Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swag View Post
    Several bands I'd seen before delivered as expected, but the surprise highlight at the Fairgrounds for me - one I hadn't seen and knew little about - was Ranky Tanky.
    Terrible name, great band. steeleye turned me on to them.

Comment

Best for me, First Weekend: Bombino, Trumpet Mafia, The Cookers, The Uptown Jazz Orchestra, Alexey Marti, Aurora Nealand's The Monocle, Terence Blanchard, Jamil Sharif

Second Weekend: Herlin Riley, Antonio Sanchez (such great music and such poor attendance), Newport All Stars, Mahmoud Chouki, Tom McDermott and Aurora Nealand, Nicholas Payton

Out of Fest: Jeff Parker; Makaya McCraven Quartet at Hotel St. Vincent.
      Last edited by kh1958; 05-10-2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I forgot about Mayaya McCraven Quartet at the St. Vincent--a wonderful set. I heard great things about Ranky Tanky's set. The name seems unfortunately close to "rinky dinky," but Google says it means "make it funky" in the Gullah language.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I was wondering why Eric Heigle was missing and sorta assumed it was Covid or that he, being a guy with a lot of fingers in the pie as a recording engineer, had some other obligation. I wonder if he was with Arcade Fire on SNL this last weekend. There were a lot of people on stage and I didn't notice him if he was but he may have been.

St. Vincent has been awesomely re-done. Didn't know they ever had music. Don't snooze on the Elizabeth St. Cafe boulangerie on the premises. Their pastries are awesome, the almond croissant in particular. And they have a 3 - 6 PM Happy Hour M-F where appetizers and Bahn Mi's are 1/2 price making them like 5/6 bucks. I had a great meal there on my birthday and it was really cheap for what you get. The Bahn Mi's use baguettes they make that are fantastic.
          Eric has been with them at all of their gigs since they came back including the two that I saw here in town recently. He plays keys, guitar and some percussion. He has worked with them before doing production work.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Eric has been with them at all of their gigs since they came back including the two that I saw here in town recently. He plays keys, guitar and some percussion. He has worked with them before doing production work.
            I saw them three times in the last month or so, too...Lafayette Square, FQF and Jazz Fest (all of which were free for me, which was great. I love that band.) He has been with them for as long as I have been hip to the LBR going back before the pandemic but I guess an offer to tour with Arcade Fire was a good thing for him. Ken Swartz and I did some video work at his Parlor Studios that I believe he mixed the sound for. I think he recently sold or got out of that operation. Talented guy. They can carry on without him if he has actually left the band. He was kinda the utility man.

Comment

Only went Sunday and spent most of day in Grandstand trying to keep Stacey from overheating. Saw a bit of Cowsills and most of Buddy Guy, who sounded great for 85.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I saw them three times in the last month or so, too...Lafayette Square, FQF and Jazz Fest (all of which were free for me, which was great. I love that band.) He has been with them for as long as I have been hip to the LBR going back before the pandemic but I guess an offer to tour with Arcade Fire was a good thing for him. Ken Swartz and I did some video work at his Parlor Studios that I believe he mixed the sound for. I think he recently sold or got out of that operation. Talented guy. They can carry on without him if he has actually left the band. He was kinda the utility man.
                I meant he was at the two Arcade Fire gigs I was at. I did see LBR at FQF and he was there.

Comment

From Wknd2:

HIGHLIGHTS
                  - Mahmoud Chouki. The act I most wanted to see and was not disappointed. Indeed a joyful performance, appreciative audience. Hopefully will be in Jazz Tent (mid-day) next year.
                  - The Campbell Brothers. One of those JazzFest happy accidents in that my wife wanted to spend some time in the Folklife Village so I wandered over to the Fais Do Do stage. The Campbell Brothers blew me away! (Probably my vote for best set that I witnessed).
                  - Boz Scaggs. Fave BNA performance. (And yes, *loved* "Loan Me a Dime"!)
                  - Newport All Stars.

LOWLIGHTS
                  - Rickie Lee Jones. After two and half songs, had to bail. I really liked her debut album and was hoping she would play "Danny's All Star Joint" (seemed like a natural opening song) but I just thought she was rather boring.
                  - Whoever thought it was a good idea to put Norah Jones in the Jazz Tent. I don't know if the promoters bother to look at how many "scheduled" get clicked on in the app but other than Stevie Nicks, Norah Jones had just about as many clicks as The Who, RHCP, Kool and the Gang, etc. (all of whom were playing on main stages). Could have been easy (and probably saved a lot of $$$) by putting her on the Gentilly Stage (after Willie Nelson cancelled) and just found some good local talent to close the Jazz Tent on Sunday. Seriously, how many people bought a one day pass to see the Zac Brown Band?...

