Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Team Kemp on this one
    Mick and Bill Wyman were both unhappy with the original mix. But, if you like "murky and muddy", I guess it works. Kinda like the JF Blues Tent, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by FestJester View Post

Mick and Bill Wyman were both unhappy with the original mix. But, if you like "murky and muddy", I guess it works. Kinda like the JF Blues Tent, eh?
      Nope. This was deliberate, and nowhere near as bad as a bad blues tent day. It’s really not that muddy or murky, just a stark contrast to the “cocaine by the Los Angeles poolside” sound that was emerging at the time. Kind of like punk.

Comment

I never had an issue with the album soundwise...it sounded right from the get go to me. I always felt the grunginess of it was the way the band was playing and the material more than anything. And it was obvious it wasn't a sharply separated studio recording, it was painted with a broader stroke with some stretching out on its four sides. You weren't really aware of the the circumstances when it first came out but it did make sense it was recorded in a basement when that became known.
        Last edited by chopitulas; 05-18-2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah sound was never an issue, I just wanted more of it but instead got GHS and then IORR, 2 kind of uneven albums.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
            Yeah sound was never an issue, I just wanted more of it but instead got GHS and then IORR, 2 kind of uneven albums.
            Goats Head is worth revisiting, and the last special edition they released a couple of years ago. with a cleaner mix, highlights how good some of those songs are. Agree that much of It's Only Rock and Roll seems subStonesstandard.

Comment

Interesting that Jagger felt that Exile was almost a "throwaway" album but understandable due to its following 3 masterfully produced gems in a row with BB, LIB and SF.......

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Goats Head is worth revisiting, and the last special edition they released a couple of years ago. with a cleaner mix, highlights how good some of those songs are. Agree that much of It's Only Rock and Roll seems subStonesstandard.
                I agree it's better than IORR. I actually like Black & Blue better than that one.

Comment

I agree it's better than IORR. I actually like Black & Blue better than that one.
                  Agree - it was dissed at the time as being "Disco Stones" but holds up quite well in hindsight....

Comment

Originally posted by FestJester View Post
                    Interesting that Jagger felt that Exile was almost a "throwaway" album but understandable due to its following 3 masterfully produced gems in a row with BB, LIB and SF.......
                    Plus Exile was mainly Keith's baby, made in his house pretty much on his terms. It went on to become a favorite of fans and critics so Mick's probably still a bit miffed. I always liked the story of how Keith and Mick thought that "Satisfaction" was B side throwaway filler, but Brian, Charlie and Bill outvoted them for it to be the A side single.

I know many Stones fans will consider this blasphemy, but I've often wondered how Exile would have sounded with Wood instead of Taylor. Ronnie does well in the mud.
                    Last edited by Kemp; 05-19-2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

B & B has indeed aged quite well.

Comment

I love both Goat's Head Soup and Black and Blue. Some great gems on each.

Comment

Ok Ok I get you guys and all of that complicated stuff....after all, I started this thread.....but now a step back in both times, attitudes (well perhaps not attitudes) and complexities.

"12 x 5" Anyone here old enough to remember? All of the back and forth got me to thinking and reminiscing . Simpler times and less complicated structure but some fun music still.

I suggest that if interested one might start with "Under the Boardwalk"
                          https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...26Z4RAHkuWeF0t

Then how about "2120 South Michigan Avenue"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YrExDgCcavymNm

I won't go on and on but I do have to close with this one..... Good at the start and pretty goofy as it hits the middle but still both entertaining and amusing. Long live the Rolling Stones !!!!

https://youtu.be/OrTNxXi0is0
                          Last edited by 20/20; 05-19-2022, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                            Ok Ok I get you guys and all of that complicated stuff....after all, I started this thread.....but now a step back in both times, attitudes (well perhaps not attitudes) and complexities.

"12 x 5" Anyone here old enough to remember? All of the back and forth got me to thinking and reminiscing . Simpler times and less complicated structure but some fun music still.

I suggest that if interested one might start with "Under the Boardwalk"
                            https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...26Z4RAHkuWeF0t

Then how about "2120 South Michigan Avenue"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YrExDgCcavymNm

I won't go on and on but I do have to close with this one..... Good at the start and pretty goofy as it hits the middle but still both entertaining and amusing. Long live the Rolling Stones !!!!

https://youtu.be/OrTNxXi0is0
                            For years we would dance to "2120 South Michigan Avenue" on Friday mornings before going to work to "psych up" for the coming weekend. Really fun groovin instrumental. that was Chess Record's address btw.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                              I first got "Rolling Stones, Now!" in '65 and it blew my 14-year-old mind. I couldn't tell who was who from the cover or who played what. And the song selections are still hip today, amazing for English guys then.

I got "12 X 5" next and dug it, too. Who knew then "2120 South Michigan" was the address of Chess Records where they recorded much of these two.

Those two records made me total fan boy leading up to seeing them in '66.

Comment

I still listen to a lot of cuts from those early Stones album. "Down the Road Apiece" and "Have Mercy" spring immediately to mind. Their early albums are similar to their last, 2016's Blue and Lonesome, for which they took so much grief (plenty on this Forum) for assuming that they could pass themselves off as a blues band. Laughable. Aftermath and Between the Buttons revealed England's newest hitmakers to be formidable writers of their own tunes. When Mick finally quit trying to emulate The Beatles, the Rolling Stones became the band that everyone thinks of now.
                                Last edited by Kemp; 05-20-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X