Exile on Main Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Ian was on the tour the year before that made up 3 sides of "Love You Live" but not at these 2 shows. I love Preston's playing, especially the piano on "Hot Stuff".
    I thought I had read online he was there because I was curious who was playing keyboards. Thanks for the clarification. I started to wonder when I heard more than just straight piano as Ian was pretty much only a piano man.

Comment

Mac, a huge Booker T fan, did play a good bit of B3 in The Small Faces, Faces and others, but did stick mainly to piano for The Stones. Like many other music nerds on this old forum, I’ve read a lot of books of varying quality by musicians. Ian MacLagan’s “All the Rage” is at the top of the list of good ones. Highly recommend if you can find it. He could write as well as he played.
      Last edited by Kemp; 05-16-2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Time flies.

I remember posting something about the 40th Birthday of Exile and it does not seem like it was 10 years ago.

And I must dig out the 40th CD with all the bonus tunes on it when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
          Mac, a huge Booker T fan, did play a good bit of B3 in The Small Faces, Faces and others, but did stick mainly to piano for The Stones. Like many other music nerds on this old forum, I’ve read a lot of books of varying quality by musicians. Ian MacLagan’s “All the Rage” is at the top of the list of good ones. Highly recommend if you can find it. He could write as well as he played.
          Have to second the recommendation above on the "All the Rage" book - was fortunate to have caught Mac and his band at the Dogfish Pub in Delaware shortly before he passed. What a terrific guy and career.

As for "Exile on Main", still can't believe what a crappy recording the original master captured of these inspired songs. Jimmy Miller/ Glyn Johns must have been coked out of their minds in that tin can of a mobile recording studio on the grounds of that decaying and decadent French chateau....

Comment

Looking forward to listening!! Side 3 of Love you Live is still one of my favs. "Everything alright in the Critic Section" is a common line between me and me buds. Speaking of Mac he moved to Austin (on a recommendation by close friend Ronnie Lane) and we were able to see him weekly at a small club. What a great musician and truly truly a real great guy and gentleman. No ego what so ever. Loved to have a pint after his show with anyone that wanted to shoot the breeze.
            Last edited by barrymojo; 05-16-2022, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barrymojo View Post
              Looking forward to listening!! Side 3 of Love you Live is still one of my favs. "Everything alright in the Critic Section" is a common line between me and me buds.
              They axed Mick's introductions of the band though after "Crackin' Up". I guess they thought the line where Mick says "Ronnie Wood's Gay" wouldn't fly in 2022. I mean it's been out there for 45 years with no issues.
              Last edited by jjazznj; 05-17-2022, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Wrong Ian though. We meant Stones co-founder and pianist Ian Stewart.

Ian MacLagan lived and played in Austin for many years with his Bump Band before he passed away.

Comment

Ian MacLagan lived and played in Austin for many years with his Bump Band before he passed away.
                  I went to a Happy Hour gig in 2005 he did in Austin at a bar next to a previous incarnation of Antone's. And his book is fun, as well. I have a signed copy.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I went to a Happy Hour gig in 2005 he did in Austin at a bar next to a previous incarnation of Antone's. And his book is fun, as well. I have a signed copy.
                    Yep it was called the Lucky Lounge. Bonnie Raitt and Mac were good friends, and she would come see his HH shows when she was in town. I even gave her a copy of a Funky Meters show (that I happened to have in my car) from years before at Liberty Lunch when she sat in with them for about 5 songs.

Comment

Originally posted by barrymojo View Post

Yep it was called the Lucky Lounge. Bonnie Raitt and Mac were good friends, and she would come see his HH shows when she was in town. I even gave her a copy of a Funky Meters show (that I happened to have in my car) from years before at Liberty Lunch when she sat in with them for about 5 songs.
                      I love that Funky Meters show. I've listened to it many times. Cool story. I miss those old clubs like Liberty Lunch and La Zona Rosa although some good ones like C-Boy's, Sagebrush & Sahara Lounge have replaced them.

Notes that came with the show:

The funky Meters
                      Liberty Lunch
                      Austin, TX
                      February 9, 1996

Funky Miracle
                      Africa
                      Thank You (for letting me be myself)
                      Look-ka Py Py
                      Cordova
                      Get Out My Life Woman
                      Soul Island
                      People Get Ready
                      Just Kissed My Baby
                      Iko, Iko
                      They All Asked for You
                      Hootchie Coo > Drums > All Shook Up
                      Hey Pocky Way
                      Bonnie Raitt intro
                      Hand Jive*
                      Junco Partner*
                      Honky Tonk Woman*
                      Going Down to Louisiana* (?)
                      Groovy Lady
                      Doodle Oop (the world is a little bit under the weather)
                      Cissy Strut
                      Love the One You're With > Hootchie Coo
                      Brand New Bag
                      Saturday Night Fish Fry
                      I Need More Time
                      Midnight Rider
                      e:
                      Fire on the Bayou

Lineup:
                      Art Neville
                      George Porter, Jr.
                      David Russell Batiste, Jr
                      Brian Stoltz
                      *Bonnie Raitt

The best funky Meters show ever? Tough to beat this one. Almost every song segues to the next as they move effortlessly across covers and their own catalog. A rare "I Need More Time" is also a highlight and who can miss the great Bonnie Raitt sitting in! Great show, well mixed, perfect soundboard with hotter/better levels than the previous night's recording. A 17 minute version of Fire on the Bayou caps this smokin' 2:20 long set. A must have for any funk fan.

Comment

Sorry about the confusion. I think of that Ian as “Stu” who was a piano man, but it had to be in a major key.

Comment

Originally posted by FestJester View Post

Have to second the recommendation above on the "All the Rage" book - was fortunate to have caught Mac and his band at the Dogfish Pub in Delaware shortly before he passed. What a terrific guy and career.

As for "Exile on Main", still can't believe what a crappy recording the original master captured of these inspired songs. Jimmy Miller/ Glyn Johns must have been coked out of their minds in that tin can of a mobile recording studio on the grounds of that decaying and decadent French chateau....
                          Kind of agree about the original production, but it suits the music and gives it a certain feel a more polished production would have lacked, and they did polish it up a bit with the L.A. overdubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Kind of agree about the original production, but it suits the music and gives it a certain feel a more polished production would have lacked, and they did polish it up a bit with the L.A. overdubs.
                            Some say that "you can't polish a turd" but I guess you can if it's on the run!

Comment

Some say that "you can't polish a turd" but I guess you can if it's on the run!
                              Original production was part of the charm. It’s supposed to be muddy.

Comment

Original production was part of the charm. It’s supposed to be muddy.
                                Team Kemp on this one

Comment

Working...
                                X