Jon Cleary and The AMG and the NMAs at the HOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Cleary and The AMG and the NMAs at the HOB

The double bill at the House Of Blues was incredible last night. Two headliner level acts for the price of one from 9 to 1 AM. Cleary had a big band with a guitarist (Jon said it was the guy's 2nd gig,) Nigel Hall, Pedro Segundo on percussion and the two horn players. I saw Jon a couple weeks ago at the Tulane Quad and it was a much smaller band. He brought out all the guns for his Jazz Fest HOB show and they totally kicked ass for an hour and 1/2.

A short turnover and then 2 hours of Luther Dickinson also playing his ass off with his brother and the North Mississippi Allstars. The first song featured a 10 minute guitar workout so it was clear Luther came to play. He continued to play like that for the rest of the show, really digging in deep. I love those guys.

I was so glad I went to this, maybe the best Jazz Fest show I've ever seen at the House Of Blues. It was fantastic.

What a great month or so it has been around here! Wow...

I was told the guitarist is named Xavier Lynn and he is 22 and from Atlanta. Jon is working on getting him to move to NOLA. Very skillful and tasty player especially at that age.

Comment

How packed was the venue?

Comment

Also, know anything about this, Chop?
        https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...ule-leave-hisb

Comment

Big D doesn’t play with Jon anymore?

Comment

We had a whole backstory about it being Jon’s recently-discovered son (a la David Crosby) from a tour layover. Good to know it’s a legit found-musician story. It always makes me feel like a slacker when an acknowledged expert on one instrument blows you away on another axe.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post
              How packed was the venue?
              Not jammed at all. I thought no one was coming at first but it started later than I expected to let the Festers filter in. You could get to any spot you wanted. So much better than packed HOB shows that can be very uncomfortable. It truly was one of the best nights I've ever had in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Octane808 View Post
                Big D doesn’t play with Jon anymore?
                Big D has been gone for several years now. I did see him play with Jon last October or so at a free thing in City Park but that is a rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
                  We had a whole backstory about it being Jon’s recently-discovered son (a la David Crosby) from a tour layover. Good to know it’s a legit found-musician story. It always makes me feel like a slacker when an acknowledged expert on one instrument blows you away on another axe.
                  Jon did start on guitar so there is that. From last night:

image_1902.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post
                    Also, know anything about this, Chop?
                    https://www.jazzfestforum.com/forum/...ule-leave-hisb
                    Nothing beyond what has been reported, that he had a serious back injury and other health issues. I did see him and chat a couple of times during FQF and he has done a couple of gigs of late.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Big D has been gone for several years now. I did see him play with Jon last October or so at a free thing in City Park but that is a rarity.
                      Big D was with him at the Broadside first weekend:

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Big D was with him at the Broadside
                        Always nice when he does play with Jon. What a great guitarist that guy is. His solos are things of beauty.
                        Last edited by chopitulas; 05-09-2022, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

Always nice when he does play with Jon. What a great guitarist that guy is. His solos are things of beauty.
                          I heard Jon King Cleary interviewed on OZ a little while back, to promote the gig at the Broadside, and I think he that he said that Large D resides some were in Texas these days.
                          And that he was delighted to have him and other guests that evening.

Ear Robert was at the Broadside Gig and told me that it was very good.

Comment

Pretty sure he lives in Florida and plays with Boukou groove

Comment

I went to the Saturday gig at the Broadside and Big D was there and in fine form. I enjoyed so much that I decided to go see Boukou Groove the following night at the Maple Leaf. Unfortunately Big D wasn’t there. I spoke to Donny after the gig and he said Big D had a foot issue that needed a doctor’s attention. Here’s to his speedy recovery. His guitar sounded as good as ever at the Broadside.

Comment

Working...
                              X