Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCartney

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • McCartney

    Just saw Paul ( sir Paul rings weird to me) at a stadium concert at Camden yards. Packed house, beautiful night. My first stadim concert in close to 30 years (Zootropia and the '89 Stones Steel Wheels tour). Maybe I'm amazed at the way the 'sound' has improved so much at a show this huge. Anyway, 1st class entertanment with Paul on 7 instruments by my count, Bass, electric guitar, 'acoustic' guitar, mandolin, piano, tack piano, and a surprise ukelele first verse start to ' Something' ,that was cooooool. 2 1/2 hours singing 35 songs at just about 80 in the original keys? I mean seriously, human or machine. Brought me some tears of joy more than once, saw a zillion other geezer friends walking around before the show.
    Tix prices were outlandish and we had some 'obstructed', a little from the side seats at $175 and I think the floor seats were $600 or so. Nutso. I still have not broken my $100 ceiling technically as the seats were a gift? That day is coming soon, passed on Hiatt and the Goners cause it was over $100 dinero.
    Anyway, had never seen McCArtney........ CHECK,........and it was AWESOME!!!
    Guess we will never see him at fest, too much $$$$$ for Quint to roll in even with a Stones type scenario. Gratuitously threw that in just to make it a legitmate forum topic.
    Last edited by larrybalmur; 2 weeks ago.

  • #2
    Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post
    Just saw Paul ( sir Paul rings weird to me) at a stadium concert at Camden yards. Packed house, beautiful night. My first stadim concert in close to 30 years (Zootropia and the '89 Stones Steel Wheels tour). Maybe I'm amazed at the way the 'sound' has improved so much at a show this huge. Anyway, 1st class entertanment with Paul on 7 instruments by my count, Bass, electric guitar, 'acoustic' guitar, mandolin, piano, tack piano, and a surprise ukelele first verse start to ' Something' ,that was cooooool. 2 1/2 hours singing 35 songs at just about 80 in the original keys? I mean seriously, human or machine. Brought me some tears of joy more than once, saw a zillion other geezer friends walking around before the show.
    Tix prices were outlandish and we had some 'obstructed', a little from the side seats at $175 and I think the floor seats were $600 or so. Nutso. I still have not broken my $100 ceiling technically as the seats were a gift? That day is coming soon, passed on Hiatt and the Goners cause it was over $100 dinero.
    Anyway, had never seen McCArtney........ CHECK,........and it was AWESOME!!!
    Guess we will never see him at fest, too much $$$$$ for Quint to roll in even with a Stones type scenario. Gratuitously threw that in just to make it a legitmate forum topic.
    Everyone I know has given basically the same report as you, even about the ticket prices. The Cute One is on my bucket list if we both make it long enough. I'm sure Quint would love to have him especially since there is a New Orleans/McCartney connection. That would be something.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by larrybalmur View Post
      Just saw Paul ( sir Paul rings weird to me) at a stadium concert at Camden yards. Packed house, beautiful night. My first stadim concert in close to 30 years (Zootropia and the '89 Stones Steel Wheels tour). Maybe I'm amazed at the way the 'sound' has improved so much at a show this huge. Anyway, 1st class entertanment with Paul on 7 instruments by my count, Bass, electric guitar, 'acoustic' guitar, mandolin, piano, tack piano, and a surprise ukelele first verse start to ' Something' ,that was cooooool. 2 1/2 hours singing 35 songs at just about 80 in the original keys? I mean seriously, human or machine. Brought me some tears of joy more than once, saw a zillion other geezer friends walking around before the show.
      Tix prices were outlandish and we had some 'obstructed', a little from the side seats at $175 and I think the floor seats were $600 or so. Nutso. I still have not broken my $100 ceiling technically as the seats were a gift? That day is coming soon, passed on Hiatt and the Goners cause it was over $100 dinero.
      Anyway, had never seen McCArtney........ CHECK,........and it was AWESOME!!!
      Guess we will never see him at fest, too much $$$$$ for Quint to roll in even with a Stones type scenario. Gratuitously threw that in just to make it a legitmate forum topic.
      Larry we were there too! I teared up a few times. Amazing show. My son loved it--his first stadium show. Very special!

      Comment


      • #4
        My wife and I were there. It was a great show. No maybes, I was amazed at the pure display of talent (and endurance at six days short of 80) by Sir Paul. Like Larry and Brooklyngal, I had tears in my eyes on more than one occasion during the evening.

        Comment


        • #5
          First saw him in 1990 at Memorial Stadium in Berkelely, and then again 5 years ago at MSG.

          Thought I was overpaying beforehand both times, and left feeling it was priceless.

          Especially the most recent one. The daughter I took to that show says the "Hey, Jude" was the happiest moment of her life; of course, I can't hear it now without thinking about that, and getting a little misty...

          I still maintain that he is the most popular human being on the planet, and has been for more than 50 years. Pretty amazing.


          Comment


          • #6


            Thought I was overpaying beforehand both times, and left feeling it was priceless.

