Baffling Omissions from Jazz Fest History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrooklynBrian View Post

That’s right. He did “retire” from the road and was off it for a good part of 20 years, I would guess. He then moved from Chicago to Wilmington, where he started to host jam sessions, and started to perform live with his big band and his quartet/quintet. He’s been doing that for 20 years or so. He has spoken about having essential tremors, which impacts his playing a bit. Still, he and the musicians he plays with are wonderful live. The doc you mention is a great watch.
    Yes, I have seen a him few times at Rhythm & Roots in RI over the past 20 years or so. Always a highlight, especially the epic "I'll Take You Back." Great sets and great band. They put out a live recording of his 2006 Merlefest set with the quartet and it is very representative and worth picking up if you are a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post
      Just one more act you'll now never see at jazzfest. Six US dates remain, I fear this will be one I never see.
      https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/so...ounce-breakup/
      I even mentioned them to Quint a couple of years ago and he said "who"? I got to see them in Brooklyn back in 2018 with Irreversible Entanglements opening. Talk about a killer double bill! I know I've beaten this into the ground on this site but if they played The Fest or at least during at a night show they'd be the talk of the town! Same with Nubya Garcia, Theon Cross, Afa Mist and Ezra Collective. Shabaka was at Pres Hall at one of the Midnight Preserves shows, unfortunately not the (kind of disappointing) one that I attended.

BTW he did not exactly say they were breaking up only that “This year will be the last chance to see us in the form to which you’ve grown accustomed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Yes, I have seen a him few times at Rhythm & Roots in RI over the past 20 years or so. Always a highlight, especially the epic "I'll Take You Back." Great sets and great band. They put out a live recording of his 2006 Merlefest set with the quartet and it is very representative and worth picking up if you are a fan.
        I saw him play solo in a bar in York, PA probably 1977. I was well under age, but those were different times. Odd that he was doing a solo in a dive when he still had a band and records played on FM radio (WMMR in Philadelphia, for one.) And when my father passed my sister took his violins to Bromberg's shop in Wilmington for appraisal and repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Bromberg's early seventies album "How Late'll Ya Play 'Til" consists of one studio and one live recording. Both are fantastic. I'm sure you Bromberg fans have it, and if you don't, try to find it. He does folk, rock and roll, blues, traditional and even a kind of folk rock funk ("Danger Man"). He toured with the bigger band from the live album and put on a fantastic show in Chapel Hill, NC, opening for McQuinn/Hillman/Fury. Saw him once solo acoustically right before he retreated into violin making. Yep, a perfect Jazz Fest fit, preferably on Fais Do Do.
          Last edited by Kemp; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Bromberg's early seventies album "How Late'll Ya Play 'Til" consists of one studio and one live recording. Both are fantastic. I'm sure you Bromberg fans have it, and if you don't, try to find it. He does folk, rock and roll, blues, traditional and even a kind of folk rock rock funk ("Danger Man"). He toured with the bigger band from the live album and put on a fantastic show in Chapel Hill, NC, opening for McQuinn/Hillman/Fury. Saw him once solo acoustically right before he retreated into violin making. Yep, a perfect Jazz Fest fit, preferably on Fais Do Do.
            Thanks. Just added it to my Apple Music library.

Comment

I think that there is a spot for Amber Heard and "All That Jazz"

Comment

Love Bromberg's cover of 'Mr. Bojangles'...

But I also get a kick out of 'I Like to Sleep Late in the Morning'...

Fingers do your stuff !

