Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lit View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Just confirming that someone made this obligatory response. Carry on. Also, don't go to Parkview (across bridge from cabrini) to park ---- it's a disaster area with streets all ripped up on Wilson and Harding, so the residents are all parked on Delgado and Dumaine, so there's no street parking for ANY body.......

Comment

Waiting for the bus to fest on the corner of Esplanade & Rampart, I have more often than not gotten a free ride from someone driving by and headed to fest. With a group of 8, you might try to get to know a cab or uber driver pre-fest, coming in from the airport elsewhere around the city. Many or most of them will give you a card and take direct calls to schedule rides.

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Is your favorite bar open & doing it this year? Couldn't find info on their Facebook page (we took the shuttle last fest)
        When we get to NOLA that will be our first reconnaissance trip to find out. We're in Lafayette right now.

Comment

NO BIKES ?? !!! ??? !! ?? oh boy

Comment

Since 2010 we've been using J & B Transportation. James Andrews and his team are fantastic! We get picked up at our hotel at our requested time. Drop off at the fest is at the pink house, corner of Gentilly and Gayoso. Same location for being picked up after the fest. If I recall, in 2019 for the fest I want to say it was at least $5 each way? Not sure if that will be the same this year.

Regardless of the cost, we find value in the fact that we know, for sure, we have a guaranteed ride to and from the fest, no issues. We will use James each day of the fest, so pre-arranging your pickup time is helpful for him so he can schedule all pickups. We also use him to and from the airport as well. And on occasion if we have dinner reservations that are across town.

Here is his info if you are interested.

Feel free to tell him Brian from Chicago provided the info.

https://www.facebook.com/BJtransportationNO

(504) 453-4592

[email protected]

bjtransportation.com

Comment

Originally posted by BB Chgo View Post
              James Andrews and his team are fantastic!
              Presumably not James "Twelve" Andrews the trumpet player and Shorty's brother? Years ago, even before Uber, when I first noticed how much jazz festers worshipped local musicians I dreamt up a plan where you could hire your favorite musician to drive you around. And of course you would be hiring their personality quirks as well. So Joe Cabral would pick you up in his old hot-rod and take detours to all his favorite mid-century modern houses, Kermit would have his pickup pulling his bbq rig while smoking this and drinking that, Johnny V would be in his van philosophizing, Jonathan Freilich would be pontificating, and you would have to drive James Andrews yourself because back in the day I remember him always trying to cadge rides.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

Presumably not James "Twelve" Andrews the trumpet player and Shorty's brother? Years ago, even before Uber, when I first noticed how much jazz festers worshipped local musicians I dreamt up a plan where you could hire your favorite musician to drive you around. And of course you would be hiring their personality quirks as well. So Joe Cabral would pick you up in his old hot-rod and take detours to all his favorite mid-century modern houses, Kermit would have his pickup pulling his bbq rig while smoking this and drinking that, Johnny V would be in his van philosophizing, Jonathan Freilich would be pontificating, and you would have to drive James Andrews yourself because back in the day I remember him always trying to cadge rides.
                Brilliant!

Comment

[QUOTE=belyin;n869493]

Presumably not James "Twelve" Andrews the trumpet player and Shorty's brother?

[QUOTE=belyin;n869493]

Great idea!!!

And no, not the same James Andrews. I was wondering how long it would be until there was some sort of reference or question, LOL!!

Comment

New Orleans bluesman Mem Shannon used to drive a cab as his day job.

He would sometimes play a gig, walk out back, get in his cab, drive to the front of the club, and pick up some very surprised music fans.
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

On one of his early records there are sound bites recorded in his cab as he talks with his passengers. One hilarious bit is the load of business men/conventioneers/bros who want to go to "the dick-tie store"; that's enough to give you the blues methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                        On one of his early records there are sound bites recorded in his cab as he talks with his passengers. One hilarious bit is the load of business men/conventioneers/bros who want to go to "the dick-tie store"; that's enough to give you the blues methinks.
                        Mark Bingham, that record’s producer, spent hours masking the voices to satisfy the label’s lawyers who feared they would be sued by the conventioneers—as unlikely that they would ever know about it or be identified in the manifest inanity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Is your favorite bar open & doing it this year? Couldn't find info on their Facebook page (we took the shuttle last fest)
                          Favorite bar is now charging $10 a head for the shuttle. There’s no free ride anymore.

Comment

When we used to stay in the FQ, we would get a shuttle from Canal. It was a school bus. It looks like they still have it. You can get roundtrip tickets or weekend passes. It worked out great for us and was easy to get back to the FQ after fest. We never had to wait super long for the shuttle.

https://www.graylineneworleans.com/a...z-fest-express

Comment

Working...
                            X