No announcement yet.

Baffling Omissions from Jazz Fest History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazzmaia Horn, I heard part of one of her sets at Winterjazzfest a few years ago, and it was a very odd experience for me. On the way in, it was like there was an audible buzz about her, and the audience absolutely loved her, whereas I found her to be terrible, one of the worst jazz singers I've ever heard. I had to flee to the lobby to wait for the next set.
    Last edited by kh1958; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chopitulas View Post
      Now that is a great lineup! I am jealous.

I wonder which of Charles Lloyd's great bands will be with him. I saw he has a new Trios album coming with 3 different groups, one which includes Bill Frisell.

EDIT: Actually, it is a Trio of Trios, three different albums with three different trios. The first is with Bill and bassist Thomas Morgan (who is from my hometown Hayward, CA.) I enjoy the duo albums Bill and Thomas have done so I know I will get that one!

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/...ve-albums/?amp
      I really enjoyed Mr Lloyd when he played Da Fest a few years back with Lucinda and that killer band.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I really enjoyed Mr Lloyd when he played Da Fest a few years back with Lucinda and that killer band.
        That was a great show. I didn't care much for the corresponding album with Lucinda. The excessive free jazz with the reed torturing high notes just don't grab my ear.

Comment

One of the many great things about this site is getting "hipped" to bands I'd never heard. Add Sons of Kemet to the list.....Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
            Jazzmaia Horn, I heard part of one of her sets at Winterjazzfest a few years ago, and it was a very odd experience for me. On the way in, it was like there was an audible buzz about her, and the audience absolutely loved her, whereas I found her to be terrible, one of the worst jazz singers I've ever heard. I had to flee to the lobby to wait for the next set.
            I tend to flee to the lobby for the sets of most "jazz" singers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

I tend to flee to the lobby for the sets of most "jazz" singers these days.
              I'm right with ya. Have felt that way for many years. There are a select few like Cassandra Wilson but overall I like my jazz instrumental.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I'm right with ya. Have felt that way for many years. There are a select few like Cassandra Wilson but overall I like my jazz instrumental.
                Cassandra Wilson doesn't sing to prove she is a "jazz" singer. She sings to express herself; i.e., she's got what used to be called "soul."

Comment

Working...
                X