No announcement yet.

How to get people to go see Woodenhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The streetcar will get you from Canal St to Carrollton Station for $1.25.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

This is a bit of an aside but I did see Steve Morse mentioned and was reminded of this. One night at Checkpoints, I noticed Jimmy had a pile of funny looking picks next to him and he wears one on his right index finger. He told me he had some nerve damage along the way and was having trouble holding a pick. He takes a small piece of PVC and then bends it so it wraps around his finger and attaches a pick to it with Super Glue. He said Steve Morse, who I believe he met when Woodenhead and the Dixie Dregs played together in the 90's, had the same problem and together they were talking to somebody about mass producing these things for sale at Guitar Center, etc. But, in the end, they realized not enough people have that problem to make it commercially viable.
      Last edited by chopitulas; 05-12-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
        The streetcar will get you from Canal St to Carrollton Station for $1.25.
        Yes, I know but that can take more time than I usually have during Jazzfest especially if I’n coming from a dinner or early show. Coming from the Marigny or Bywater(where I usually stay) and I’m looking at an hour just to get there. I’ve done it before. Also, if a show gets over at 1:00 am that makes for a long ride back after a night of fun. I have had good luck running into friends at a show and getting a ride back at least part of the way.

Comment

Maybe they just don't play nearly enough covers (or Dead tunes) for today's JF crowd!

The first time I ever stuck my head into Carrollton Station over 30 years ago, some band (maybe it was Woodenhead) was playing a wacky version of Led Zep's Kashmir which we thought was so cool.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

It is very difficult to attract people to creative music that requires deep listening.
            There are precious few venues in town that afford a "listening room" environment, which a band like Woodenhead requires. Chickie Wah Wah can be that venue at times, but it can also be a raucous New Orleans club depending on who is playing. Jimmy Robinson taking over the lead guitar in Lost In The Sixties allows him to see what draws larger crowds, and that is music that does not require a great deal of the listener's attention. Alex McMurray was able to build an audience of listeners playing an early Saturday gig at Siberia/Carnaval, and perhaps Woodenhead might consider doing that, along with adding someone like Helen to add some texture to their sound. The audience there tends to skew younger and more likely are people who have never heard of Woodenhead.

They definitely should be playing jazzfest as well.

Comment

There is availability of the 80's material, if reissued it might revitalize interest via 'OZ and other outlets.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
                Maybe they just don't play nearly enough covers (or Dead tunes) for today's JF crowd!

The first time I ever stuck my head into Carrollton Station over 30 years ago, some band (maybe it was Woodenhead) was playing a wacky version of Led Zep's Kashmir which we thought was so cool.
                That was indeed Woodenhead. They played it again last weekend at Carrollton which as noted was a completely great show. Seeing them is one of the pleasures of my trips to NO. The amount of pure musicality in that band is astounding.
                Last edited by BrettM; 05-14-2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

That was indeed Woodenhead. They played it again last weekend at Carrollton which as noted was a completely great show. Seeing them is one of the pleasures of my trips to NO. The amount of pure musicality in that band is astounding.
                  I second that emotion. I find it hard to understand that there is anything really difficult to absorb in their music. It is hardly "free jazz" or some esoteric form that is hard to digest. Yeah, it is intense and there are no vocals but it is melodic and tuneful as they play actual songs that are well composed and put together. There is a logic in their playing, Jimmy Robinson in particular. If there is a flight of fancy in the middle, they are good at returning to the head of the tune before it is over. The beats played by the incredible Mark Whitaker may vary from 4/4 but it's nothing that anyone with open ears couldn't digest, it seems to me.

Comment

Jimmy Robinson had his 12 string Taylor fall out the back of his car coming home from playing at Chickie Wah Wah last night. Everyone is sure hoping he gets it back.

Comment

Whenever I am at a dive bar ( which may be a bit too often) with a juke I always play The Iguanas. It never fails that the place gets quiet and everyone starts dancing and they ask me who that band is and give me a few bucks to play some more. Would they pay 15 bucks cover to see them sometime I don’t know

Comment

One consideration not yet brought up is that Woodenhead music is mostly, if not entirely, undanceable. That's gonna be problematical in NOLA, especially regarding younger audiences. Creative, clever instrumental tunes that require your attention to appreciate? Over the heads of the masses. Good analogy, Chop, to Jeff Becks' style. Brilliant composition and performance, but brushed aside for more mainstream rock 'n rollin'. Shame on Quint for not staging Woodenhead @ Fest. Chickies' has been the ideal club for the band, for a while now. Hopeful that might continue, but the place is presently up for sale ...

Comment

This thread has me somewhat baffled, in that Woodenhead has been together for what now? 48 years? And now is the time to get people to go see them?
                          Anyhoo. They are playing Broadside on June 8 with the NO Guitar Masters opening.
                          A good day/night for intricate guitar work.

Comment

Ever since Cheap Trick broke out of the Suburban Chicagoland stripmall rock club scene to become Arena headliners I am honest enough to admit that I prefer all my favorite bands to remain obscurities that I can comfortably see for a few bucks any time I want

Comment

I can't believe that in all my years of hearing music in New Orleans that I haven't heard Woodenhead. After reading the posts of so many music savvy folks here, I will make an effort to do so. Does anyone remember a fun Zappa like band from NOLA in the early nineties called The Frank Spencer Quartet?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                                Ever since Cheap Trick broke out of the Suburban Chicagoland stripmall rock club scene to become Arena headliners I am honest enough to admit that I prefer all my favorite bands to remain obscurities that I can comfortably see for a few bucks any time I want
                                I remember seeing Cheap Trick in a tiny club in the suburb of Houston in 1986-ish. There couldn't have been more than 200 people there, at best. We walked right up to the stage and stared at Rick Nielsen's feet all night.

Comment

Working...
                                X