Chair etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair etiquette

What's the rule on leaving chairs setup and unattended all day and expecting your spot to be left open?

I showed up about 30 min before Galactic started. Was by myself and found an empty spot about halfway from the stage to the stands. There were 3 empty folding chairs with no other belongs where I was standing. I watched all of Galactic and then less than 5 min before the who came on a lady who I will call Karen showed up and immediately got close and said "you need to leave. This is my spot" I kind of laughed and she continued about how there weren't enough chairs for me to be there. Told her it's all good, not to worry, we will he standing so no need for chairs.

She was furious. Didn't Put me in a bad mood because I was drinking and vibing , but she was fuming. I stood my ground and she reluctantly sat beside me. As soon as the band started playing, everyone in the vicinity stood up for the rest of the show and the chairs were just getting in the way.

So, my question is, what is proper etiquette? Can one simply put a chair in a high demand place, leave it empty and show up right before headliner and expect to still "own" that spot?
    Last edited by RoosterTailTommy; 05-02-2022, 09:32 AM.

I agree that's bullshit. Maybe if one person had stayed and was in a chair...people do have to leave to get food, liquids or to pee. But to leave them unattended for that long is not fair. Those people are occupying a space somewhere else and you don't really have the right to own two places at the same time. Everyone has paid the same amount to get in.

At least they have banned chairs (or even sitting) from the soundboard forward. And I understand wanting to claim a spot for a headliner. It is what I do for someone like Springsteen...my girlfriend and I get there early enough to spread our small blanket out. But we stay there and one goes out on any necessary forays.

Maybe it would be OK way in the back where there might be more room. But abandoning your chairs for hours in prime real estate and expectng that spot to be there for you hours later is a bridge too far.

Comment

ehhhhh.....she was in the wrong for being unkind. But I think its reasonable to set up a spot and leave for the day with the expectation that your possessions will be left undisturbed. However, if I returned to my spot and someone else was hanging around enjoying the music, I'd say hey and let them know that my crew was returning to our things. It can all be managed well by being polite.

Edit to add I didn't realize it was prime real estate. If I do this, I'm set up pretty far back and out of the competitive sought after space.

Comment

Edited to add "no" before belongings. There were no other items. Just 3 cheap empty chairs.

Comment

Bottom line: she’s a jerk and you handled it like a gentleman.

Comment

SRO

I stay away away from chairs

Comment

They tried but gave up on policing people sitting (some laying down), some in chairs in the standing area of The Festival Stage. Funny thing is most sitting were young people. I'm 63 and barely sit at The Fest.

Comment

"...who I will call Karen" LOL

Comment

I can def say what isn't good chair etiquette -- some guy in the middle of the tribute to Ellis Marsalis took out his new Jazz Fest portable chair, set it up, and placed it in the 2nd row, next to the permanent row of chairs -- right in front of the patrons who were sitting on the floor watching. He was super angry when the guard (finally) told him he couldn't have his chair there.

In your case, I dont think you can hold the airspace around chairs once the headliner starts. We would all love to, but just no. If you want to do that, you need to place your chair in the great beyond, not prime space.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                    They tried but gave up on policing people sitting (some laying down), some in chairs in the standing area of The Festival Stage. Funny thing is most sitting were young people. I'm 63 and barely sit at The Fest.
                    Don't really get the "no sitting" thing, especially on the fringes. We were at Festival-nee-Acura and off to the stage left side by the track. Wanted to just sit on the grass in a wide open area, but were told no. Not chairs. Just sit on the grass. Don't get the rationale in this situation.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by brpfest View Post

Don't really get the "no sitting" thing, especially on the fringes. We were at Festival-nee-Acura and off to the stage left side by the track. Wanted to just sit on the grass in a wide open area, but were told no. Not chairs. Just sit on the grass. Don't get the rationale in this situation.

Cheers.
                      I see nothing wrong with sitting up on the side but laying down in the middle, closer to the front with a bunch of your friends is just lame as is sitting in chairs up front. It just takes up way too much space and makes it hard to cut through. I saw these idiots laying down getting mad that people were stepping over them or touching them. Yeah, no one can see you, try getting up!

Comment

The thing to do with unattended chair camps is to protect that exposed fabric from the elements! Have a seat for a bit, those folks likely won't be back for whatever act is on, and I've yet to see a No Trespassing sign....

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I see nothing wrong with sitting up on the side but laying down in the middle, closer to the front with a bunch of your friends is just lame as is sitting in chairs up front. It just takes up way too much space and makes it hard to cut through. I saw these idiots laying down getting mad that people were stepping over them or touching them. Yeah, no one can see you, try getting up!
                          Exactly. And we like to hang out far stage left, just in from the track and in front of the ditch. Rarely many people there and wide-open spaces. But even there we've been rousted from sitting or lying down to chill with the music.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                            The thing to do with unattended chair camps is to protect that exposed fabric from the elements! Have a seat for a bit, those folks likely won't be back for whatever act is on, and I've yet to see a No Trespassing sign....
                            We don't normally leave our chairs totally unattended but we have a few times. To be clear, these are never in "prime" spots.
                            I absolutely do not care if people sit in them while we are on a food/bathroom run. We will occasionally offer a seat if we are standing for a while.

One of my friends told me he was admonished for sitting in an empty chair last weekend. Not by the chair's owner. That seems very weird. I'm considering making signs to leave in our chairs. "Feel free to sit until we come back." I wouldn't want some rando defending my chair.and being a jerk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyPlace View Post

We don't normally leave our chairs totally unattended but we have a few times. To be clear, these are never in "prime" spots.
                              I absolutely do not care if people sit in them while we are on a food/bathroom run. We will occasionally offer a seat if we are standing for a while.

One of my friends told me he was admonished for sitting in an empty chair last weekend. Not by the chair's owner. That seems very weird. I'm considering making signs to leave in our chairs. "Feel free to sit until we come back." I wouldn't want some rando defending my chair.and being a jerk about it.
                              For years Funkkjunkie has clipped a sign to her chair inviting folk to sit while she’s off dancing.

I have no choice but to be a chair person. Some of my most fun times have been with random people and empty chairs…sometimes ours and sometimes theirs, but never in prime R/E. Being happy or being a jerk is a choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X