Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second weekend Fairgrounds.
    Thursday: Leo Nocentelli Another Side, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Ziggy Marley. Not a fan of bluegrass, but Billy Strings guitar solos were outstanding.
    Friday: Cimafunk, Tribute to Nevilles, Preservation Hall Band, Elvis Costello and the Imposters
    Saturday: Jeremy Davenport, Samantha Fish ( she is so much better than 2019-20)
    Sunday: Dr. John Tribute, Irma Thomas
    Clubs
    Daze Between Band at Tips, Germaine Bazzle at Snug Harbor (what a treasure, can’t believe she is 90)
    Food
    Saba, Clancy’s
    Lowlight: Got Covid. Recommend Paxlovid, if you’re old as fuck like me.

Comment

Fortunate to have done both weekends this year.

First weekend picks: Bombino; Arturo Sandoval; The Who; Tribute to Bessie Smith (Meschiya); Randy Newman; Son Rompre Pera.

Second Weekend: Billy Strings; Ziggy Marley; Elvis Costello; Patrice Fisher; Shovels & Rope; John Mooney; Ricky Skaggs; Mavis.

No night shows this time but major kudos to the Patry and its organizers for a wonderful day. That D. Haus Band was a simply kickin' jam band with Luther Dickinson, June Y, John Gros, GP Jr, and Stanton Moore burnin' through their set.

Also thanks to the LMF for a wonderful final music Monday at The Mint beginning with the lovely Shannon McNally and ending with a smokin' solo set by Samantha Fish. And that's a wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
        I forgot two major highlights:
        -Daniel Lanois prior to the Spencer Bohren tribute.
        That Stanton Moore set second weekend in the jazz tent was nuts.
        https://soundcloud.com/rlbayers/sets...appe-stage-3pm

Comment

Originally posted by rasta13 View Post
          Top three that jump right out at me are Daniel Lanois at fest, Mars Williams at Music Box, and medeski Martin singleton Skerik logic at oej.

The best of the rest in chronological order:

Shannon Powell FQF
          Andre Bohren and Electric Yat FQF
          Suns Pelicans Game 4
          Panorama Jazz Band dba
          Brad Walker Quartet Chickie Wah Wah
          Mononeon Blue Nile
          DakhaBrakha Fest
          Alvin Ford Jr Maple Leaf
          Makaya McCraven Hotel St Vincent
          John Boutte dba
          Johnny V dba
          Johnny v zony mash
          Gillet cambre zerang carnival lounge
          Yussef dayes oej
          Antonio Sanchez fest
          Tank tips
          Dinner party late n1 oej
          Midnight disturbers fest
          Dr Michael white fest
          Badu fest
          Mahmoud chouki fest
          Aurora Nealand Tom McDermott fest
          Helen gillet fest
          Buddy guy fest
          https://soundcloud.com/rlbayers/sets...appe-stage-3pm

Comment

My top 10 at Fest:
            Leyla MaCalla
            Bombino
            Lakou Mizik
            Las Cafeteras
            Ziggy Marley
            Cimafunk
            The Black Crowes
            New Orleans Gospel Soul Children
            Andrew Duhon
            Mahmoud Chouki

My top 3 night shows:
            - Les Filles de Illighadad at Music Box Village- What an amazing venue. I was completely blown away by these ladies. The guitar work that Fatou Seidi Ghali was laying down was beyond captivating.
            - North Mississippi All Stars at Tips- I worship at the alter of Luther Dickinson. Adding a bass player has given Luther the freedom to cut loose and jam wildly and I was in heaven.
            - The Word at Tips- What a band! Holy virtuoso!

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post

My top 3 night shows:
              - Les Filles de Illighadad at Music Box

- North Mississippi All Stars at Tips- I worship at the alter of Luther Dickinson. Adding a bass player has given Luther the freedom to cut loose and jam wildly and I was in heaven.
              I do, too. I saw Luther in the day on Oak St. and went running after him to fan boy but he was on the phone.

At the HOB, they opened with one of the Shake 'Em On Down things they do. But after a verse or so, Luther took off on a 10 minute guitar extravaganza that made me say, "OK, that's how it's gonna be tonight." He pretty much kept it up like that for the next two hours. Jesse Williams on bass is much more integrated into the band than last I saw him when he had first joined and he and Cody provided such a solid foundation for Luther to stand on and take flight. It was great.

With Jon Cleary bringing his A Game, as well, with an expanded AMG for what obviously was an important gig to him, that was the best HOB show I've been to in a long time.

I wish I had seen Les Filles, as well as Bombino.

280265423_10228156308682769_5909971845360888230_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=NZaXY-vS-P0AX8no-no&tn=Wmx3xkW9_tTCURsn&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AT_n3BgbDKe2xde-lw2GYkXMJY6TRh9V6K3gdDHqmutzQQ&oe=62860A8E
              Last edited by chopitulas; 05-14-2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
                I always loved Hidden Pictures and Goofus and Gallant.
                Same!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My highlight was bringing my grandkid to their first jazzfest and also for their first time in the city. You know how much I love them when I tell you I missed Galactic to pick 20 year old Echo up at the airport to make their trip easier. They got to see The Who on Saturday, MOnoneon and MIke Dillon's Percussion Consortium at Music Box Village Saturday night and they were fourth row for their favorite band, RHCP! Seeing the joy on that face made it all worth it!

Other highlights- Stanton Moore in the Jazz Tent, Ziggy Marley, me, and a couple thousand others singing along to all songs Bob, Midnight Disturbers set honoring Kevin ODay. I planned to see some of the Campbell Brothers but I just couldn't leave Kevin's celebration of life. I closed out my fest with Big Chief Juan Pardo's Jockimo's Groove in the Pavilion. It was total fire.