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I even mentioned them to Quint a couple of years ago and he said "who"? ;
                  I mightve asked the same thing a couple of years ago. But i don't run one of the world's largest music festivals that bills itself as a "jazz"fest. Though I hear there's a petition to that effect, circulating among my OnlyFans followers This bored -- you and a few other true jazz aficionados --- turned me onto a lot of the stuff you mentioned along the Nubya Garcia/Nerija ,Sons of Kemet, Ezra Collective line of stuff, around the same time OZ turned me onto the Instigation Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Bromberg's early seventies album "How Late'll Ya Play 'Til" consists of one studio and one live recording. Both are fantastic. I'm sure you Bromberg fans have it, and if you don't, try to find it. He does folk, rock and roll, blues, traditional and even a kind of folk rock rock funk ("Danger Man"). He toured with the bigger band from the live album and put on a fantastic show in Chapel Hill, NC, opening for McQuinn/Hillman/Fury. Saw him once solo acoustically right before he retreated into violin making. Yep, a perfect Jazz Fest fit, preferably on Fais Do Do.
                    I saw David one day in a used record store in Chicago, and his wife was absolutely nagging the &%#} out of him. I didn’t know if saying what a big fan I was would make it better or worse so I just gave him the GuyLook

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post

I saw David one day in a used record store in Chicago, and his wife was absolutely nagging the &%#} out of him. I didn’t know if saying what a big fan I was would make it better or worse so I just gave him the GuyLook
                      Perhaps his inspirational muse for "I'll Take You Back"?.......

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I even mentioned them to Quint a couple of years ago and he said "who"? I got to see them in Brooklyn back in 2018 with Irreversible Entanglements opening. Talk about a killer double bill! I know I've beaten this into the ground on this site but if they played The Fest or at least during at a night show they'd be the talk of the town! Same with Nubya Garcia, Theon Cross, Afa Mist and Ezra Collective. Shabaka was at Pres Hall at one of the Midnight Preserves shows, unfortunately not the (kind of disappointing) one that I attended.

BTW he did not exactly say they were breaking up only that “This year will be the last chance to see us in the form to which you’ve grown accustomed.”
                        Lucky me - i am getting to see a Sons of Kemet with Nubya Garcia show at Love Supreme Festival in Sussex, UK on 3rd July - it promises to be an epic set.

Ezra Collective, Charles Lloyd, Mulatu Astatke, Gary Bartz & Maisha, Lady Blackbird and good old Jon Cleary and the Gents are also on the bill, plus headliners Gregory Porter and Erykah Badu.

Artists | Love Supreme – Love Supreme (lovesupremefestival.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post

Lucky me - i am getting to see a Sons of Kemet with Nubya Garcia show at Love Supreme Festival in Sussex, UK on 3rd July - it promises to be an epic set.

Ezra Collective, Charles Lloyd, Mulatu Astatke, Gary Bartz & Maisha, Lady Blackbird and good old Jon Cleary and the Gents are also on the bill, plus headliners Gregory Porter and Erykah Badu.

I'd love to see Mulatu Astatke. One of my faves! That's some lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Rob View Post

I'd be jealous, if I wasn't there too!

Comment

Now that is a great lineup! I am jealous.

I wonder which of Charles Lloyd's great bands will be with him. I saw he has a new Trios album coming with 3 different groups, one which includes Bill Frisell.

EDIT: Actually, it is a Trio of Trios, three different albums with three different trios. The first is with Bill and bassist Thomas Morgan (who is from my hometown Hayward, CA.) I enjoy the duo albums Bill and Thomas have done so I know I will get that one!

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...ve-albums/?amp

Last edited by chopitulas; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
                                Now that is a great lineup! I am jealous.

I wonder which of Charles Lloyd's great bands will be with him. I saw he has a new Trios album coming with 3 different groups, one which includes Bill Frisell.
                                Speaking of Bill Frisell and other luminaries who have never played Jazz Fest, the Chicago Jazz Fest has released their headliners for Labor Day weekend: Henry Threadgill and Zooid, Bill Frisell, William Parker and his quintet, Miguel Zenón, Linda May Han Oh and Jazzmeia Horn. [William Parker has played many times with Kidd Jordan but never as a leader under his own name. Not sure about Zenón and Oh, but again never as leaders.] From a musical (i.e., not a commercial market) perspective this is a very strong and prestigious line-up, and when joined by the wealth of Chicago talent always offered this promises to be a great free festival.

Comment

Working...
                                X