Mistakes People Make At Music Festivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistakes People Make At Music Festivals

I ran across this amusing story on Huffington Post.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mista...b0415d4d8900b1

Mostly pretty good advice.

Not mentioned is something I heard on that wonderful Cube Recommendations episode of the Talking Threadheads podcast: something to the effect of not leaving a good show for a _potentially_ good show. I sure wish I had known that in my younger days.

I think that was Jordan's interview on TTH....

Comment

Lost me right at the start.........

He recommended treating the first day of a music festival the same way you would your first day at school or college.

“Back in the old days of 2015, our group would designate a central meeting area in case anyone got separated or people were bouncing out to other shows,” Valentinetti said. “Because cell phones can still be lost, have no battery, or service is down, this low-tech method still works best for meetups.”

Geez, Kids today. Us older folks. Well don't get me started.

you can pretty much ask anyone....that is why Woodstock was a disaster. Cellphones went dead.
      Last edited by 20/20; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
        Lost me right at the start.........

He recommended treating the first day of a music festival the same way you would your first day at school or college.

“Back in the old days of 2015, our group would designate a central meeting area in case anyone got separated or people were bouncing out to other shows,” Valentinetti said. “Because cell phones can still be lost, have no battery, or service is down, this low-tech method still works best for meetups.”

Geez, Kids today. Us older folks. Well don't get me started.

you can pretty much ask anyone....that is why Woodstock was a disaster. Cellphones went dead.
        I skimmed over it, mostly nonsense.

I just can't keep looking at my phone at the fest. If I lose people so be it, we'll catch up later. If you lose your phone or run out of juice well........

The worst was back in the day if you lost your friend who was the only one with the weed! That's not a problem anymore for me. Haha.

Comment

I confess that I was pretty much being a cranky old geezer and casting stones.
          Last edited by 20/20; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I thought it was all good advice- maybe not rewriting the book- but still, solid.

the “don’t leave good music…” thing has been expressed by several people - I think Swag has said
            it on the podcast. I may have also.

Comment

"He recommended treating the first day of a music festival the same way you would your first day at school or college. Take the time to get your bearings, establish your crew, familiarize yourself with the landscape and check out the amenities and concessions." Is this serious?

“Strike a balance between doing all of your research and going with the flow,” Too funny.

Not trying to be negative but it seems written for 15 year olds. It doesn't even touch on how important stuff like how to sneak things like booze, weed and other things into any fest!

I get the don't leave good music and sometimes I do just stay and watch an entire set but a fest like JF for me is a chance to sample as many acts as possible and if I really like someone I'll go check them out at one of their own shows sometime.

Comment

I leave good music at Jazzfest all the time, since most sets at fest qualify as good. What I say is, "Never leave something great".
                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

It seriously reads like an elders guide to Oldchella, though neosporin and bandaids weren't mentioned even once. Also - no pro tips on locating one's car after the festival.

It's called a portable power bank, folks... you might need to bring an extra charging cable to maximize its efficiency, however.

I was marveling at Fest this year that there is still no music festival app that will track your location throughout a festival's grounds and show you who is on the various stages in real time (food booths and menus could be linked as well). Of course, such an app could make the flags-at-Fest obsolete.

And it may be time to sit down and watch this documentary:

Comment

There has always been this good advice for Jam Cruise (or any "floating" festival on a ship). "Elevator Up, Stairs Down"

Comment

Listicle from "sources" with a website or guide to plug. Uh huh.

Comment

Hmm, the final item: Wet Ones...you may reach into a purse and find it's full of vomit!? Serves you right for pickpocketing!

Comment

I never agree with those who say, "Jazzfest is a marathon, not a sprint" I think it is actually a marathon of sprints

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                            I never agree with those who say, "Jazzfest is a marathon, not a sprint" I think it is actually a marathon of sprints
                            I guess if you go everyday it's a marathon (and quite pricey these days). Most days I go seem to fly by in a flash.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I guess if you go everyday it's a marathon (and quite pricey these days). Most days I go seem to fly by in a flash.
                              I've done every day of Jazz Fest since I retired from full time work in 2008. The days do fly by and blend together. Exhausting, but worth it, and you're damn straight getting pricier all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X