Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegas View Post

A few (10?) years ago I stuck around town for almost a week after Fest. Caught a show at the Leaf, Luther, Porter and Simon Lott on drums (he might have been trading out with Johnny V). One of my top 5 shows if all tine. Also on Jam Cruise 3, the original NMAS (trio w/ Chris Chew) with Theresa Anderson sitting in for most of the show. Tremendous! Luther should be mentioned on any list of modern-day (born after 1970) guitar gods.
    Luther guesting with Anders at Tipitina's in 2012, I believe, was the best "sit in" with Anders I've ever seen, the best of his Guest shows I saw by a long shot.

Luther also played great with Duane Betts at the Allman Family Revival show at the Saenger last December. They did a great "Dreams" together and I think "Blue Sky," as well. They were very sympatico.

Comment

I chatted with Luther after a SXSW show in 2014. He’s the coolest dude ever. I love The Replacements, so I asked him about his father producing Pleased to Meet Me. He said his dad called him to the studio to lay down a solo on “Shooting Dirty Pool.” He grabbed his cologne-drenched shirt from the night before and took off. Paul Westerberg often improvises his lyrics and references Luther with the line, “You’re the coolest guy that I ever have smelt.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
        I chatted with Luther after a SXSW show in 2014. He’s the coolest dude ever. I love The Replacements, so I asked him about his father producing Pleased to Meet Me. He said his dad called him to the studio to lay down a solo on “Shooting Dirty Pool.” He grabbed his cologne-drenched shirt from the night before and took off. Paul Westerberg often improvises his lyrics and references Luther with the line, “You’re the coolest guy that I ever have smelt.”
        I love this story.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

How quickly they all grow up.

Sharde is 32.
          Oh hell. Time flies when you're having fun. And even when you're not.

Comment

Originally posted by funkkjunkie View Post

Oh hell. Time flies when you're having fun. And even when you're not.
            True Dat

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post
              I always loved Hidden Pictures and Goofus and Gallant.
              Liked Goofus; hated Gallant.

Comment

First some non musical highlights, I loved the rekindled activity on this Forum/Bored especially from all the newcomers. Stay with us please. We discuss music, New Orleans, sports, shoes and other topics throughout the year and need some new blood around here. The Royal Threadhead Wedding was perfect, and The Party was the best one ever until the next one, but as far as Fest itself, my favorite new discoveries include Ranky Tanky, Cinefunk, The Campbell Brothers (my first time) and The Daiquiri Queens. Billy Strings’ playing was beyond impressive and his band were as tight as any I’ve ever seen. It’s not really my kind of music, but, if it’s yours, you won’t find anyone any better. In the rest of the lineup, Trombone Shorty and Samantha Fish were as hot as the outside temperature on final Sunday, Asleep at the Wheel and The Lost Bayou Ramblers packed and pleased listeners at The Fais Do Do Stage where the sound was perfect for every performance I saw there including Kim Carson and Yvette Landry, both of whom I applaud for keeping respectably and respectively real deal country and swamp pop alive. Bonerama’s jazzier approach was a welcome surprise and the orchestral enhancement on The Who’s Quadrophenia sounded great. The Iguanas gave the best performance that I’ve seen them do in years. Count Basie Orchestra sounded like The Count Basie Orchestra. Lynn Drury deserved a bigger crowd for her Lagniappe closing slot, but those of us there were glad we were. iI have to say that I consider Boyfriend my favorite Fest act.. Make of that what you will. Like others, I was not real impressed with this years lineup when I first saw it, but I left Fest 2022 as fulfilled as any I have ever attended. Only eleven more months till the next time!
                Last edited by Kemp; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                X