Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nobody else excited for Bayou Boogaloo?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nobody else excited for Bayou Boogaloo?

    Yeah yeah, it used to be free, but I think I paid $30 for my early bird wrist band. Boukou Groove, Dragon Smoke, Soul Rebels, Sonny Landreth, Marc Stone and the New Soul Finders and others for that price seems like a steal.

    Also, anyone know where to go to pick up my wrist band early? I want to see all of boukou groove so would like to get it ahead of time so I'm not stuck in line.

  • #2
    I wish I could be there

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jordan View Post
      I wish I could be there
      I haven't read/heard one word of excitement....all complaints. Bunch of negative Nancy's, lol. Im pumped!

      Comment


      • #4
        There is a lot of backlash this year, especially by those who live nearby who were not even told about street closures. The thing has just gone from a nice free neighborhood fest to something much bigger. The people in that hood have just gotten past Jazz Fest and now this which makes it tough to come and go away from their homes. Many do not like the idea that they will be patrolling the bayou, a public space to make sure everyone pays to get in, even those on rafts etc....

        For me personally I don't like the idea that once you go in you cannot leave. I live a few blocks away and it's nice to be able to go home for a few minutes or use your own bathroom. I'm skipping tonight to go see Smashing Pumpkins instead. I may go on Sunday but I doubt it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm excited for it. Got a pedicure last night (I missed doing that for JF). There's so much work and ancillary stuff going on around Jazz Fest for me, sometimes it feels like another job. With BB, its nice to know that I can just show up and enjoy... no other responsibilities.

          I get why the immediate neighbors aren't thrilled about it -- the festival really has outgrown the space along the bayou, but moving it elsewhere would change the feel of the event. Definitely a hard spot to be in.

          Comment


          • #6
            I live 2.5 blocks from the Dumaine stage and i agree with many of the complaints jjazz has listed.
            i plan on walking over for tonight - primarily for Dragonsmoke, and hoping a little Boukou first and some Rebels after.
            jjazz, i'm not sure i'd make plans to be outside on Sunday........

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jjazznj View Post
              There is a lot of backlash this year, especially by those who live nearby who were not even told about street closures. The thing has just gone from a nice free neighborhood fest to something much bigger. The people in that hood have just gotten past Jazz Fest and now this which makes it tough to come and go away from their homes. Many do not like the idea that they will be patrolling the bayou, a public space to make sure everyone pays to get in, even those on rafts etc....

              For me personally I don't like the idea that once you go in you cannot leave. I live a few blocks away and it's nice to be able to go home for a few minutes or use your own bathroom. I'm skipping tonight to go see Smashing Pumpkins instead. I may go on Sunday but I doubt it.
              You can come and go if you please.

              Comment


              • #8
                At my neighborhood assn. meeting last night, when Boogaloo came up, there wasn't a single complaint, despite the fact that the meeting attendees skew older and I think I was the only one there actually planning to attend the fest. So the backlash isn't nearly as widespread as a few loud complainers make it seem. Still, I get it, if you live in the immediate vicinity, it's a hassle - but not unlike what Fairgrounds residents go thru with Jazzfest every year.

                Re-entry is allowed with the weekend pass.

                They had early pickup yesterday and today, but at this point, I think it's at the gate only.

                And yeah, I'm excited. I'll be out there all day, every day.
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by swag View Post
                  At my neighborhood assn. meeting last night, when Boogaloo came up, there wasn't a single complaint, despite the fact that the meeting attendees skew older and I think I was the only one there actually planning to attend the fest. So the backlash isn't nearly as widespread as a few loud complainers make it seem. Still, I get it, if you live in the immediate vicinity, it's a hassle - but not unlike what Fairgrounds residents go thru with Jazzfest every year.

                  Re-entry is allowed with the weekend pass.

                  They had early pickup yesterday and today, but at this point, I think it's at the gate only.

                  And yeah, I'm excited. I'll be out there all day, every day.
                  Yep, and if you were on the ball weekend pasdes could be had for less than $30 after tax and fees.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post

                    You can come and go if you please.
                    Only with the weekend pass, not with a daily one.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

                      Only with the weekend pass, not with a daily one.
                      Yea, but weekend passes were freely available for the same price as a single sat or sun ticket if you bought it early. If you didn't, that's on you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                        I live 2.5 blocks from the Dumaine stage and i agree with many of the complaints jjazz has listed.
                        i plan on walking over for tonight - primarily for Dragonsmoke, and hoping a little Boukou first and some Rebels after.
                        jjazz, i'm not sure i'd make plans to be outside on Sunday........
                        Yeah Sunday looks like rain all day. I'm going to Austin on Mon morning for 3 days of non-stop music so it's no big deal to me either way. I kind of wish this fest was earlier in the year or in the Fall. We just had Final 4, FQF and Jazz Fest so I've seen loads of local music just recently.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For me, Boogaloo is yet another of example of "there's no failure like success." It started as a cool, low-budget neighborhood fest, and quite a few people who I consider part of my musical community played and/or attended. As it became more popular it outgrew its site it has tried to make if fit none-the-less. So now they have a much bigger budget, bigger infrastructure festival that requires "bigger name" acts in hopes to draw a paying crowd. We will see if it works, but it doesn't appeal to me. I think they should have stayed small, but it probably wasn't an option either given their logistical problems.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by belyin View Post
                            For me, Boogaloo is yet another of example of "there's no failure like success." It started as a cool, low-budget neighborhood fest, and quite a few people who I consider part of my musical community played and/or attended. As it became more popular it outgrew its site it has tried to make if fit none-the-less. So now they have a much bigger budget, bigger infrastructure festival that requires "bigger name" acts in hopes to draw a paying crowd. We will see if it works, but it doesn't appeal to me. I think they should have stayed small, but it probably wasn't an option either given their logistical problems.
                            Yeah, you can keep the music small and local, but when instead of hundreds of fans, you get tens of thousands, the footprint, the budget, the hassle all has to grow.
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Anyway, great first day at the Boogaloo. It seemed like a larger than usual crowd for a Friday, at least on land; the water was very uncrowded.

                              Hot tip for the weekend: the Ideal Mart across the Bayou at Orleans is inside the fest perimeter, so no problem/security/reentry to shop there and bring stuff to the stages. Regular prices for beer, snacks, and other beverages, so much cheaper then the fest booths. Also Krispy Krunchy chicken. (Only rule, I read, they aren't selling anything in glass). And you should patronize them, other than fest-goers, they're losing a weekend of business.
                              Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X