Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Jazzfest Movie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I agree there was too much Buffett but (correct me if I'm wrong) the 'Can't Always Get What You Want' clip was the only shot of the 2022 Fest and it seemed like an afterword to the film to show the Fest occurred post covid cancellations. If you look at it that way the ending was Aaron singing 'Amazing Grace' (or was there a scene between that and Buffett?)

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post
      I agree there was too much Buffett but (correct me if I'm wrong) the 'Can't Always Get What You Want' clip was the only shot of the 2022 Fest and it seemed like an afterword to the film to show the Fest occurred post covid cancellations. If you look at it that way the ending was Aaron singing 'Amazing Grace' (or was there a scene between that and Buffett?)
      He's also shown doing Margaritaville, not sure what year that was from though.

      Again, no denying that Buffett is a friend of the Fest and an important part of its history (and probably a good guy as well). He just seems an unlijkely choice for the one artist to feature most prominently in a Fest film (and in the poster), considering all the absentees.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Staxsun View Post

        While I certainly agree that they should've had the Nevilles or the Rads close out this movie (and no Pitbull or Katy Perry), those of us who have been going a long time appreciate Buffett's dedication to the Fest. Whether you are a fan of his music or not, in the years before big business got involved in the booking, his appearance brought a ton of people to Jazzfest. He came whenever they needed someone and presumably at a very low price. He loves the Fest and it has shown in many ways over the years.
        I have nothing against the guy, I just never got his connection to The Fest or why he plays over and over. He did have a music club and store here back in the 90s and had his own label which he signed The Iguanas to (and then ignored them). Again I take it that movie was shot back in 2019 so that's why no Nevilles but The Rads were there I imagine.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by BrettM View Post

          He's also shown doing Margaritaville, not sure what year that was from though.

          Again, no denying that Buffett is a friend of the Fest and an important part of its history (and probably a good guy as well). He just seems an unlijkely choice for the one artist to feature most prominently in a Fest film (and in the poster), considering all the absentees.
          Well Buffett is an Executive Producer of the movie, so I guess there's your answer.

          Comment


          • #50
            We saw the movie on Sunday, I enjoyed more than I thought I would, after reading all the criticisms. Thought they did a good job trying to do an overview of Fest in 90 minutes. That's hard to do. Yes, i would have skipped Pitbull & Katy Perry and instead shown 2nd lines in Economy Hall and the street party outside the Fairgrounds.

            Ending with Buffet covering the Stones was the stupidest thing about it. And I think leaving out Alison Miner's contribution was terrible, but I still think it's worth seeing if you love JF.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post
              We saw the movie on Sunday, I enjoyed more than I thought I would, after reading all the criticisms. Thought they did a good job trying to do an overview of Fest in 90 minutes. That's hard to do. Yes, i would have skipped Pitbull & Katy Perry and instead shown 2nd lines in Economy Hall and the street party outside the Fairgrounds.

              Ending with Buffet covering the Stones was the stupidest thing about it. And I think leaving out Alison Miner's contribution was terrible, but I still think it's worth seeing if you love JF.
              I agree with K of Chew.

              One other mild irritant - the idea that blacks costume as Indians as tribute to Native American help in escaping slavery. That may have been part of it, but as Michael Smith's great photo book shows, there was a long African tradition of costume and dance very similar to the M.G. Indian costume and dance - not necessarily feathers, but remarkably similar. They brought that tradition with them. This is a minor nit pick.

              On the whole, I enjoyed the movie and thought it captured the feel and spirit of the Fest.

              Comment


              • #52
                From Professor Longhair, Allen Toussaint, and the Meters to Pitbull, Katy Perry, and Warren Buffet. How times have changed!
                Last edited by Meters Fan; 2 weeks ago.

                Comment


                • #53
                  You guys are really harsh critics. I thought that it was really well done. There was a larger crowd than I expected and hopefully a few of them will make a trip next May

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    This is the only shnitzel you need. Smelly!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      So have those of you who have watched it on Amazon Prime paid the $20 to rent it, or is there some way to watch it for free?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Most of our usual krewe, plus my younger daughter, saw the film last week. I enjoyed the night out, dinner at a nearby brewery, and the company. The film is weak on what I consider the soul of Fest, but it's well-filmed, well-recorded, and featured snippets of a load of classic New Orleans performers, a nice segment on Mardi Gras Indians (though almost no content on their musical contributions), and nice segments with George Wein, who I found quite likeable. And if, like my daughter, you've never been, there is a lot there to tease the actual Fest. If you've been going since the original festival you might not remember the wonderment of that first weekend you attended - not knowing most of the non-headliner acts and just traipsing through the grounds, devouring sights, sounds and food. My daughter wants to go next year, so there's that.

                        My pal remarked a few days later that someone on the production staff must have mistaken Gregory Porter (born here in Sacramento and played Fest those 2 times) and George Porter, Jr. (played the first Fest and nearly every year since). An honest mistake.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lit View Post
                          So have those of you who have watched it on Amazon Prime paid the $20 to rent it, or is there some way to watch it for free?
                          Paid the $20 on Prime - the film only played for 1 night in a couple select theaters in our area and we were unable to make.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by FestJester View Post

                            Paid the $20 on Prime - the film only played for 1 night in a couple select theaters in our area and we were unable to make.
                            $20 on Prime? Yikes! I hope it was worth it for what some say is essentially a long ad for the fest.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                              $20 on Prime? Yikes! I hope it was worth it for what some say is essentially a long ad for the fest.
                              That's the standard charge for a new release that is still being shown in theaters.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
                                This is the only shnitzel you need. Smelly!

                                Saw both documentaries in the theater. I did enjoy Take Me to the River more. It shows more of the nuts and bolts of what makes New Orleans music unique and great, just as the Memphis one did. You also see interactions between the musicians that are often funny and moving, especially getting the Nevilles together.

                                The JF doc does function mostly as a glossy overview and infomercial, but was still enjoyable and worth seeing. I share the desire to dig into more archival footage, and hopefully we get that in some form down the road.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X