970). That had me worried, but it was the only error I saw.

They somehow found some footage of Quint pre-Jazzfest, I think it said 1963, second-lining in a street parade. That was wild.

I think they used effects in some cases to make 2019 footage look vintage, like showing it lower/non-HD resolution, or maybe slightly sepia-ing the color?

Yes, it's loaded with non-NOLA headliners, but it's not just performance clips. In the filmed interviews where they talk, they all discuss why New Orleans and/or Jazzfest is so important. So it's not just Katy Perry singing at Fest, but you get her telling you how great fest is. If you consider the film not just as a documentary record but also as an advertisement for the festival, that seems pretty effective.
                      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Agree with Swag that as an overview of what Fest is like today for most/ advertisement, it works. Those of us here are such acolytes, we all have our own ways to savor JF, and my guess would like to have seen that portrayed. I would have liked more respect for smaller stages, Economy Hall, Lagniappe, Fais Do Do, Heritage. Plus more footage from those, not just big stage, Congo Square, Blues Tent, and snippets from Gospel and Jazz. Would have loved some mention of how while most people gather at big stages, there are plenty who go to others. Would have loved more mention of current NO groups -- Bonerama, Aurora Nealand, Klezmer All-Stars, Galactic, Johnny V, et al -- carrying on the tradition instead of extended Pitbull/ Katy Perry segments. I'm always amazed how when the genesis of Fest is being discussed, the significance of Alison Miner is diminished or not mentioned. Just one photo was it. More acknowledgement of Toussaint, Dr John, Fats, Ernie K-Doe would also have been nice. All those plaints notwithstanding, it was wonderful watching it on a Friday morning (Amazon Prime). Spurred me to pull out for dinner the last two Crawfish Strudel that have been in my freezer. Next year, Lord willing and creek don't rise, I'll have 35 written on my palm.

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

Not just the trailer. I would've enjoyed watching about anything concerning Jazzfest, even porta potty lines, but I found a good bit that I wasn't crazy about. There was some great footage and photos, but they didn't stay in the frame long enough to see anything. It was disturbing how fast it moved from shot to shot. I also found that there was a good deal of concentration on artists who were not from New Orleans or Louisiana. They did a good job of trying to bring the culture to the viewer, but not quite as much in the musical performances. I still enjoyed it a lot, and the last twenty minutes or so helped to redeem it. Yes, I am a big critic.
                          Thanks for the review. It certainly doesn’t get my expectations very high which is good to know going into it. It would be nice to do some sort of multi part documentary on Jazzfest utilizing the archive footage. Of course maybe there isn’t enough interest to justify whatever that would cost. All that being said I am looking forward to seeing this Jazzfest advertisement.

Comment

It seems to be geared toward people that have never been to the fest which is fine. If I can watch it on TV or online I probably would but no interest in going to a theater to see it. Like others have said I'm more interested in footage from the 70s-90s, not from a few years ago.

Comment

Quint and The Neville's must have had a really bad fallout.
                              one snippet of Aaron but no mention of The Brothers or of The Radiators.

Comment

Originally posted by where yat brah View Post
                                Quint and The Neville's must have had a really bad fallout.
                                one snippet of Aaron but no mention of The Brothers or of The Radiators.
                                Interesting observation. I have not seen it and had thought about it because I feel the love that all of us here do, but the excellent and objective observations just kind of dampened my interest. The above observation quirks my interest. I have held the opinion and stated such that Quint is just another employee now that the ownership has changed so dramatically. He is a recognized personality and has some influence as such but I just don't believe that he makes any significant decisions any longer. Hence my quick interest in the above post. Is there a fallout and resulting animosities or are the financiers behind the film just so blindly ignorant to "Jazzfest" that they are just oblivious and Davis is not even involved? I think the latter but if it is the former, oh-h-h-h, we got some gossip and we need some "loose lips".

Comment

Working...
                                X