Baffling Omissions from Jazz Fest History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kemp View Post
    NRBQ (surprise! although they were once on the bill for a rained out Fest), and, more recently, Larkin Poe.
    I was here for the NRBQ rain out. I believe it was the first Friday in '92 or '93. I was so bummed. But they did do a night show at Jimmy's I went to.

Saw Terry and his wife or girlfriend at Cafe Du Monde and Tommy rummaging through the racks at a record store in the Quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

I was here for the NRBQ rain out. I believe it was the first Friday in '92 or '93. I was so bummed. But they did do a night show at Jimmy's I went to.

Saw Terry and his wife or girlfriend at Cafe Du Monde and Tommy rummaging through the racks at a record store in the Quarter.
      I wish those boys would stop in NOLA again. Even when not playing Fest they used to do night shows during Fest time.

Comment

I wish those boys would stop in NOLA again. Even when not playing Fest they used to do night shows during Fest time.
        They have not been here anywhere in years. I woulda been there.

Comment

As someone said on page one Dave Alvin. He did do a Rock and Bowl appearance during fest with I attended.

Comment

Terry was dating a woman who was the elephant keeper at the zoo back around 1990, and I ran into them at the old All Natural Foods on Magazine St. Terry seemed like the most stoned person I had ever seen in daylight.

I think the last time I heard NRBQ was at the French Quarter Tips, maybe 1999. A great show of course, but I do remember Terry seemed nonplussed by the more touristy environment as he asked "New Orleans--what happened to you?" Before that I had seen them at Uptown Tipitina's and at Jimmy's (with trumpeter Michael Ray sitting in.) In terms of music, it is indeed baffling they have never made it (back) to Jazz Fest, but . . .

Comment

They have not been here anywhere in years. I woulda been there.
              Not since the nineties I don't think. They've done West Coast and Florida, and maybe Texas since, but that's it.

Comment

I am not sure that it qualifies as baffling, but it always surprises me that David Bromberg has never played Jazz Fest. He plays in a variety of genres that fit right in, plus he and Dr. John were very close.

Comment

Does Fairport still tour?
                  Yes, but they haven't been to America in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

Yes, but they haven't been to America in a long while.
                    Who’s in the band no, Simon? Pegg…?

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBrian View Post
                      I am not sure that it qualifies as baffling, but it always surprises me that David Bromberg has never played Jazz Fest. He plays in a variety of genres that fit right in, plus he and Dr. John were very close.
                      I believe Bromberg gave up being a touring musician to become a violin maker (and now is recognized as the expert on American made violins) around 1981. I can't remember him ever performing here, and I have lived here since 1983, but there is a scene of him walking around Bywater with Dr. John and then recording together at Piety Street Studio for a documentary about him "David Bromberg Unsung Hero."
                      Bending musical genres and collaborating with hundreds, we take an in depth look at New York American roots musician, David Bromberg's rise to fame.
                      Last edited by belyin; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I believe Bromberg gave up being a touring musician to become a violin maker (and now is recognized as the expert on American made violins) around 1981. I can't remember him ever performing here, and I have lived here since 1983, but there is a scene of him walking around Bywater with Dr. John and then recording together at Piety Street Studio for a documentary about him "David Bromberg Unsung Hero."
                        That’s right. He did “retire” from the road and was off it for a good part of 20 years, I would guess. He then moved from Chicago to Wilmington, where he started to host jam sessions, and started to perform live with his big band and his quartet/quintet. He’s been doing that for 20 years or so. He has spoken about having essential tremors, which impacts his playing a bit. Still, he and the musicians he plays with are wonderful live. The doc you mention is a great watch.
                        Last edited by BrooklynBrian; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Who’s in the band no, Simon? Pegg…?
                          Simon, Pegg, Ric Sanders, Chris Leslie and Gerry Conway. Has to be the most stable lineup in their history, since Conway is the newest addition and he first played with them in 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

Simon, Pegg, Ric Sanders, Chris Leslie and Gerry Conway. Has to be the most stable lineup in their history, since Conway is the newest addition and he first played with them in 1973.
                            We did their Cropredy festival in 1987 with Mattocks and Marty in the band. Those were good years, too. I'd love to see Fairport at Fest.

Comment

Just one more act you'll now never see at jazzfest. Six US dates remain, I fear this will be one I never see.
                              https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/so...ounce-breakup/

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

Thanks for the link . I've never seen this video .But I'm a big fan and I always thought that David Bromberg would have been great at Jazzfest . I passed the link on to some of my friends who also love Bromberg !

Comment

Working...
                                X