No announcement yet.

Nobody else excited for Bayou Boogaloo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had a great Friday evening. Friends everywhere I turned, crowds easy, weather with the breeze off the bayou was superb. I was disappointed in the food offerings... the usual 8 or so food vendors by the Dumain stage were replaced by two food trucks. I heard the food booths near the main stage weren't that great. Saw Squirrel Nut Zippers, who were tons of fun, and Soul Rebels, who were great as usual.

Several vendors were cash-less. Tap your wristband that was connected to your card, or swipe your debit/credit card. I'll be taking Swag's suggestion of loading up on ice, water & beer from Ideal Mart.

Ready to go back out today!

Comment

Soul Rebels killed it

Comment

New Soul Finders > Red Barratt (spelling?) and Monk B and the Golden Eagles all killed it

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post
          New Soul Finders > Red Barratt (spelling?) and Monk B and the Golden Eagles all killed it
          Red Baraat, led by Sunny Jain are from Brooklyn. I remember 10 years ago saying they should play down in New Orleans, that they'd fit right in. I guess it just took them a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Red Baraat, led by Sunny Jain are from Brooklyn. I remember 10 years ago saying they should play down in New Orleans, that they'd fit right in. I guess it just took them a while.
            They played Jazzfest in 2011.

Great to hear them locally again tonight!
            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

I think Red Baraat have been here a few times. I heard them at an event in Congo Square for one.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I think Red Baraat have been here a few times. I heard them at an event in Congo Square for one.
                Saw that, too, and a show at Tip's. Great band.
                Last edited by chopitulas; 05-22-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I also enjoyed Los Skarnalas, who I had previously not heard of. Got me up dancing. Red Baraat was the highlight of the day, for sure.

Comment

So far I've made it to the primary act I've wanted to see each day and then left for heat or other commitments.
                    But seeing Dragonsmoke and the Soul Finders on consecutive days has been great so far, not sure i'll make tonight.
                    Seemed like a lot of people were seeing/hearing Marilyn Barbarin for the first time yesterday, great set for them.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
                      So far I've made it to the primary act I've wanted to see each day and then left for heat or other commitments.
                      But seeing Dragonsmoke and the Soul Finders on consecutive days has been great so far, not sure i'll make tonight.
                      Seemed like a lot of people were seeing/hearing Marilyn Barbarin for the first time yesterday, great set for them.

And miss Sonny Landreth closing it out?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterTailTommy View Post

And miss Sonny Landreth closing it out?!?!
                        I was hosting a guitar player for second weekend of fest and have seen Sonny play 75 minutes in the last couple weeks already.
                        And the fact that I'm typing this just before i shut down my office and go home for the day is indicative of the kind of week/month it's been work-wise.
                        Also: hot. I mean Africa hot as neil Simon might say

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

That's good to hear. Fun band.

Comment

I worked with a civil engineer, also named Sunny Singh (trumpet), who'd never heard of the band - tho' he'd been exposed to Punjabi (even had a Dohl drum of his own) music for weddings, etc. , his whole life. I know he finally saw them in S.F., and they played High Sierra Music Fest a couple of times. I think Sunny and I both got a lot out of our chats about the band and the music. One regret - I should've learned to dance Bhangra (see Gurdeep Pandher). It's not too late!
                            Last edited by duende; 05-23-2022, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Also: hot. I mean Africa hot as neil Simon might say
                              In the shade w cool breeze off the bayou, just saying

Comment

Today was a great day at Bayou Boogaloo. Great (cool) weather, great music, great vibe.

Comment

Working...
                                X