New Jazzfest Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by where yat brah View Post
    Quint and The Neville's must have had a really bad fallout.
    one snippet of Aaron but no mention of The Brothers or of The Radiators.
    Seeing The Neville's closing out the fest is the #1 reason we flew down here year after year back in the 90s.
    Last edited by jjazznj; 06-12-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by where yat brah View Post
      Quint and The Neville's must have had a really bad fallout.
      one snippet of Aaron but no mention of The Brothers or of The Radiators.
      Though Quint is listed as an Executive Producer, I doubt he made editing decisions on the film. Which doesn't mean that the failure to mention the Nevilles is excusable.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Amazon Prime - we streamed it last night. Enjoyed watching but felt the film got stuck somewhere between an excellent infomercial and travelogue about JF and a true feature length historical documentary. As noted above, there were many obvious omissions involving The Meters, Dr. John, Radiators, Marcia Ball, Cleary, Allen Toussaint and numerous others. And what is Quint's preoccupation with Katy Perry? OTOH, there were many powerful and memorable scenes (Springsteen after Katrina, Rev. Al Green, Irma Thomas and more) that captured the true JF Moments we all want to see. So, go ahead and see an enjoyable film knowing it is not the full length feature historical documentary that wished it was and could have been.

Comment

Dang. I looked for it on Prime but didn’t see it.

Comment

Originally posted by FestJester View Post
            Thanks for the tip on Amazon Prime - we streamed it last night. Enjoyed watching but felt the film got stuck somewhere between an excellent infomercial and travelogue about JF and a true feature length historical documentary. As noted above, there were many obvious omissions involving The Meters, Dr. John, Radiators, Marcia Ball, Cleary, Allen Toussaint and numerous others. And what is Quint's preoccupation with Katy Perry? OTOH, there were many powerful and memorable scenes (Springsteen after Katrina, Rev. Al Green, Irma Thomas and more) that captured the true JF Moments we all want to see. So, go ahead and see an enjoyable film knowing it is not the full length feature historical documentary that wished it was and could have been.
            Thanks, you convinced not to even bother watching it. Hopefully Take Me To The River: New Orleans is worth watching. The soundtrack has some good tunes on it including the last recording by The Neville Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aQP6kn9dLe6NbA

https://takemetotheriver.org/new-orleans/

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Thanks, you convinced not to even bother watching it. Hopefully Take Me To The River: New Orleans is worth watching. The soundtrack has some good tunes on it including the last recording by The Neville Brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aQP6kn9dLe6NbA

https://takemetotheriver.org/new-orleans/
              I thought Take Me to the River: New Orleans was very good!

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

I thought Take Me to the River: New Orleans was very good!
                I've read very mixed reviews. The one I just read said they try to cover too much ground in 2 hours, something a lot of these types of movies do and that it is unfocused. I'll check it out one of these days.

Comment

I saw the Fest movie yesterday and Take Me to the River a couple of weeks ago (both at theaters); enjoyed 'River more.

Tried to find my totem in every shot but didn't see it. Fess Head and Love Chop (with shirtless Murray) made it in numerous scenes.

Just my luck that for the two most emotional concert scenes--Springsteen and Aaron singing 'Amazing Grace' with Shorty--I was at other stages (Meters and Radiators).

Agree with many comments here; also noted the minimal mention of Allison Miner. Surprised they didn't catch the first year error. The film spent some time on Ben Jaffe doing the math about being a Jazz Fest baby, counting back from his January 1971 birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post

Agree with many comments here; also noted the minimal mention of Allison Miner. Surprised they didn't catch the first year error.
                    I bet Allison wouldn't be surprised to be shunted to the side.

Comment

Ending the movie with Buffett doing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was a head-scratcher for me, and I like Buffett. Fine with me if he's in the movie twice, but the movie needed to close with the Nevilles doing "One Love" or something else quintessential. Besides, Buffett only played that song because the Stones hadn't shown up. And for Lord's sake, give the Rads some overdue love.

To my mind you'd get a better sense of what the Fest is all about by going to Youtube and typing in "Midnite Disturbers."

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post
                        Ending the movie with Buffett doing "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was a head-scratcher for me, and I like Buffett. Fine with me if he's in the movie twice, but the movie needed to close with the Nevilles doing "One Love" or something else quintessential. Besides, Buffett only played that song because the Stones hadn't shown up. And for Lord's sake, give the Rads some overdue love.

To my mind you'd get a better sense of what the Fest is all about by going to Youtube and typing in "Midnite Disturbers."
                        Showing Buffet at all over The Rads is just plain pathetic and I'm not even a big Rads fan but c'mon. Never got why Buffett has always been such a big part of JF yet so many other deserving acts have never played the fest even once. Yet another reason to not want to watch this movie. Haha.

And yes, there is only one act that should close this JF movie except The Nevilles were no more when they filmed it so I guess it should have been Shorty who I believe had Cyril and Aaron with him that year.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Never got why Buffett has always been such a big part of JF yet so many other deserving acts have never played the fest even once.
                          While I certainly agree that they should've had the Nevilles or the Rads close out this movie (and no Pitbull or Katy Perry), those of us who have been going a long time appreciate Buffett's dedication to the Fest. Whether you are a fan of his music or not, in the years before big business got involved in the booking, his appearance brought a ton of people to Jazzfest. He came whenever they needed someone and presumably at a very low price. He loves the Fest and it has shown in many ways over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

While I certainly agree that they should've had the Nevilles or the Rads close out this movie (and no Pitbull or Katy Perry), those of us who have been going a long time appreciate Buffett's dedication to the Fest. Whether you are a fan of his music or not, in the years before big business got involved in the booking, his appearance brought a ton of people to Jazzfest. He came whenever they needed someone and presumably at a very low price. He loves the Fest and it has shown in many ways over the years.
                            I'm not a fan of his music, but I appreciate this.

Comment

Warren Buffett plays at Jazz Fest? I didn't know.

Comment

There is a family relationship which probably accounts for Jimmy's business acumen.

Comment

Working...
                                X