Best way to get to the Fairgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get to the Fairgrounds

I need input from you experienced folks on the best way for a party of 6 to get to the Fest from the French Quarter. I looked at the shuttle, but we like to arrive early to get a good spot near the stage. Anyone know approximately what an Uber would cost with surge pricing?

Blue bikes. It will take 15 minutes.

Comment

It depends how early. If you leave before 10 am, surges should be minimal, and taxis should be available as well.

http://jazzfest.swagland.com/transport.html
      Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Back in our first Fesst days, we would catch a bus (Esplanade?) on Rampart near Esplanade that runs up Esplanade by the Fairgrounds. Get off at Lopez St, walk northish, away from Esplanade, to Ponce de Leon, where a street party will be i progress at Liuzza's(By The Track). Get a Bloody Mary. The Sauvage entrance to the Fairgrounds is 2-3 blocks away, follow the crowd. Your life may never be the same!

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
            Back in our first Fesst days, we would catch a bus (Esplanade?) on Rampart near Esplanade that runs up Esplanade by the Fairgrounds. Get off at Lopez St, walk northish, away from Esplanade, to Ponce de Leon, where a street party will be i progress at Liuzza's(By The Track). Get a Bloody Mary. The Sauvage entrance to the Fairgrounds is 2-3 blocks away, follow the crowd. Your life may never be the same!
            The 91 bus (Jackson-Esplanade Walmart Via Art Museum) It does get packed unless you grab it early in the day.

https://www.norta.com/RTA/media/RTAB...s/route_91.pdf

Comment

The 91 leads to fun... that's what I say (there are two routes at the same stop by my house, that's how I remember to catch the correct one).

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                This is always plan B for us. Plan A is the free shuttle from our favorite bar, bloody in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by cp_deb View Post

This is always plan B for us. Plan A is the free shuttle from our favorite bar, bloody in hand.
                  Is your favorite bar open & doing it this year? Couldn't find info on their Facebook page (we took the shuttle last fest)

Comment

The other thing I now recall about that bus is that if you're catching it down by Canal you board on the "north" (lake)side of Rampart, with the bus headed toward Canal, after which it loops around via Basin and heads back down Rampart toward Esplanade. Maybe that doesn't happen anymore.

Comment

After the Hard Rock collapsed, several bus routes were affected, and vestiges of those changes are still in place. The normal route for the 91 heading from downtown towards Esplanade is now on Loyola past Duncan Plaza and across Canal onto Basin St. There's a stop at Loyola/Basin/Elk Place before it crosses Canal. It stays on Basin, right onto Conti, then left onto Rampart. There are no scheduled stops after Canal St until Rampart & St Ann, across from the Armstrong Park Arch, though there are route 88 stops at Basin/Bienville and Conti/Rampart that some drivers may stop at. The next stop after St Ann is on Esplanade at Rampart. Whether the extra fest 91 buses follow this same route remains to be seen, but probably so.

Coming back from fest, after the Rampart/St Ann stop, the bus sometimes goes left on St Peter to Basin, stopping at Basin/St Louis, then Basin/Bienville, then Canal St. Other times it stays on Rampart a couple of blocks longer, stopping at Rampart/Conti before taking Bienville up to Basin St, and then on towards Canal.

Comment

Originally posted by Janielin View Post
                        I need input from you experienced folks on the best way for a party of 6 to get to the Fest from the French Quarter. I looked at the shuttle, but we like to arrive early to get a good spot near the stage. Anyone know approximately what an Uber would cost with surge pricing?
                        Well, the cheapest and simplest way is to walk--should take no more than 45 minutes at a comfortable pace.

Comment

I remember catching that bus at Esplanade and Rampart but it was sometimes full by the time it got there. It’s a 3 mile walk down Esplanade which is how I got there the last few times I went not a bad walk at all-I’m thinking that’s my plan but did someone say there are blue bikes? Easy enough to find one around the quarter? I’m staying around Burgundy and Dumaine

Comment

Originally posted by bellaluna View Post
                            I remember catching that bus at Esplanade and Rampart but it was sometimes full by the time it got there. It’s a 3 mile walk down Esplanade which is how I got there the last few times I went not a bad walk at all-I’m thinking that’s my plan but did someone say there are blue bikes? Easy enough to find one around the quarter? I’m staying around Burgundy and Dumaine
                            Generally yes, but it can be hit or miss. I just got an email from Blue Bikes saying
                            The past couple of weeks have been difficult with supply chain issues negatively impacting the availability of Blue Bikes.

The good news is that spare parts have started to arrive and more are on the way! Our mechanics team has also begun installing new locks on every vehicle in the fleet to ensure that our Blue Bikes are safe and secured.

Through all of this, you've continued to support the vision of a locally controlled bikeshare program that electrifies the future of transportation in New Orleans.

For that, our team wants to say thank you by extending your membership by 30 days at no cost. You'll be able to ride for up to 60 minutes free per day for an extra month.
                            At the moment - 5 am nola time - there are 8 available blue bikes in the whole French Quarter, including one each at the hubs at Rampart/St Ann and Rampart/Esplanade. In general, I'd expect to find bikes in available before noon on fest days; later than that they may all be up at the Fairgrounds already. But you can always check the app for availability/locations. If you can get a bike, great, if not, you have the bus or cab as a backup.

Comment

As I set having a coffee, I can glance at a “Blue Bike”, bike rack, designed for 30 bikes. Empty. Zero. Nada. No bikes

Comment

Working...
                              X