FOOD
                  Already raved about Restaurant R'evolution but another good place I would highly recommend is Pine and Palm on Rampart (on the edge of the FQ). Small plates, cool service, great vibe. And opened late (like until 1am) on weekends so if you are going to a show in the FQ or at the Saenger, I think it is worth checking out.

Until next year...
                  Last edited by RKar23; 05-11-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

The entire show. Nels was behind me (the musicians were in a giant circle) so I only turned occasionally, when the guitar got the lead. The visuals of that location were amazing. Nels behind me, Mars directly in front of me, jason marsalis up in a tree it seemed, James Branden Lewis across the dance circle from me..... It was something like 18 musicians plus about a half dozen dancers doing a 75 minute piece composed specifically to be played at the music box village. Amazing.
                    Also.... in terms of hankandlee, you can call me stamper if it's easier.

Thanks for the report and the correct shorthand Handle : )

Comment

Originally posted by RKar23 View Post
                      From Wknd2:

HIGHLIGHTS
                      - The Campbell Brothers. One of those JazzFest happy accidents in that my wife wanted to spend some time in the Folklife Village so I wandered over to the Fais Do Do stage. The Campbell Brothers blew me away! (Probably my vote for best set that I witnessed).
                      My guitar player brother and I were wandering a bit, think it was right after Sonny Landreth maybe? We caught the last five minutes of Cimafunk, but were there too late to catch the real wave of it, so once it ended we went next door to Fais Do Do. So while I was thrilled seeing Boyfriend and others, my brother would probably report Campbell Bros as his favorite "unknown to me but i LOVED them" act

Comment

My top 5:
                        The Who, Campbell Brothers, Ranky Tanky, Rory Block, and Bombino.

Happy to see so many commenting on the Campbells, who are consistently great and always a must see for me. Ranky opened with their wonderful song, “Freedom,” my favorite single song performance. Rory is a master of gut bucket blues and Bombino never disappoints. Glad you enjoy Ranky, Lit.

The funniest moment occurred during The Who’s set. Pete was particularly jocular all day and early in the set, after saying his dad was a big fan of NO and Sidney Bichet, he mentioned that he was feeling really good. Daltrey said something I couldn’t exactly hear but maybe he wasn’t feeling as well. Pete, in an aside to the audience, said “wait till he hears what we’re being paid, he’ll feel better.”

Comment

Top three that jump right out at me are Daniel Lanois at fest, Mars Williams at Music Box, and medeski Martin singleton Skerik logic at oej.

The best of the rest in chronological order:

Shannon Powell FQF
                          Andre Bohren and Electric Yat FQF
                          Suns Pelicans Game 4
                          Panorama Jazz Band dba
                          Brad Walker Quartet Chickie Wah Wah
                          Mononeon Blue Nile
                          DakhaBrakha Fest
                          Alvin Ford Jr Maple Leaf
                          Makaya McCraven Hotel St Vincent
                          John Boutte dba
                          Johnny V dba
                          Johnny v zony mash
                          Gillet cambre zerang carnival lounge
                          Yussef dayes oej
                          Antonio Sanchez fest
                          Tank tips
                          Dinner party late n1 oej
                          Midnight disturbers fest
                          Dr Michael white fest
                          Badu fest
                          Mahmoud chouki fest
                          Aurora Nealand Tom McDermott fest
                          Helen gillet fest
                          Buddy guy fest
                          Last edited by rasta13; 05-14-2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I forgot two major highlights:
                            -Daniel Lanois prior to the Spencer Bohren tribute.
                            That Stanton Moore set second weekend in the jazz tent was nuts.

Comment

Trumpet Mafia was my highlight. Galactic was second. They absolutely crushed their set. Terrance Blanchard also delivered a top-notch, thematic set. Anders Osborne sounded great as well, and I wish we would have caught more of his set!

Comment

Only went first weekend

War & Treaty, can take seeing The Who off bucket list
                                I forget if Glen David Andrews or SOUL brought out Anderson Paak at d.b.a. Both shows were great
                                Seeing a show at Preservation Hall
                                Catching Trumpet Mafia at the Frenchmen Hotel
                                Fried chicken and mac & cheese at Willie Mae's

Comment

Working...
                                X