Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best thing you saw on Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dumb ass moment yesterday.... I went into the Grandstand after the LBR to chill and use the facilities. (I don't need to tell the veterans that is a good place to refresh for a bit.) I was in line about to go in the Men's Room when I recognized the voice of the woman doing the cooking demo. "That's Susan Spicer!", I blurted out. The guy behind me said, "Yup, my good friend." I turned and looked and he had a Brigtsen's logo on his apron. I asked, "Oh, do you work at Brigtsen's?" just before I realized it was Frank Brigtsen. Duh...

He told me he and Susan usually do a demo back to back. It really took me back because I remember going in there the first time I came to Jazz Fest in 1990 and being highly impressed with Susan who was doing one that day, too. I think I have had a crush on her ever since... And the Eggplant Tapanade she made was fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

The synth parts in things like "love Reign O'er Me' hint at an orchestra so I thought it would work well. "Eminence Front" made good use of them, as well. And it was nice to actually hear the violin on the outro of "Baba O'Riley" instead of the harp that Roger used to play in that. Their touring violinist nailed it.
      I don't know for a fact, but I think all the musicians were local hires. I know violinist Matt Rhody was in that number; at the Valparaiso Men's Chorus show at the Saturn Bar Thursday night, he threw in a little Baba O'Riley into a solo.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I don't know for a fact, but I think all the musicians were local hires. I know violinist Matt Rhody was in that number; at the Valparaiso Men's Chorus show at the Saturn Bar Thursday night, he threw in a little Baba O'Riley into a solo.
        I think the featured violinist and cello player Pete introduced are part of the touring band but the rest were probably locals unless a ringer or two is sprinkled in. Matt was definitely there. His Cottonmouth King buddy Robert Snow posted an awesome pic on FB from Matt's vantage point on stage.

He also was part of the string section for the "Songs In The Key Of Life' show Stevie did at the Smoothie King Center several years ago. He was featured on the big video screen that night as he got a solo.
        Last edited by chopitulas; 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I think the featured violinist and cello player Pete introduced are part of the touring band
          That makes sense, especially if they are using orchestras on the whole tour.

Comment

Sunshine

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
              Sunshine
              The sun was just brutal yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

So glad I ventured into the Grandstand after seeing you and the LBR. I was fine getting out of it for a bit and getting a lagniappe from Susan Spicer. My next move was to the Jazz Tent (well, there was a cochon on the way...) to keep out of it until the closer. It was pretty steamy, all right.

I would think a little mud would be a fair trade off for cooler temps today.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

It was worse today but both pretty typical Fest days.

Comment

Sun was brutal both yesterday and today.

Comment

Clearly it has become obvious that not all parties here were at Liuzzas at 9 am this morning trying to enjoy adult beverages during the thunder, lightning and rain.

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post
                        If you’re talking about all day this https://youtu.be/aE2YmlEy9VQ
                        Yes indeed! That was. THE BEST! Worth leaving The Who mid set for.

Comment

I was at that show and it was one of my highlight of the day. I remember when JC and AM played the patry in 2014.

Comment

The sun was hot but anyone who has been going for years knows it can get be worse. I've been there when it's in the mid 90s and even more humid.
                            Last edited by jjazznj; 05-02-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Bonerama, Lakou Mizik, Cookers and The Who.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                                he sun was hot but anyone who has been going for years knows it can get be worse. I've been there when it's in the mid 90s and even more humid.
                                Yep, it was hit bit tolerable for me personally. I've definitely been out there in years past when it was so brutal I wasn't able to really enjoy myself. That didn't happen this past weekend although I could tell some people were struggling.

Comment

Working...
                                X