Who Ya Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Ya Like?

I've been to Fest a decent number of times, and I've certainly got my local favorites. Yet I'm always amazed that there are killer local bands and performers that those of us outside NOLA might not yet have found our way to- discovering them is one of the true pleasures of the fairgrounds. (I remember back in 2009 somebody told me not to miss the Midnite Disturbers. Okay, granted, they might be an exception, but I still have to sit down and rest when I think of that set.)

Who would you recommend this year that a non-resident might never have heard of? Either weekend, I do 'em both. Any genre, I like pretty much anything that's there.

Bonus points for Lagniappe or Heritage Stages. But don't hold back.

Well you should listen to (or watch) the cubes episode of Talking Threadheads where we cover a lottta this.

Comment

First act on Fais Do Do the first Friday is Sweet Cecilia who harmonize beautifully. Lulu and the Broadsides on Lagniappe Saturday afternoon should be great.

First act on Fais Do Do on Thursday is The Rayo Brothers, a can't miss act for me. Really talented and also going on an indefinite hiatus because the vocalist is moving to Oregon or somewhere. Definitely worth catching. Andrew Duhon on Lagniappe second Saturday is also a great one to catch.

Comment

Trumpet Mafia, 2:50 p.m. show on first Saturday, Jazz Tent. I have seen them several times, nothing like it, particularly at Jazz Fest. You also never know who is going to sit in with them, including Nicholas Payton and Maurice Brown. I've seen up to eight trumpet blowing at once, seemingly all over the place but the music totally makes sense. Crazy infusion of old songbook and funk and jazz. Absolutely love it, and it is one of my must-see sets.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
          Well you should listen to (or watch) the cubes episode of Talking Threadheads where we cover a lottta this.

Definitely. I found, and have been listening to that. I'm hearing some suggestions for folks I was already planning to see (and some conflicts that are just not conflicts for us ), and definitely some folks I'd not heard of. Very informational!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
            That's great to know! Thanks!

Comment

I'm not local but I am pretty much building my W2 around seeing Mahmoud Chouki @ Lagniappe stage on Sunday (I saw a video that Swag posted here and was blown away! Actually, I was particularly blown away by his keyboard player Omar. Does he play any side gigs?...) Also *super* looking forward to seeing the NO Nitecrawlers (2nd Saturday @ 1:30pm on Gentilly) as well. Loved their story on the Talking Threadheads YT vid!

Comment

Not from NO, neither myself nor recommendation, but Ranky Tanky on Thursday 5/05. I'm also looking forward to hearing Daniel Lanois first Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by RKar23 View Post
                  I'm not local but I am pretty much building my W2 around seeing Mahmoud Chouki @ Lagniappe stage on Sunday (I saw a video that Swag posted here and was blown away! Actually, I was particularly blown away by his keyboard player Omar. Does he play any side gigs?...) Also *super* looking forward to seeing the NO Nitecrawlers (2nd Saturday @ 1:30pm on Gentilly) as well. Loved their story on the Talking Threadheads YT vid!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Rossignoli7

Comment

While you rarely can go wrong spending a little time in The Gospel Tent, The Crownseekers are a definite can’t miss act

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                      While you rarely can go wrong spending a little time in The Gospel Tent, The Crownseekers are a definite can’t miss act
                      Shush.....we don't want anybody to know!
                      I agree with you completely.
                      Oh and with respect to keeping quiet that was just sort of kind of a joke. I think. Gospel Tent to me is at it's best when it's semi-full to full. It adds to the spirit but on the other side of that is when it is full to the max with just a bunch of nouveau's who don't have a genuine clue. Some are there just to get out of the sun or sit down for a break or perhaps just sit and drink a beer. I am not crazy about that type of crowd. I like it when those who understand and appreciate what the Rhodes Gospel Tent is and has been all about.

Comment

Originally posted by resmp View Post
                        I've been to Fest a decent number of times, and I've certainly got my local favorites. Yet I'm always amazed that there are killer local bands and performers that those of us outside NOLA might not yet have found our way to- discovering them is one of the true pleasures of the fairgrounds. (I remember back in 2009 somebody told me not to miss the Midnite Disturbers. Okay, granted, they might be an exception, but I still have to sit down and rest when I think of that set.)

Who would you recommend this year that a non-resident might never have heard of? Either weekend, I do 'em both. Any genre, I like pretty much anything that's there.

Bonus points for Lagniappe or Heritage Stages. But don't hold back.
                        For the bonus points atJ&H and Lagniappe, if you're not familiar, you should at least investigate:
                        79ers gang;
                        Lulu and the Broadsides;
                        Spencer Bohren remembered;
                        SOUL brass band;
                        the Rumble;
                        Tommy Malone;
                        Andrew Duhon;
                        Cimafunk.
                        Daniel Lanois playing Lagniappe, which i didn't realize. That should be quite the crowd. Also, it's been a while since i did it, but closing the day at lagniappe with the Klezmers used to be quite the raucous and rowdy affair.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

For the bonus points atJ&H and Lagniappe, if you're not familiar, you should at least investigate:
                          79ers gang;
                          Lulu and the Broadsides;
                          Spencer Bohren remembered;
                          SOUL brass band;
                          the Rumble;
                          Tommy Malone;
                          Andrew Duhon;
                          Cimafunk.
                          Daniel Lanois playing Lagniappe, which i didn't realize. That should be quite the crowd. Also, it's been a while since i did it, but closing the day at lagniappe with the Klezmers used to be quite the raucous and rowdy affair.
                          Great recommendations. I was planning to check out the 79ers gang, and, yeah, Daniel Lanois should be pretty wonderful. One of the most enjoyable sets I ever saw was the Klezmer All Stars closing Lagniappe. Thanks again for the picks.

Comment

Originally posted by resmp View Post

Great recommendations. I was planning to check out the 79ers gang, and, yeah, Daniel Lanois should be pretty wonderful. One of the most enjoyable sets I ever saw was the Klezmer All Stars closing Lagniappe. Thanks again for the picks.
                            Like I said, it's been a while, and it can be so hard sometimes to tell yourself "I should skip this big name giant act that i've loved on the radio for years (this year Stevie Nicks and Erykah Badu) and go see a gang of locals play eastern european folk funk in the paddock" at the end of the day, but when you're there it's always worth it.

Comment

I'll play. Here are 2 for each day:
                              • Fri - Shake 'Em Up Jazz Band - all female and all awesome & Jamie Lynn Vessels - Cranston Clements (NO Guitar Masters) is her lead guitarist
                              • Sat - No Guitar Masters - their version of Kashmir rivals the original & David Shaw - if his male backup singer is with him, that dude is worth the price of admission alone
                              • Sun - Kathy Taylor - one of the finest living gospel singers in the world & Spencer Bohren remembered - the stories alone should be worth it
                              • Thu - Libby Rae Watson & Hoodoo Men - I'll be seeing her for the first time & Bettye Lavette - Unrivaled voice and a true trailblazer
                              • Fri - Flow Tribe - such a fun way to start the day & Campbell Brothers - should be extra moving as this will the first time they have played since their brother passed
                              • Sat - Seratones - if just a little bit of the lead singer's energy rubs off on you, it'll last the whole day & Andrew Duhon - not sure if there is a performer with a warmer voice or personality & Mia Borders - she has a strong catalog of mostly under appreciated songs & Dottie Peoples - a true living legend
                              • Sun - Alex McMurray - perhaps the best songwriter in New Orleans & Tom McDermott & Aurora Nealand - Aurora makes everything better

Comment

Working...
                              X