No announcement yet.

Bleachers at Festival Stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding bleacher changes, the side to side flip at Fais Do Do was very welcome: the front side passage toward Gentilly was much more open, late afternoon sun at the viewers' backs instead of in their faces, and the Rev would have had room for some Zydeco dancing even; it was happening at Beausoleil (Cajun too) on Sunday! Now, bring back the painted passages, as some folks will plunk down their chairs obliviously. On a related note, aisle crowd management was abysmal at Blues and CFWs were intruding on the Newport All Stars set in the Jazz tent; an usher joining in with them and all laughing at me when I complained. Proud barbarians....
    P.S. Chair-line enforcement was non-existent at Congo, and many camped in the entry points along the market row. The staff seemed to have given up everywhere by second Sunday.
    Last edited by fesstgeek; 05-11-2022, 07:43 AM. Reason: Fixing boo-boos.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

$$$$
      Were you there? Everything around that area costs $$ to visit. No free rides as someone said in another thread. Congo Square smaller but still free. I am convinced that is because of minority sensitivities and fearful of risks of being labeled as ....name your poison.

I am also of the opinion, but admittedly without inside knowledge, that some of the reason that all food and drink products prices rose so significantly is not solely a result of supply issues but even more so, a result of higher costs levied by Fest management just to set up.
      prices of EVERYTHING from food, lodging, late night tickets, drinks, etc was up significantly this year

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
        Regarding bleacher changes, the side to side flip at Fais Do Do was very welcome: the front side passage toward Gentilly was much more open, late afternoon sun at the viewers' backs instead of in their faces, and the Rev would have had room for some Zydeco dancing even; it was happening at Beausoleil (Cajun too) Sunday! Now, bring back the painted passages, as some folks will plunk down there chairs obliviously. On a related note, aisle crowd management was abysmalat Blues and CFWs were intruding on the Newport All Stars set, with an usher joining in with them and all laughing at me when I complained. Proud barbarians....
        Agree

Crowd management in the Blues tent was a bloody joke.

As a person who has been involved with big events for decades, I firmly believe that that a large percentage of the paid staff in the Blues Tent should not be invited back as they were pathetic and certainly did not earn their keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Agree

Crowd management in the Blues tent was a bloody joke.

As a person who has been involved with big events for decades, I firmly believe that that a large percentage of the paid staff in the Blues Tent should not be invited back as they were pathetic and certainly did not earn their keep.
          I went 4 days, spent maybe 5 minutes in the Blues Tent. Just not into the sound, the seating or those stupid misters. It was so much better when they had The HOB Stage which I believe was where the Jazz & Heritage Stage is now. I love Jazz and spent little time in that tent either.

Comment

$$$$
            Were you there? Everything around that area costs $$ to visit. No free rides as someone said in another thread. Congo Square smaller but still free. I am convinced that is because of minority sensitivities and fearful of risks of being labeled as ....name your poison.

I am also of the opinion, but admittedly without inside knowledge, that some of the reason that all food and drink products prices rose so significantly is not solely a result of supply issues but even more so, a result of higher costs levied by Fest management just to set up.
            Everything around that area costs $$ to visit? Huh? Congo Square smaller but still free? What exactly are you trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Everything around that area costs $$ to visit? Huh? Congo Square smaller but still free? What exactly are you trying to say?
              As the primary illustration of what I am referencing I submit the disappearance of my favorite "free" stands, the ones in front of the paddocks adjacent to the track and facing the "festival" stage and the sudden appearance of the Miller beer theme park/country club. A "pay-to-play' mentality is becoming more and more the norm. IMO.

Comment

$$$$
                Were you there? Everything around that area costs $$ to visit. No free rides as someone said in another thread.
                Yes I was there and it was me who said there's no free rides in another thread. But I see a huge difference between not chauffeuring me somewhere for free vs no longer providing a place to sit down at a festival that costs upwards of $75 per day. Pay to play, indeed.

Comment

As the primary illustration of what I am referencing I submit the disappearance of my favorite "free" stands, the ones in front of the paddocks adjacent to the track and facing the "festival" stage and the sudden appearance of the Miller beer theme park/country club. A "pay-to-play' mentality is becoming more and more the norm. IMO.
                  The Miller Lite VIP tent has been there for several years, BTW. I think things just got re-arranged a bit which made it more prominent. I loved the green bleachers at the large stage, and would love to know why the Fest folks removed them.

Comment

Seems like the bleachers were originally added the year after the Elton John crowd to block the view from the track so people wouldn't set up chairs and block that walkway. So maybe they predicted smaller crowds and decided to save a few dollars.

Comment

The absence of the bleachers at the Festival stage is a bit puzzling. Perhaps the lack of a stage sponsor had something to do with it? Even with the increase in prices of every aspect of being there and a fair number of people who are unwilling to risk exposure to the virus, the attendance was 475K. I would hope to see those bleachers back next year.

Comment

I forgot that they used to even be there. Never sat up there. Way too far from the stage. They did create a little shade on the track.

Comment

I thought the bleachers were great, to prevent the track filling with chairs while adding several thousand to the Fess-tival stage capacity, My main complaint about them was that they didn't also add them to Gentilly.

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                            I thought the bleachers were great, to prevent the track filling with chairs while adding several thousand to the Fess-tival stage capacity, My main complaint about them was that they didn't also add them to Gentilly.

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I went 4 days, spent maybe 5 minutes in the Blues Tent. Just not into the sound, the seating or those stupid misters. It was so much better when they had The HOB Stage which I believe was where the Jazz & Heritage Stage is now. I love Jazz and spent little time in that tent either.
                              Not that I love the Blues Tent, but our regular spot, standing at the very back not far from the sound desk normally got at least half decent sound and a bit of a cooling breeze.

And we were lucky enough to see and hear a variety of lots of good stuff including.

Bambino, Eric Lindell with his big band, Deacon John, Sonny Landreth, sound was great. Kenny Neal with a 5 piece horn section and Mavis Staples which was a tremendous show.

My wife and other locals tell me how much they miss the old Blues Stage, but sadly it is gone.

So we just do what you got to do.

Comment

Pretty fun saying"my wife"? Congratulations Gards!!

Comment

Working...
                                X