            Perfectly said, Lit.

            Comment


            • #7
              I did stuff looking after the VIPS at several of Maccas shows down here on the last tour, and an old cynic like me thoroughly enjoyed all of the shows, both indoors and out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Awesome! I get the Shorty threauxdown rolling thru town on Juneteenth then I’ll see ya at Redwing Friday next.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lit View Post
                  First saw him in 1990 at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley...
                  I was at those shows. I was ushering for Bill Graham Presents and we were inside one of the days for sound check and Paul acknowledged out group and sang to us.

                  Last ever concerts at Memorial Stadium (I had thought that they were the only shows, but setlist.fm tells me that The Band played there in 1974).

                  Very special, indeed!

                  I had seen him at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit singing with Tony Bennett and that was sweet as well.

                  Cheers.
                  Last edited by brpfest; 2 weeks ago.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brpfest View Post

                    I was at those shows. I was ushering for Bill Graham Presents and we were inside one of the days for sound check and Paul acknowledged out group and sang to us.

                    Last ever concerts at Memorial Stadium (I had thought that they were the only shows, but setlist.fm tells me that The Band played there in 1974).

                    Very special, indeed!

                    I had seen him at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit singing with Tony Bennett and that was sweet as well.

                    Cheers.
                    Ha, I ushered for BGP at the Warfield from ‘89-‘90. Worked most JGB shows and lots of others during that year. Did you do Warfield shows, too?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lit View Post

                      Ha, I ushered for BGP at the Warfield from ‘89-‘90. Worked most JGB shows and lots of others during that year. Did you do Warfield shows, too?

                      Yup. My first ever BGP show was Sam Kinnison at the Warfield in '87. Seems I did a number of shows in '87 and then nothing until 92 (Jerry Band) and then started more seriously in '93. (I keep all my shows since moving to the Bay Area in a spreadsheet since I'm both a music junkie and a geek).

                      Then got into BGP and did it for about 20 years on a pretty regular basis at a number of venues...as far away as Eugene for the Dead.

                      Good memories...what I remember...

                      Cheers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lit View Post

                        Ha, I ushered for BGP at the Warfield from ‘89-‘90. Worked most JGB shows and lots of others during that year. Did you do Warfield shows, too?
                        I was a BGP usher at the Warfield throughout the 90's, too. And did several shows at the Coliseum...a couple of Stones tours (Voodoo Lounge, for sure) and Pink Floyd's "Division Bell" tour. Also did a few at Berkeley Community Theater...great solo shows by Neil Young and Springsteen. And I ushered several for Wavy Gravy's SEVA Benefits, one at the Masonic in SF and one at the BCT I distinctly remember.

                        Right before I moved to NOLA in 2000, I had enough seniority with Tina, the sweet gal who ran the ushering at the Warfield, to get to do it at the Fillmore. They didn't need more than a few people there and my job was to stand in front of the soundboard. I met a guy who was tapped into the soundboard so I got a free show, CD's from the guy's recording and a poster. That was a good one!

                        At the Pink Floyd show, my buddy and I were on the grass near the soundboard wearing our required black jacket/white shirt. A gal came up to us and asked, "Do you travel with the band?" Yeah, we are their highly trained ushering krewe... At one of the Stones shows, they sound checked "Wild Horses" in street clothes with only us ushers there.

                        It was a fun deal. Every once in a while, you got a shitty assignment but, in the main, it was easy peasy.
                        Last edited by chopitulas; 2 weeks ago.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by chopitulas View Post

                          I was a BGP usher at the Warfield throughout the 90's, too. And did several shows at the Coliseum...a couple of Stones tours (Voodoo Lounge, for sure) and Pink Floyd's "Division Bell" tour. Also did a few at Berkeley Community Theater...great solo shows by Neil Young and Springsteen. And I ushered several for Wavy Gravy's SEVA Benefits, one at the Masonic in SF and one at the BCT I distinctly remember.

                          Right before I moved to NOLA in 2000, I had enough seniority with Tina, the sweet gal who ran the ushering at the Warfield, to get to do it at the Fillmore. They didn't need more than a few people there and my job was to stand in front of the soundboard. I met a guy who was tapped into the soundboard so I got a free show, CD's from the guy's recording a a poster. That was a good one!.
                          Damn I really feel like I'm home here. Voodoo Lounge (all 4, I believe) shows. Division Bell, Metallica...

                          I was at the Warfield and Fillmore much in the 90s. We likely met on more than one occasion.

                          Still have my mug from the Neil Solo Acoustic show at BCT. Was at Ghost of Tom Joad with Bruce. I was going to school at Berkeley and lived 3 blocks from BCT.

                          A bunch of cool Fillmore shows: Townshend (got my poster signed), Elvis and Steve Nieve. Highlight may have been Clapton and the Fillmore.

                          Tina's machine message still resonates all these years later "See you at the shows. Peace."


                          Cheers.
                          Last edited by brpfest; 2 weeks ago.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X