More LSD Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More LSD Talk

Know anyone who suffers permanent damage from an avid trip?
    Last edited by jonnygospeltent; 05-19-2022, 09:41 PM.

Syd Barrett

Comment

Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post
      Syd Barrett
      In the cases of Syd Barrett and Brian Wilson, the schizophrenia was already there. The drugs may have brought it to the forefron sooner. I don't know of anyone who ever had one of those flashbacks we were all so cautioned about. And I know plenty of people who are potential candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
        Know anyone who suffers permanent damage from an avid trip?
        Unfortunately, yes. A college friend did way too much acid over a couple of years time (and probably mescaline, psylocibin, etc,) and ended up having a mental breakdown followed by institutionalization and suicide at age 25. Very sad. As Kemp says, there is no way to know whether he may have ended in the same place without the drugs - was his mental condition the cause of his usage, or the effect, or already there and just aggravated?

Can't speak to the "flashback" issue, personally or anecdotally.

Comment

also, see Roky Erickson.

I had a college-years roommate who kept a vial of Sunshine in our apartment fridge. We experimented with plant/fungus-based psychedelics (I still have those Carlos Castaneda books) but I never felt that we did any of the agents to excess, understanding that - to some - any use could be considered excessive. I think the most extreme episode for me was being handed a vial at a Cal Expo Dead show. The lid of the vial had a glass rod attached and, not wanting to contaminate the vial, I let a drop fall off the rod into my mouth. The owner immediately asked me if I had "done a free drop". Oh, crap. I remember things getting a bit more exciting than usual after everyone in the audience suddenly sported a neon-colored ballcap. I had to get, and keep, moving that night. Luckily for me, Rob Levitsky, the Palo Alto human LED dancing-bear, was doing his audience dancing and I followed him through the crowd until I finally levelled-off.

1200x0.jpg

As for flashbacks, I'll admit that there was a period into my early 30's when floor-to-ceiling draperies would occasionally shimmy with no provocation, but I never experienced it as unpleasant or unexpected. I think the original curtain-wavering-on-its-own first occurred during a psilocybin event. The micro-dosing of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms, as a mental health therapeutic is curious to me at this age. I'm much more aware of being in the present - and I'm kind of selfish about wanting to remember how events actually play out these days, rather than a hazy escape from reality. Having said that, I still vicariously enjoy watching episodes of Hamilton's Pharmacopeia on Vice.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
            also, see Roky Erickson.

I had a college-years roommate who kept a vial of Sunshine in our apartment fridge. We experimented with plant/fungus-based psychedelics (I still have those Carlos Castaneda books) but I never felt that we did any of the agents to excess, understanding that - to some - any use could be considered excessive. I think the most extreme episode for me was being handed a vial at a Cal Expo Dead show. The lid of the vial had a glass rod attached and, not wanting to contaminate the vial, I let a drop fall off the rod into my mouth. The owner immediately asked me if I had "done a free drop". Oh, crap. I remember things getting a bit more exciting than usual after everyone in the audience suddenly sported a neon-colored ballcap. I had to get, and keep, moving that night. Luckily for me, Rob Levitsky, the Palo Alto human LED dancing-bear, was doing his audience dancing and I followed him through the crowd until I finally levelled-off.

1200x0.jpg

As for flashbacks, I'll admit that there was a period into my early 30's when floor-to-ceiling draperies would occasionally shimmy with no provocation, but I never experienced it as unpleasant or unexpected. I think the original curtain-wavering-on-its-own first occurred during a psilocybin event. The micro-dosing of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms, as a mental health therapeutic is curious to me at this age. I'm much more aware of being in the present - and I'm kind of selfish about wanting to remember how events actually play out these days, rather than a hazy escape from reality. Having said that, I still vicariously enjoy watching episodes of Hamilton's Pharmacopeia on Vice.
            This explains a lot.

Comment

No flashbacks. But that Rob Levitsky dude gave us some chuckles once upon a time. (Then and since, I reckon...)

We were probably at Mountain View, maybe Alpine Valley, when we saw him from a distance. One member of our group was trying to point him out, describing him as 'The Light-Up Guy'... Well, over the music, it sounded more like 'The Light of God'...

And THAT has been a thing with us ever since... Ah: Good Times!

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

This explains a lot.
                Ha. I mostly missed the alkaloid follies of the next generation. And the attendant personality adjustments.

Comment

I don't know anything about flashbacks, but those octagonal black and white bathroom tiles are a little unsettling at times.

Comment

Somewhere Bennyboy is smiling.

Comment

[QUOTE=freebo;n870536]No flashbacks. But that Rob Levitsky dude gave us some chuckles once upon a time. (Then and since, I reckon...)

So many great times seeing him in his light up suit but the most memorable was a very hot day at High Sierra Music Festival seeing him dunk in a water truck tank in his tighty whities

Comment

I remember him at the Greek, in particular, going up and down the cement aisles. Musta seen him at the Coliseum Arena, as well. I think he was a Palo Alto businessman of some stature, as I recall, maybe a realtor.

Comment

Got to shake Rob Levitsky's hand at a Shoreline show about 5 years ago after watching him since the 80's float through concert crowds. That guy always mesmerized me.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                            I remember him at the Greek, in particular, going up and down the cement aisles. Musta seen him at the Coliseum Arena, as well. I think he was a Palo Alto businessman of some stature, as I recall, maybe a realtor.
                            I believe Rob made a bundle in early computer consulting, but he’s probably best known as the most ethical landlord in Palo Alto - renting a series of houses split into affordable apartments for Stanford students, all named for Dead tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post

I believe Rob made a bundle in early computer consulting, but he’s probably best known as the most ethical landlord in Palo Alto - renting a series of houses split into affordable apartments for Stanford students, all named for Dead tunes.
                              That's the "business man / realtor" connection I had heard about. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X