The gulf fish taco, strawberry shortcake, apple cobbler, PQA gumbo, trout dizzy, shrimp bun salad style, crawfish enchiladas and crab beignet were all delicious. The tea folks' effort to use paper cups was admirable but I lost an entire tea because of it.

Tip for the future: Tips is open 10-4 each weekday but you may have to call to get them to open the door. We stopped by on Tuesday after so my Canajun friends could shop the merch instead of having to order and have it shipped.

Also I'm so glad the pandemic caused the creation of Zony Mash, Faubourg Brewery and the Broadside as cool outdoor venues. May they thrive and be around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post
                    shrimp bun salad style
                    What is this? No noodles, extra lettuce?
                    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

What is this? No noodles, extra lettuce?
                      Yup. Next time I'm asking for extra toppings- crispies and nuts and such.

Comment

On of the best of my 25 jazzfests. No doubt because It's the 1st time for both weekends since '94 &'93 when I first started.
                        Weather was hot ,but so what. The rains stayed away during fest time. Wristband was no big deal. Just pulled it off as soon as it was scanned.
                        Was at all 7 days of fest 1st note tll the last, hanks to my hosts 2 blocks from the fest. Saw 77 bands ( 2 song minimum,not including blow bys)
                        BNA's:
                        The Who were sublime with the orchestra- Tommy and Quadrophenia I believe were made for this type of treatment. Roger's voice held out for the most part. Could hear some of those bass lines I like with their current bassist. I'm a big Who fan of Tommy, Who's Next and Quad so this was off the hook.
                        Elvis Costello- delivered with Nieve on Keys and killer drummer. Nice he brought up Tommy McClain and cc Adcock. Pump it up, Allison, Peace Love and Understanding finale -WOw

Spencer Bohwen remembered was as emotional a set as I can remember- Sat 2nd row. He lives down the street from my hosts and I've spoken to him and Marilyn many times. I got to have an impromptu jam with Andre's son Luke (he's 3 I think) banging rocks on a railing. Kid has an ear and rythym already.
                        favorite 5 new bands to me:
                        CIMAFUNK- reeeeaaaly entertaining and Funky. mesemerizing lead singer
                        RANKY TANKY- unique ,jazzy,vocals ,eclectic
                        BOMBINO- mesmerizing rockin riffs,african,middle eastern inervals
                        JORDAN THIBODEAUX-punky yet traditional cajun
                        Rickie Scaggs- a legend

Iguanas,Suspects,Flow tribe,Naughty Professor, Zacahry Richard,Mia Borders, Meshiya Lake, Alex McMurry,Johnny Sketch &Y'ats, Bonerama,Mia Borders were killing, all before 1:30 pm
                        Rosie, Chubby, Beausoleil,Terrance Simien ,Savoy Family all got my zydeco/cajun on
                        Jazz-Arturo Sandoval,Basie band,Astral project, Ellis Tribute,Khari Allen Lee,Lawrence Seiberth.. outstanding fusion, Stanton Moore with Tork,James,Skerik, and Jason M.,Cookers
                        Blues- Sonny, Kenny Neal SLAYED, Lindell.
                        Daniel Lanois was special-master of sounds. 2 step danced to Under a Stormy Sky closer, made me a bit weepy.
                        Rads were great, Anders raged,Guitar Masters sparkled, Tom McDermoot and Aurora , Bessie Smith tribute......

I could go on and on,in fact I already have. Fabulous Fest!
                        Weird moments- Jazz tent cutting off Arturo Sandoval at 6:55 . Inexcusably rude!!! He wsa pissed!
                        end of Dr. John set which was pretty cool. ended 10 minutes early -looked like band was sick of Quint announcements. i dunno. I know John Gros cancelled because of covid.
                        Norah Jones Clusterf$^k should have never happened. Way to big an act for Jazz Tent. Big enough for Gentilly-maybe. Blues tent-a stretch for blues. Never seen jazz tent backed all the way back to fence. caught some great Shorty and (experienced pro) slid into Jazz Tent for last half hour and a couple of the hits for my wife. Tank sat in for Don't know why.
                        Bunch of folks I know caught covid- we were unscathed. Super spreader fo sure.
                        Back at it next year-2 weekends is the goal again.

Last edited by larrybalmur; 05-16-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Don't think I saw any of my favorite three sets mentioned yet. Keyla Richardson in the gospel tent. She blew the roof off the tent (and unfortunately was seen by fewer than 50 people She was amazing!!! Really enjoyed the Jimmy Hall set in the blues tent and the Shannon McNally set was amazingly awesome with Papa John Gros, Tony Hall and Raymond Webber in her band. Mavis and Midnite Disturbers were also very high on my list.

Comment

Oh, and by the way, I thought the sound in the Blues tent was way better than usual as was the vibe . Was always able to get really good seats no matter how many people were blocking the way at the entry points. Mavis first ten rows and then first row for the end of her set.

Comment

Originally posted by Runaround Al View Post
                              Oh, and by the way, I thought the sound in the Blues tent was way better than usual as was the vibe . Was always able to get really good seats no matter how many people were blocking the way at the entry points. Mavis first ten rows and then first row for the end of her set.
                              Blues tent sound was marginally better for sure. Still a little muddy during loud with horns sections (Kenny Neal) . Not enough for solo acts like Rory Block or Randy Newman. But better.

Comment

Originally posted by Runaround Al View Post
                                Speaking of Mavis:

https://mavisstaples.bandcamp.com/album/carry-me-home

https://holler.country/reviews/album...-carry-me-home

Comment

Working...
                                X